Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milkthegoat
Sounds awesome!

Old 11-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by rsbeachbum2
That one sounds awesome too. What kind of horn you got?

Old 11-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
That one sounds awesome too. What kind of horn you got?
I got triple omega trumpets, with a 1 gallon tank running 150psi.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Any updates on the horn install?

Old 11-26-2008, 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by rsbeachbum2
Any updates on the horn install?
Well, I have everything except my hoses, solenoid, and air fittings. I should have all that this weekend.

I ran into a snag with the air tank. I ordered a 12 gallon tank from www.4wheelparts.com and when I went to pick it up, it was a 20 gallon tank. Instead of being 7" in diameter, ir is 12" in diameter. I have not decided if I am going to use it or buy a smaller tank. The compressors I have are only rated for 5 gallons each, so the tank is technically too big for the pair of compressors. I guess that's what I get for ordering from 4WheelParts.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Well, I have everything except my hoses, solenoid, and air fittings. I should have all that this weekend.

I ran into a snag with the air tank. I ordered a 12 gallon tank from www.4wheelparts.com and when I went to pick it up, it was a 20 gallon tank. Instead of being 7" in diameter, ir is 12" in diameter. I have not decided if I am going to use it or buy a smaller tank. The compressors I have are only rated for 5 gallons each, so the tank is technically too big for the pair of compressors. I guess that's what I get for ordering from 4WheelParts.
Thats a big tank, its bigger than the air compressor I got at my house. Hope you get it all straightened out. If it helps you any the one time I ordered from them they screwed up my order too.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Ok, so I got my horn installed this weekend...and GOD, it is loud! I am very happy with the way it turned out. Everything is mounted inside the truck box, including the horn, tank, and compressors. I used upfitter switch number 4 to turn on the compressors and upfitter switch number 1 is the trigger for my solenoid. I love the way it came out. I wired the 8 gauge power wire to the distribution block for my amplifier, which has 00 guage wire run to it behind the rear seat. Only three wires run under the truck and into the truck box. Three quick disconnects, and the entire box/horn is removed from the bed of the truck. Here are a couple pictures:

Old 01-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Looks good but im sure it would be a hell of alot louder with the kl5's under the bed!

If you get a chance, make a youtube vid with the box closed so we can hear how loud it is verses how loud it could be

Old 01-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Screw-Me-05
Looks good but im sure it would be a hell of alot louder with the kl5's under the bed!

If you get a chance, make a youtube vid with the box closed so we can hear how loud it is verses how loud it could be
The horns hang out of the bottom of the box...believe me, it's loud. Cutting a large hole in the bottom of my $1000 Weatherguard truck box was my only regret. Oh well, it's been on the truck for a year and has never had anything in it.

Last edited by freekyFX4; 01-11-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 PM

Nice, I bet they are stupid loud. Most people buy those fake die cast horns that are chrome plated and just sound like a train horn but arent very loud.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:43 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what's your total investment? How much time to install?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by johnnyd2723
If you don't mind me asking, what's your total investment? How much time to install?
Total cost is right around $1200. Time to install is pretty high, since I had to cut the hole in the bottom of the box, then I had to build a frame out of angle-iron to support the horn over the hole. I don't weld, so I bolted the entire frame together, painted it, and then enclosed the frame with some sheet metal. Also, mounting all of the components in such a closed area made it more difficult. If I had to guess, I would say that the entire install took me about 20 hours of actual working time. Remember, I am no metal worker. All of the metal frame was cut by hand with a hacksaw and all holes drilled with a cordless drill. With proper tools, such as a band saw and a drill press, I think it would have been much less. I learned a lot about horns in the process of installing it, so if you have any questions, I will help out any way I can. My main goal when modding any vehicle is to make it look as stock as possible. I hate when something turns out looking like it was done by a teenager.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Ok, so I got my horn installed this weekend...and GOD, it is loud! I am very happy with the way it turned out. Everything is mounted inside the truck box, including the horn, tank, and compressors. I used upfitter switch number 4 to turn on the compressors and upfitter switch number 1 is the trigger for my solenoid. I love the way it came out. I wired the 8 gauge power wire to the distribution block for my amplifier, which has 00 guage wire run to it behind the rear seat. Only three wires run under the truck and into the truck box. Three quick disconnects, and the entire box/horn is removed from the bed of the truck. Here are a couple pictures:

...from another couple posts it's obvious you and I have beef with each other, but I will say you got a good secure tool box to keep the horns safe!

Keep 'em loud!

Old 01-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
...from another couple posts it's obvious you and I have beef with each other, but I will say you got a good secure tool box to keep the horns safe!

Keep 'em loud!
Actually, I have no beef with you at all. Never have. You just take everything I say as a personal attack. I'm sorry your confidence and self-esteem are so low. I will start doing with you what I have to do with my kids. I can't compliment one of them without the other taking it as criticism, so now I only compliment one when the other is not around. In your case, I just can't say anything that differs with your opinion because you take it as an insult to you. Hope you get over that soon...you can't always be right.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Total cost is right around $1200. Time to install is pretty high, since I had to cut the hole in the bottom of the box, then I had to build a frame out of angle-iron to support the horn over the hole. I don't weld, so I bolted the entire frame together, painted it, and then enclosed the frame with some sheet metal. Also, mounting all of the components in such a closed area made it more difficult. If I had to guess, I would say that the entire install took me about 20 hours of actual working time. Remember, I am no metal worker. All of the metal frame was cut by hand with a hacksaw and all holes drilled with a cordless drill. With proper tools, such as a band saw and a drill press, I think it would have been much less. I learned a lot about horns in the process of installing it, so if you have any questions, I will help out any way I can. My main goal when modding any vehicle is to make it look as stock as possible. I hate when something turns out looking like it was done by a teenager.
Thanks for the info. I am wanting to do this mod but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Definitely sounds like I would want to do this in the summer too. Don't think I would want to fight with the cold.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Ordered my train horn...