F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must definitely be something in the water! I traded my 04L a few weeks back for my 05 PSD True Blue HD!

So far I have the AFE intake, MBRP exhaust, and Edge w/Attitude. Absolutely awesome results! I've not take the Edge above level 3 based on recommendations made by others regarding the trans, but Level 3 is more than sufficient for my requirements.

I hear the new Bully Dog Programmer with Monitor is the way to go now.

Old 07-17-2005, 01:30 PM
Innovative Diesel seems to be making the best tunes for the 6.o's right now.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:52 AM
I sold my 03 Lightning running high 11's for a 05 PSD CC 4x4. Miss the Lightning, but love this new truck - it is kind of nice to not have the mod-bug like I did with the Lightning. I am fighting the temptation to get a turbo back exhaust, gauges, and not quite sure on the tuner yet - Bully Dog, Edge, Predator, or SCMT.

I wonder if Greg Evans makes a FTVB for these trannies, then we would not need to worry about messing with tranny functions. It sounds like adding line pressure through the programmer is the problem like with the Lightning trannies.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Shocked
I sold my 03 Lightning running high 11's for a 05 PSD CC 4x4. Miss the Lightning, but love this new truck - it is kind of nice to not have the mod-bug like I did with the Lightning. I am fighting the temptation to get a turbo back exhaust, gauges, and not quite sure on the tuner yet - Bully Dog, Edge, Predator, or SCMT.

I wonder if Greg Evans makes a FTVB for these trannies, then we would not need to worry about messing with tranny functions. It sounds like adding line pressure through the programmer is the problem like with the Lightning trannies.
Greg does make an ftvb for the PSD. Also, if you get a tuner, you'll probably want the Superchips programmer with the custom programming from Innovative Diesel. I have a 7.3, but from what I understand Innovative Diesel is doing the best programming for the 6.0's right now.

Old 07-18-2005, 06:59 PM
wow i also traded my 04L for an 05 sc psd, going to miss those smokey burnouts but i cant wait till my psd finds some trails. Anyone know a website that sells bigger intercoolers or upgrades, im new to the disel so im not really sure what to do to get the exhaust temps down, i found the exhaust i want from magnaflow for a reasonable price and also going to go with diablosport again (had it with the L).

Thanks

Old 07-18-2005, 07:14 PM
You might try Hypermax. They make one for the 7.3, not sure about the 6.0.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tread carefully with performance mods for the 6 liter 'stroke. They're already pushed pretty radically from the factory, you may be asking for trouble further on down the road with chips and programmers and whatnot.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:51 PM
maybe this will give you ex "L" guys some motivation

Old 07-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Greatest video ever! I watch that thing about 3x's a week.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Just don't anybody plan on doing that in a Ford. Richard hasn't run a PSD in that truck in quite a few years. When that movie was shot it had a Piers built Cummins in it. That engine has since been sold and he's running a newer Piers built Cummins that is significantly wilder than that engine. The last I'd heard he was down into the low to mid 10s with it. It also sounded like he's having trouble keeping all his boots on the truck since this new one is running twins. Something about the 100psi +/- boost.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
AWSOME video none the less. I watched it like 10 times in a row and just grinned the whole time

Old 08-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Need to talk with the guys at Innovativediesel.com about performance and tuning...They are constantly dynoing their trucks and take the trucks to the track with new custom tunes..Their 05 Crewcab 4x4 automatic just ran a 13.8 in the 1/4 mile. They sell a version know as the Exteme tune which is really wicked. Their 04 SD 6.0 is running mid 13's which is very impressive with just an SCT tune and Silverline exhaust. Best part is the tranny is tuned along with the engine to handle the extra power....

Old 08-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Edge is releasing a Juice Platinum w/Attitude that is supposed to be the hot ticket.

Here are the initial release specs from Mark @ DPPI:

Trans controls-
Adjustable defuel during shift
Adjustable defuel during any trans slippage
Adjustable defuel TCC Lock up
Adjustable Shift firmness and TC lockup points

Includes a "Turbo Timer" to allow the truck to run after turning off the key to cool dow the turbo.

Displays and clears trouble codes, with description not just a code that you have to look up to see what it is.

Safety Features

Defueling for user set EGT, trans slip and boost pressures.
Cold engine protection
Selectable audible alerst for EGT, Speed, Boost, Engine and Trans temps

Gauge features

RPM
Boost
EGT
Trans gear
Trans Fluid temp
Trans slip %age
0-60 and 1.4er mile et
Backdown %age
Intake air temp
Engine oil temp
Torque converter slip %age
Engine coolant
Throttle %age
Corrected Speed (MPH)on Atttiude
Torque converter locked or not
Engine time on

Removes speed limiter

5 on the fly power levels up to 115 RWHP

Old 08-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Sorry, don't plan on those features for the PSD model. Almost all those features have been available on the Juice modules since they've been out. The only problem is the PSD doesn't get any of them due to the way its setup. The Cummins and Duramax engines have a main wiring harness where almost everything runs through, including the trans. On the PSD no such thing exists. The Juice gets its readings and controls things by plugging into 5 different sensors on the engine. It in no way has any communication with the transimission. I talked to Edge not too long ago and asked why they're not taping into the trans harness to give some controls to the Juice. He said they had no plans to, but I haven't heard of a platinum model yet so I guess its possible this may have it.

Here is all the PSD model can do right now.
-Monitor
EGT
Boost
% Backdown
RPM (not very accurate)

-Records
% Backdown
RPM

Defuel for high EGT or high boost levels
Audible warnings

That is pretty much it. All the other features would be too hard to use on a PSD as there is not a common engine harness they can plug into like Chevy and Dodge. You'd have to have a pigtail going to each sensor to make it work. IMO the Juice/Attitude is nice, but I wouldn't buy it again. Its very expensive for what you get and what it can do. If it truely did all that is mentioned it might be worth it.

Old 08-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Alpha and Beta test units are already out there on 6.0's with all these features listed.

Here is a thread will all the information:

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...1&fpart=1&vc=1

Quick Reply: Performance upgrades