F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance upgrades

What is the best performance upgrade for the 6.0l? Coming from my Lightning, which was chip, pulley, filter. What is the magic setup for diesels?

Old 06-09-2005, 09:17 PM
No one upgraded thier performance? I am going to have to get use to this passion bunch! J/K...

Old 06-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
Talk to Banks and get one of their new kits - the claim 500hp and 1000ft/lbs!!

Go with exhaust first - 4". Ditch the cat (it is just a soot trap on a diesel). Get an open filter setup at the same time. Next on the list would be the intake piping and bigger intercooler. Then go with something like the Banks computer.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Skip the Banks crap. You pay a ton of cash and don't get crap out of it for power that you could from another system. Keep in mind that Banks may advertise 500hp, but thats at the crank, not the rear wheel. Even at that I doubt that you'd even seen 500hp at the rear wheel. You would be ahead to go with an Edge Juice module instead, or instead go for a custom programmed chip. Thats the best route because you're maximizing everything you have. The first mods though should be 4" exhaust from the turbo back, open air intake, and a full set of gauges (pyro, boost, and trans). I've run my 7.3L with the Edge Attitude, Evolution, open intake, and a 4" exhaust against another 7.3L with almost everything Banks makes and it wasn't even close.

Old 06-11-2005, 09:39 AM
I also just traded a 2004 Lightning for a 2005 F250 PSD HD last week.

I've found that http://www.ford-trucks.com has the most information and users pertaining to the PSD.

Also, I purchased some parts from Mark @ http://www.dieselperformanceparts.com. Great pricing, information, and customer service.

Also, powerstroke73's view on Banks products is very consistent with what I've come across.

Old 06-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Actually by far the best online resource I've come across for anything having to do with the PSD engine is www.thedieselstop.com. I don't usually post alot over there, but I'm on there at least once a day reading. There are alot of good resources, especially if you do some digging in the archives.

Old 06-11-2005, 11:21 PM
There must be something wrong with the Lightnings. I just traded my '04 in for a '05 F-250 SC PSD 4x4. I bought the Bullydog programmer w/ monitor. It drives 10x better than the Lightning did.

Does anyone know which exhaust and air intake is the best? I would appreciate any input.

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by Haul'nBalls
There must be something wrong with the Lightnings. I just traded my '04 in for a '05 F-250 SC PSD 4x4. I bought the Bullydog programmer w/ monitor. It drives 10x better than the Lightning did.

Does anyone know which exhaust and air intake is the best? I would appreciate any input.
Yes, there is something wrong with the Lightning's! No back seat!

I've chosed the MBRP exhaust and AFE Proguard intake based on some recommendations. They have not arrived, so I can't provide any feedback as of yet. One of the reasons I went with MBRP is the fact they retain the catalytic converter, less chance of a warranty claim issue.

Old 06-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by oh2red
What is the best performance upgrade for the 6.0l?
Swapping the engine for a 7.3

Seriously...a programer would provide the best bang for the buck while allowing you to return to stock easily. First you need to install some gauges...most important gauge is EGT.

Gauges
Exhaust
Intake
programer

Theres no magic setup, but for engine safety I would not increase the HP without the first three mods installed first. Dieselstop.com is the best site for performance related issues for the PSD.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Ggg
I agree with powerstroke73 except I believe they do not make a chip yet for the 6.0 PSD. So you must go with a programmer. Sniper has a good one as well as Edge.
AFE and Tymar make good intakes.
DPPI and MBRP make good exhausts.
Also do not be fooled by claims of programmers returning your truck to stock for warranty work. The latest and greatest version of Fords diagnostic software CAN tell if any programmer has been used.
Some other good diesel sties that are not related to the Ford corp. are;
Make sure you tell them Ggg sent you.
http://thedieselgarage.com/
http://www.oilburners.net/
http://www.superdutydiesel.com/
http://www.thedieselstop.com/
http://www.diesel-central.com/default.asp
http://www.alldieselmotorsports.com/phpBB2/

I honestly can not recommend Ford-trucks.com I was banned for a few weeks, after the ban was lifted I tried to log on & they tell me that I must re-register due to inactivity. (hypocritical) The reason I was banned was for criticizing their policy of not allowing a link to another vendor other then their sponsor store. Even after I made it clear that their sponsor store did not carry the product being talked about. I even said that my feelings were not toward any person but just about the policy of involuntarily redirecting any link to go to their store. I also mentioned due to this policy I would not patronize the site store, but rather choose to base my decision of where to buy from upon price, availability, and customer svc. Nor was I ever abusive or used foul language on that site. I found the technical info to be biased toward products or mfg. whom supported that site, even if that product was not the best choice or the mfg. did not make the exact product being discussed.
BTW No flame intended toward anybody who likes that site.

Last edited by Ggg; 06-19-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:24 PM
One last thing would depend upon your tire size as re gearing, even though your motor is full of torque, may be need to get abck to stock ratios. My brother in law is a custom fab guy and just buildes insane vehicles. He is what got me to trade in my f-150 for the f-350 as he has an 05 f-250 with a custom 16in lift with 40's on 20's. WIth his bigger tires, 5.29 gears where installed to make up for the bigger tire size. YOu can have all the HP and ftlbs you want, but if your gear ratio is not where it needs to be (3.73 is stock with the 6.0, 4.10 if you have the v-10) then you are wasting your money.
Just thought I would throw that in, bottomeline, these 6.0 haul!!! My brother inlaw with the lift and tires raced a fully banksed out 05 cummings and got him by a couple truck lengths until about 60mph then the banks got going and pulled. All my brother in laws has is a custom 3 in exhaust and the gears, the other guy has every banks part avaialble for his dodge-

Old 06-22-2005, 12:57 PM
AFE Intake + Magnaflow Turbo back - cat + 1704 tuner = one wicked ride. Put it in 4 wheel drive, bring up the boost to around 20psi and let her rip. Funny watching some ricers face when you squeel 4 tires!

Old 06-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Thumbs up

What i would do would be to go to innovative diesel and get one of there new sct xcalibrator2 and get the extreme,tow,and light tunes...they are amazing they firm up shifting and keep your tranny running perfect...but first i would go with either the MBRP cool Duals or the single set up and ditch the cat and muffler(only on single can you ditch the muffler) next go with the afe stage 2 intake with progaurd 7....with the extreme tune and the exhaust and intake you should be running in the low 13's..and if you want to get real crazy ad sum NOS or proapne to the set up and you will be pushing the low to mid 12's

Last edited by SuperLB51; 06-26-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:14 PM
Bullydog turbo down kit, intake and computer and your lookin in the 13-14s easily

Old 06-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Haul'nBalls

Seems to be a trend. I traded my 03L for my new toy, 05 PSD Blue HD. I love it and haven't even modded it yet. I have been debating between Edge, Bullydog and Banks. I think the Banks is way to high, but it seems to be the safest on the tranny. Any input about tranny problems and the programs you are using would be helpful in the thread also.

Quick Reply: Performance upgrades