F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

6.0 safe mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
most people stick with simple mods because they want to keep there warranty...

Also...the 6.0 has issues in stock form, mods aren't always the cause.

Last edited by FL4X4; 09-05-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
so an exhaust wont do anything for that?
a stock 6.0 can blow smoke, the one in my sig is bone stock but with the muffler cut off and it'll smoke every now and then, but not all the time

Old 09-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Suspended
i drove a f250 6.0 today at work with an edge. not even a puff.
drove an 03 7.3 f350 blew a huge cloud.

Last edited by 06yz250f; 02-18-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by bigorangecntry0
some of you guys sounds lame... and what i mean by that is your scared to put a friggin exhaust on your truck cause you might blow head gaskets?? please gtfo if you really believe that garbage... and unless theres a huge difference between the 04 and 05 6.0L, YOU SHOULD DEFINATLY GET AN AIR INTAKE!!!! i put an airaid intake on my dads 04 6.0 cc longbed, the throttle response after was amazing!!! oh and if you plan on running a tuner you dont need to worry about head gaskets at all, just the egr system. you need to just delete it and move on. im planing on running a SCT tunner X3, a 4" straight pipe exhaust, and eventually some mild injectors. head studs are the least of my worries and if it blows a gasket then ill do them then, but dont be so overly concernd with it that you dont upgrade you truck at all.. thats just plain stupid.
you plan on running stuff, with your daddys truck you HOPE he gives you?

some of us cant afford $1500 to do a head gasket job on our trucks, so why just push it over the edge to do it and it be our fault?

can you pull the entire body off your dads truck and do the head gaskets? doubt it.

if you mod a truck and dont have deep pockets, which you apparently think you do (thank daddy), why tempt it?

Last edited by 06yz250f; 02-18-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by fordf350
it'll smoke every now and then, but not all the time
What?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:44 PM
my friends 6.0 w/ a bully dog will blow black smoke but you gotta get on it and when you do its a decent cloud not HUGE but its noticeable

Old 09-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$1500 for headgaskets.... ROFL

that must be some cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap labor....

although some guys can get the cab off in 12 minutes... But you dont put head bolts back in if your smart, you do ARP studs and those are around $400 themselves...

Old 09-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Suspended
oh, and trying to get a 6.0 to black smoke, if not the birghtest idea.... this is why they have horrible EGR problems.... Have any of you tried to pry a EGR valve out of a 6.0 that was so caked up then you couldnt see the valve????

haz

Old 09-06-2009, 05:15 PM
From my experience with my 6.0, you can have problems whether you are bone stock or you have done numerous mods to it.

I had to have the EGR cooler replaced twice when bone stock and once with an aftermarket tuner and exhaust. I do not believe those mods had anything to do with the EGR cooler going bad the 3rd. time.

When I did have a K&N filter kit on my truck, I do believe that it lead to turbo damage by not filtering enough of the finer particles and it dusted the turbo. The stock filter system does an incredible job at filtering and still giving the 6.0 plenty off air to breath with. If you are trying to put out about 500+ HP, then you would probably wanna do a good proven aftermarket air intake system.

It all boils down to this in my opinion. If you wanna keep your truck bone stock, do so and that is OK, but don't knock what you don't know about or have any experience with firsthand.

If you wanna make your truck the baddest mother on the planet and do all kinds of mods to it, that is OK too. Just be prepared to PAY if you PLAY.

I have chosen to play a little bit. It has been costly at times, but has also been fun and educating.

I guess I can thank my Daddy for the HOT ROD genes from his younger days of building engines and drag racing cars.

Lets just all get along and try to help each other out when we have problems with
our trucks. Getting into slamming matches with each other doesn't do anyone any good.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:40 PM
an aftermarket exhaust will not a hurt a 6.0 at all it will help it out by running cooler egt's.
an aftermarket intake can be helpfull but to the one that has to replace the stock air filter everytime it needs changing because its a pain to get out. aftermarket filter is really easy to change or clean but is not needed on these engines stock filter is just fine to around 500hp.
on tuners you have to use your head when using them you cant just turn it all the way up and hold it to the floor all of the time your engine and tranny wont hold up to that kind of abuse. and some tuners are easier on the trucks than others and custom tunes are really the way to go as long as the person tuning it knows what there doing. its not just the engines that can be destroyed on these trucks the tranny's can be to.
on my truck i have an 06 6.0 and have been running a 4" dp 5" exhaust, bd tuner, s&b intake since it had 20k miles on it and i have 125k on it now never had any puking or really any other problems out of it. at 50k it had some injector , egr, ficm harness problems but was due to the harness having a hole rubbed in it and the wires shorting to the block and was replaced at ford under warranty and havent had another problem out of it since.
the main thing to worry about on your 6.0 is your oil cooler, egr valve,egr cooler and keeping up with the regular maintenance as in oil changes you have to keep the oil clean in these engines because thats what makes your injectors work. dirty oil leads to injector problems & hpop problems.
also fuel filters have to be kept up low fuel pressure will cause injectors to fail as in when your filters get all clogged up.

like some of the other members have said stock trucks can have alot of problems too i have friends that have had blown head gaskets, egr coolers, oil coolers go out when just using the truck for dd completely bone stock. so its not just tuners and mods causing problems. the most problems people have with using tuners on there trucks is that they dont think when they use them and just run the dog crap out of the truck.

Last edited by jrfonte; 09-06-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by jrfonte
an aftermarket exhaust will not a hurt a 6.0 at all it will help it out by running cooler egt's.
an aftermarket intake can be helpfull but to the one that has to replace the stock air filter everytime it needs changing because its a pain to get out. aftermarket filter is really easy to change or clean but is not needed on these engines stock filter is just fine to around 500hp.
on tuners you have to use your head when using them you cant just turn it all the way up and hold it to the floor all of the time your engine and tranny wont hold up to that kind of abuse. and some tuners are easier on the trucks than others and custom tunes are really the way to go as long as the person tuning it knows what there doing. its not just the engines that can be destroyed on these trucks the tranny's can be to.
on my truck i have an 06 6.0 and have been running a 4" dp 5" exhaust, bd tuner, s&b intake since it had 20k miles on it and i have 125k on it now never had any puking or really any other problems out of it. at 50k it had some injector , egr, ficm harness problems but was due to the harness having a hole rubbed in it and the wires shorting to the block and was replaced at ford under warranty and havent had another problem out of it since.
the main thing to worry about on your 6.0 is your oil cooler, egr valve,egr cooler and keeping up with the regular maintenance as in oil changes you have to keep the oil clean in these engines because thats what makes your injectors work. dirty oil leads to injector problems & hpop problems.
also fuel filters have to be kept up low fuel pressure will cause injectors to fail as in when your filters get all clogged up.

like some of the other members have said stock trucks can have alot of problems too i have friends that have had blown head gaskets, egr coolers, oil coolers go out when just using the truck for dd completely bone stock. so its not just tuners and mods causing problems. the most problems people have with using tuners on there trucks is that they dont think when they use them and just run the dog crap out of the truck.
Very good post jr.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by BamaSixGun
Very good post jr.
indeed

Old 09-07-2009, 04:21 PM
thanks i believe someone asked about mpg in an earlier post so i also forgot to add that stock i was getting around 18mpg no mods at all . after 33" tires 20" rims , exhaust, cia, tuner, i am now getting around 20 to 22mpg on hwy driving 70 to 85mph and most of the time i run the programmer on stock setting but the engine wasnt even broke in before mods at 20k miles

Old 09-08-2009, 11:43 AM
So in summary, the safest mod for a 6.0 liter Powerstroke is one of those air fresheners that hangs from the rear view mirror.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
So in summary, the safest mod for a 6.0 liter Powerstroke is one of those air fresheners that hangs from the rear view mirror.

I like the Southern Pine smelly trees.

Quick Reply: 6.0 safe mods