F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

GM diesel is not so bad!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-1999, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry GM diesel is not so bad!!

I saw the way Hoot was run out in the other topic, and honestly Fast and the other guys, you were waayyyy to quick to jump on him for owning a chevy.
YOU DO NOT own a diesel, you do not have the long term exp. that diesel owners obviously have. Maybe his GM diesel will outrun a PSD. WHO CARES!!! All diesels are slow, they are not designed to go fast, they are designed to pull, period.
If some guy thinks that his GM will beat a PSD, who are you to say that it won't?
I know that we're a bunch of Ford lovers on this site, but when a guy comes aboard and merely says his GM runs well, don't treat it like the end of the world. Lighten up or get a life!!!

By the way if GM diesels are so bad, why are 99.9999% of all the tow trucks driving around here GM diesels? I know a couple tow truck drivers, and for the most part they seem to be a close knit bunch. If there were a problem with their trucks you can bet that word would spread like wild fire. This does not seem to be the case.

Old 11-06-1999, 04:09 PM
Thumbs down

Im not going to feed the fire here, but as YOU should know, he started of WAYYY to quick here. I remeber this "CHECK THIS OUT, READ IT AND WEEP!" And actually, the reason Detroit Diesel sells so many diesels for towing companies, is because Ford {navistar} uses its diesel engine {just the T444E}in all buses, recreational vehicles, etc , Cummins is in bulldozers, etc. and GM doesnt use that many applications. Towing, Few Hummers, and thats it for the size engine. Why does everyone know that the 6.5 runs terrible? Because there is a problem and it spread like a wild fire. And about HOOT, Steve kicked him off for his rude behavior. He was almost kick of Ford-diesel.com too for the same reason. I wouldnt take it either. Sorry, but thats my opinion.

Old 11-06-1999, 08:37 PM
NotirT: Again you are stating a OPINION. Maybe you should go back and re-read my posts. You will realize that I have Driven a 6.5L and a PSD. The chevy that I drove DID NOT! Out run a PSD. Yes I agree that, he does have a nice truck. AND I am sure that his Diesel is built better than most 6.5L's. I guess I should do what my Fast does and include my dad's trucks to mine...

Here they be:

1998 Chevrolet X-tended Cab 3rd door, shortbed 2wd, 350 auto 3:73 LS Bug shield, bedliner, rails, trailer package. Cd/cass. player 40/60 benchw/power Completely loaded

1996 Chevrolet Suburban 2wd, Black/Silver rear tailgate. Cloth 40/60 bench, CD player, trailer package Loaded

1992 Chevy x-cab 4x4 350 auto, 3:73 rear Trailer package, buckets and cass, player Tinted windows, LT245/75R16. Teal Green with Grey buckets.

I know MANY people who have had/have 6.5L and most HAVE traded for PSD's or Cummins. I agree that Chevy most likely will have a good diesel. And who knows..I may own one someday..(not likely)...

------------------

1993 F-150 302/e4od/355 Limited slip. dual exhuast w/o mufflers,2 1/4" pipes with Echo Tips, headers, accel plugs/wires(8.6mm)/rotor/cap, hypertech powermodule,5% dark tint. Alpine cd player and Pioneer speakers.

1989 F-150 XLT 4x4 302/aod true duals with turbo mufflers, 30X9.50" wild country tires, 3:55 gears w/LS(want after market LS for front) 4" SuperLift would be nice too!

Future SuperDuty owner: But I have it the sheet filled:

F-350 SuperCab Longbed, 4x4, offroad pkg. Powerstroke(Duh!) Auto, 3:73Ls Oxford White with grey bench and VERY dark tinted windows. Maybe someday I can afford 33x12.50 BFG's Mud Terrain! Whatcha Think?

Old 11-06-1999, 10:22 PM
Smile

Fella's
I don't want to start a war over this but I have driven many GMs and PSD as company trucks. To me, the differences are negligable, because I don't tow anything really heavy and have no need for a diesel.

The real point here is don't take offence and come down so hard on those that simply like GM trucks. I love my Ford as you guys do, but you have to respect GMs C/K series trucks. They have proven themselves time and time again to be true workhorses. I just hope that the 97 and up F series can one day boast of that kind of ability/reliabilty.

------------------
99 2wd S/C s/b XLT 4.6 Triton auto. w/3.08
BONE STOCK...for now

Old 11-06-1999, 10:32 PM
Agreed 100%! The F-150 should be trying to hold up its 22 year stretch for being number 1 in truck sales. In other words it should be the best of all time! Beat the older F-150's like mine, the ram, and the c/k/silverado. Its gotta a long time to go, before the next F-150 and its gotta keep it's place at top....

Old 11-07-1999, 11:53 AM
NotirT,

I have no problem with GM truck owners. They are nice guys, like everyone else except hoot. Put it this way, does a truck's brand change a person's personality? No, but once again, an exception for Hoot.

Old 11-08-1999, 08:38 PM
In case some of you haven't noticed, American made pickup trucks are the single most influential vehicle when it comes to brand loyalty and pride. No other vehicle in the world is more respected and as highly thought of a as a FORD, ch***, or do*** truck is by their owners. That fact is obviously notable, I think, in the majority of the posts on this BB. Us guys are proud of our trucks and I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say that we will automatically put down the competitors because of our loyalty...we may not have the facts and figures, but it's in our testosterone! True we shouldn't attack eachother, but it's bound to happen in a forum like this one. Naturally, in a FORD atmosphere, we're not going to sit here and compliment a guy who's bragging about a chevy or dodge! Get over it! Also, I'd be one to seriously argue the 99.999999% figure given. Next time you're out, take notice to the construction vehicles, the road crews, mini-buses, school buses....even tow trucks! Most guys near me run PSD's to run their tow trucks!

------------------
97 Bright Red, S/C, Off Road XLT, 4.6, 5speed, 3.55 LS.
Lighted Sunvisor, Bug shield, Nerf Bars, Mud Flaps,
Leer Signature Series Cap (for winter), Flowmaster 40 series,
Airbox mods, K&N, Bosch +4's, Complete Eclipse Stereo System.

Old 11-09-1999, 01:30 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I too, have no wish to "feed the flames", so to speak, but I thought you might be interested in knowing something.

Back when Superchips was first doing the R&D for the Powerstroke diesel engines, they also wanted to develop a chip for the GM diesel. They ended up never releasing it, because of the lack of durability in GM's diesel. The GM diesel sheared the snout right off the front of the crankshaft! Superchips would *love* to release a product for the GM diesel, but they won't, due to that engine's inability to withstand any substantial power gain. Superchips did not feel safe increasing power *at all* in the GM diesel.

The Powerstroke diesel, on the other hand, is capable of withstanding power levels far above what it produces from the factory.

Now none of this means that people who are happy with their GM diesels *shouldn't* be, and that's perhaps the only thing that really matters; whether the vehicle's *owner* likes his truck or not.

Our bests to all,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 11-09-1999, 03:45 PM
And remember people, its not a GM built engine, its Detroit Diesels. Wonder what the Duramax will be like though.

Old 11-09-1999, 04:29 PM
J-C
Cool

The only thing that interested me about our friend, Hoot's, original post was the Allison transmission. I'd like to know more about that. Just curious.

Old 11-09-1999, 06:09 PM
I would like to have an allison replacement for my E40d!!!!!! Detroit's suck!

Old 11-09-1999, 07:48 PM
Fast46, I might be wrong, but the Chevy 6.5L diesel is not built by Detroit. I don't even think it was designed by Detroit. Detroit Diesel isn't even a GM company anymore. I know you can't buy a Detroit Diesel 6.5L because it doesn't exist. The 6.5L is a 4 stroke engine while all the Detroit engines I'm familiar with are 2 stroke.

Old 11-09-1999, 08:40 PM
Detroit diesel? I've never even heard of that before! Maybe thats why they sucked so much!

Old 11-09-1999, 08:58 PM
From everything I have heard and read the 6.5 is a Detroit.

Old 11-10-1999, 03:17 PM
The old 6.2 may have been designed by Detroit back in the early 80s when it was still a division of GM, but the 6.5 is built by Chevrolet. Detroit built impressive (but dirty) 2-stroke diesels. Detroit's expertise has always been in 2-stroke diesels.

I can only guess at why Chevy had Detroit design the 4-stroke 6.2. It's probably because the 4-stroke is a cleaner engine. I don't recall Detroit ever selling either the 6.2 or 6.5 4-stroke diesel.

btw, when I say dirty, I'm talking about the 2-stroke Detroit's penchant for throwing atomized lube oil all over the engine compartment. Airsep filters have pretty much eliminated that, btw.

The old 6.2 has a good reputation for durability. The 6.5 is a totally different matter. I know of a ton of 6.2L diesels still running around. The owners love them except for them being a bit anemic when compared to the new diesels. I know of several 6.5L owners who hate them. One guy I know has been towed 4 times in 5 years and his truck spends several days a year in the shop. He's the typical Chevy owner, but I still have hope for him.

Quick Reply: GM diesel is not so bad!!