F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

tune for drw f-350

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tune for drw f-350

i just got an 03 350 7.3 auto from my grandpa and i need a chip/programmer. i have a chip out of my buddy's truck he's gettin ready to sell and i'd really like to get a new one programed for my truck. i thought the xcal would be nice cause i could use it in my 150 too. i just want as much power as i can get SAFELY. I will be towing regularly,i work at a trailer manufacturer so i'll be delivering trailers,and my dad has a backhoe that i'll be moving from time to time. i drive 40 miles round trip just to work every day so mileage is definitely a factor also. i know there's no magical program where i can get 20mpg pullin a heavy load, i just want power when i want it and fuel mileage when i don't. its gettin 14,15 with this one turned up all the way,but the mil comes on when towing so it kinda worries me. with the auto i just don't wanna fry the tranny.

Last edited by way fast witey; 02-26-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:27 PM
A chip + towing heavy + no gauges = meltdown.

Bottom line do not run a chip of any size or type without a full set of gauges. Adding any fuel, then applying a load will make the EGTs shoot through the roof. Get an EGT (preturbo), boost, and trans temp. The factory in dash trans temp gauge from 02-03 wasn't anything more than an idiot light that told you that your tranny was getting hot long after it had already melted down.

If you need a chip then I would suggest getting an F5 chip from DP-Tuner. Jody is one of the top guys for the 7.3L, and has invested alot of time and money into developing programs that are safe for PMR motors like what you've got. The SCT you can't change programs on the fly, and trust me, its something you'll use quite a bit. I would suggest a stock position, 40hp tow, 80hp economy, and from there you can go up to about 120hp or anything in between. Jody also has a high idle setting you can use for warm up.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Listen to the above post ^ very carefully...

Welcome to the world of the 7.3L. Movin' to it from a gasser is like goin' from using a door **** to a sledgehammer to open a door.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by way fast witey
i thought the xcal would be nice cause i could use it in my 150 too.
??? I wuz under the impression (and it's possible I'm wrong) that the same chip for a diesel won't work on gasser without reprogramming .... I don't have a chip, and no plans at the moment to get one, but it just seems to me that since we are talking 2 totally different animals here, it stands to reason in my mind, that what works for one won't work for the other ...

Larry

Last edited by larryp; 02-27-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:35 PM
it won't,but i can store tunes on my computer and change em out. but i think i'd much rather spend the extra $ and go with seperate tuners. i have thought about not bein able to change programs on the fly so i might get an xcal for the 150 and somethin else for the diesel. i am plannin on gettin some gauges (boost,egt and tranny temp) how much will one of the f5's run me?

Old 02-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Its all listed on Jody's webpage under 7.3L tuning. It all depends what you want for chip options like the standard chip or the digital display. It also depends on how many programs you want and what programs you want. Its $245 roughly for a standard chip with a stock setting and 1 performance. Additional programs are $45 now, mine were $50 each. If you're not sure what you want call him and talk to him. He will actually call you and ask you questions anyways before he burns the program. Jody is really good about taking time to answer any questions, even if you're not intending to buy. I went with him as much for the customer service he has as I did his programs.

For gauges you're looking at about $300 give or take depending on which gauges you pick out. Dieselmanor.com is the best place to get them from, as David has customer service on Jody's level. My 3 Isspros (closest factory match), 3 gauge pod, thermalcouple adapter, and shipping was $345. You can also buy preassembled and painted gauge sets as well.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:10 PM
ok,i appreciate the help

Quick Reply: tune for drw f-350