Old 05-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing fuel filter.

I am going to be changing the Fuel filter on my Dads, 250, 7.3, 2000,
i was wondering
A. if it was inline(like a 150)
B. if the procedure is similar to a 150 FF change
C. what precautions to take.
D. and if i would have to bleed the line like when it would run out of fuel.
Thanx

Old 05-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Does the 7.3L have two fuel filters like the 6.4L does?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 PM
It is NOTHING like a F-150 fuel filter change. The fuel filter on a 7.3 is under the Powerstroke cover under the hood. Take that cover off, then you'll see a circular lid. On the back of that lid, there is a yellow lever. Open the lever to drain the diesel out of the fuel bowl. You'll want to put a drain pain underneath the passenger side of the truck, right under the axle to catch all the diesel, about 12oz will come out. Or, find where the line goes and put a bottle under it. After you've drained it, close the valve, take the cap off, remove the filter and the old gasket, install the new filter and new gasket (remember to make triple check you only have one gasket on), then key the truck on, let it sit for about 30 seconds to fill the fuel bowl up, then start it. It'll probably romp for a min, but it'll clear right up. A 15qt oil change and fuel filter change took me MAYBE 30 mins the other day, and it was raining.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
It is NOTHING like a F-150 fuel filter change. The fuel filter on a 7.3 is under the Powerstroke cover under the hood. Take that cover off, then you'll see a circular lid. On the back of that lid, there is a yellow lever. Open the lever to drain the diesel out of the fuel bowl. You'll want to put a drain pain underneath the passenger side of the truck, right under the axle to catch all the diesel, about 12oz will come out. Or, find where the line goes and put a bottle under it. After you've drained it, close the valve, take the cap off, remove the filter and the old gasket, install the new filter and new gasket (remember to make triple check you only have one gasket on), then key the truck on, let it sit for about 30 seconds to fill the fuel bowl up, then start it. It'll probably romp for a min, but it'll clear right up. A 15qt oil change and fuel filter change took me MAYBE 30 mins the other day, and it was raining.
Thanx, i was told they had one the motor compartment but i didt know where,BTW what is the enclosed box underneath the truck where a 150 Fuel filter would be(right around the drivers side door area) I thought that was a fuel filter considering all the protection around it.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:56 PM
No idea man...

Old 05-15-2009, 10:54 PM
That is the frame mounted fuel pump

FordMasterTech

Old 05-15-2009, 10:56 PM
so basically that a like a booster pump or is that the pump. just wondering

Old 05-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Think of it like a siphon pump... That's the best way I can describe it...

FordMasterTech

Quick Reply: Changing fuel filter.