F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Thinking about buying SD, need feedback!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about buying SD, need feedback!

I have test driven the 2500 Dodge 4x4 Cummins and the F-250 4x4 PSD. The Ford is a pig by comparison to the Cummins, but the rest of the truck is very nice. I love the room in it, and the design of gauges, everything is easy to read, and i feel very comfortable and uncramped in it. However, MANY folks have warned of the 6.0 diesel and its problems and how its a pile of junk......

So, i need some feedback from people who own the new diesel as to how it has held up, and how the rest of the truck is holding up. I plan on keeping it at least 7 years.....

I am looking at a 2005 F-250 4x4 FX4 6.0 diesel....

Old 07-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The truck will go the distance for sure. I just drove a 6.0 (auto) and 5.9 (six speed) and of course the six speed is gonna win for sure, but I thought the 6.0 was very nice too. The 6.0 is a lot different than how my 7.3 or the 5.9 wants to go. The 6.0 needs to be driven more like a highhorse gasser than a low luggin diesel. Ease into the throttle and then when got some boost at higher rpms, rip into it.

Like you said though, the truck is designed and laid out real well. The superduty will go into ford history just like the 300six and C6 auto tranny. I'm gonna hold onto mine for a long time yet.

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-26-2005, 02:23 PM
I think they had problems with o'rings or something on the first ones around the fuel injectors. I've talked to several people that having been running them pretty hard with flawless miles. They are different from a Dodge in their own way, but bottom line is either truck will probably perform any task you give them with ease.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:24 PM
I like Lee Iacocca's own words on the comercial. "In the last 3 years we have greatly improved quality.........you can find a better vehicle than Dodge...buy it."

Translation:
Sorry for anyone who might have bought Mopar in the last 20 years.
Those who buy Mopar are just poorly informed.

LOL!

This reminds me of that old Nissan Pathfinder commercial where they took out the frame and made it a unibody and were proud. Any announcement in a commercial must be good right? Then Chevy announced that any truck worth it's salt has a frame.

Sorry....digressing. Fact the 6.0 has had problems. No more than the Duramax....in fact fewer. Would I buy a new 6.0 SD over a Dodge...yes. Too bad you can't wait a year for the 6.4 in the SD.

Good luck with your purchase either way.......

Old 07-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my buddy harry's 05 6.0 has had no problems(besides the tranny recall)

but just the fact that you want a ford instead of a dodge lamb shows encouragement in the brain dept. (thats what you'd get from ford guys anyway)

choose wise
choose ford

...zap!

Old 07-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Its just a tough call. The first time i get blown away buy a Dodge, i'll wish i had it....but its not a race car, and ill be glad when i have to haul 5 people somewhere, at least they will be comfortable. Gonna try to go with a complete package rather than pick on an engine. I think the ford has the whole package. Were there any improvements from 05-06 on the truck? I was told NO by the dealer. I just didnt know if it was better to get a late model 05 or a 06....The 05 has much better rebated, incentives, and financing, and i am getting a fleet deal on either....but that doesnt exactly make it 'cheap'. The 05 will save a few thousand......thats why im asking.

Last edited by Dodge4x4; 07-27-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:26 AM
I was looking for an '05 to take advantage of the incentives but couldn't find the F250 with everything I wanted. So I have taken a step back and waiting to see if they carry the family pricing over to the '06 models.

Curious, since the engine change is slated for '07 is there going to be any body style change also?

Trending Topics

Old 07-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
That is the rumor. Just going from past history of ford trucks, 5-6 years per body style is the norm. So the superduty is due.

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-27-2005, 05:34 PM
GM announced the end of the Family plan and they won't be re-introducing it according to a press release. I'm sure all the other manufacturer's will follow suit.

GM announced 40% increase in July sales.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
GM announced the end of the Family plan and they won't be re-introducing it according to a press release. I'm sure all the other manufacturer's will follow suit.

GM announced 40% increase in July sales.

gm may have reported 40% increase in sales...

but the profits are down down down

they are still sinking

...zap!

Old 07-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Exclamation

I was thinking of buying my new truck around thanksgiving and christmas an '06...So they won't have any good deals on them? No Family pricing, No big discounts, nothing???

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying SD, need feedback!