F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Truck going in for service

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck going in for service

Recently, on my way home from a camping trip, the dreaded check engine light came on. I had been towing my camper for about 2 hrs when we stopped for lunch. After getting back on the hwy, I noticed the engine light. I pulled over at the next stop, ran self diag and did a visual and found nothing. I towed the remaining 3 hrs with a light foot, but noticed that I did lose some power.

Took the truck to Autozone, and they pulled a P0299 (turbo underboost). I'm taking the truck to the dealer today. Anyone else seen this code and / or the fix?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:34 PM
sometimes the light turns on for no reason, my truck had 80k when it came on now it has 330k and no problem yet so idk, oh and its a 99 f150

Old 12-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Never seen or heard of that code before, but I don't know much about the 6.ohs either. Looks like the fix could be anything from a sensor to a turbo. Return the truck to stock (if it isn't) and take er in to the dealer.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Never seen or heard of that code before, but I don't know much about the 6.ohs either. Looks like the fix could be anything from a sensor to a turbo. Return the truck to stock (if it isn't) and take er in to the dealer.
Truck is all stock as far as engine is concerned. I can't afford to throw away my warranty with a tuner. Maybe after the 100k warranty is up, I can get some "go fast" mods.

Dropped off the truck yesterday. I'll post results when it's fixed.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Got my truck back from dealer.

From service ticket -- "Pulled code P0299. Caused by 42 ---VGT Turbo Sticking---TSB 8-16-13. Installed VPS and performed VVT Tests per TSB, Turbo failed tests, removed turbo and disassembled for inspection, ring and bearings OK, No coking present, Rust and Scale present on housing, replaced CHRA per TSB, reassembled, retest, sys passed."

Does anyone know what TSB 8-16-13 is?
What would cause rust and scale on housing? Not being driven enough?

Last edited by BIG_BLUE_FX4; 12-10-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by BIG_BLUE_FX4
Recently, on my way home from a camping trip, the dreaded check engine light came on. I had been towing my camper for about 2 hrs when we stopped for lunch. After getting back on the hwy, I noticed the engine light. I pulled over at the next stop, ran self diag and did a visual and found nothing. I towed the remaining 3 hrs with a light foot, but noticed that I did lose some power.

Took the truck to Autozone, and they pulled a P0299 (turbo underboost). I'm taking the truck to the dealer today. Anyone else seen this code and / or the fix?
Man I cannot find that TSB to save my life. Have you visited thedieselstop yet?

TONS of 6.0 info over there.

Please post more info as you get it.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Man I cannot find that TSB to save my life. Have you visited thedieselstop yet?

TONS of 6.0 info over there.

Please post more info as you get it.
I saw the TSB # mentioned in a thread there, but didn't have any other info other than replacing the CHRA.

I'm really curious to find out what causes the rust and scale to form. When fuel prices were crazy high, I bought a '93 Nissan pickup to drive to work, and I'm wondering if I should drive the 250 more often to keep moisture out.

Quick Reply: Truck going in for service