F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

needed advice on F250 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post needed advice on F250 Purchase

I am seriously considering purchasing an F250. Any advice on the following options I want to order for this truck? Any advice on anything I should order?

I want a 4x4 supercab xl with the following options:

V8, 444", Turbo Diesel
6-Speed Manual w/Overdrive
Off-Road Pkg
Suspension Pkg., Heavy Service
Air Conditioning • XL
Axle, 4.30 Ratio Limited Slip - MPG?
Carpet Delete
Mirrors, Dual w/Manual Telescoping
Seats, H.D. Knitted Vinyl Bucket
Speed Control/Tilt Steering Wheel
Window, Sliding Rear
LT265/75R16E All Terrain
Green, Dark Highland Metallic

I have a small farm and do not want a lot of options because I get pretty muddy sometimes. Again, any advice is helpful.

runnert

Old 05-08-2001, 10:59 PM
The only axle ratio on the F250 with PSD is a 3.73. The F350 w/DRW has 4.10 availability..

If you plan on hauling alot of weight in the bed, you may want to opt for the F350. The F250 with PSD has a payload capacity of around 2500 lbs.. (its less than the gassers because of the extra weight of the diesel engine).

It looks like to me you've spec'd out a real handy work truck.. I especially like your choice of transmission..

------------------
Y2K F250 XLT SC 4x2 5.4L 5sp 4.10LS

Old 05-10-2001, 03:11 PM
Exclamation

R Bess,

Are you saying that the 3.73 is the only ratio available for the diesel? Kelley blue book mentions 4 ratios, but really does not spell out which one is specifically for the diesel. What kind of gas mileage can I expect?

runnert

Old 05-10-2001, 09:34 PM
In new SuperDuty trucks 1999 through 2001.
With the F250, the only ratio available with the PSD is the 3.73..
Folks on ford-diesel.com report anywhere between 14 to 19mpg with the PSD.

The F350, PSD with SRW is still limited to 3.73 rear end.
The F350, PSD with DRW has 3.73 and 4.10 availability.

Some hauling/towing capacities with
F250 SC 5sp 4x4 psd 3.73: 13,200 max towing, max hauling is around 2500 lbs.

F350 SC 5sp 4x4 psd 3.73: 13,200 max towing, max hauling is around 3800 lbs.

------------------
Y2K F250 XLT SC 4x2 5.4L 5sp 4.10LS

Old 05-11-2001, 09:28 AM
Thumbs up

Runnert: welcome
Your choices are pretty good ones, I don't much care for those vinal seats & carpet deleat. My husband work truck is like that and yes it's great for those oily, muddy shoes and diesel soaked clothes he wears, I just tend to stick to the seat every time I've rode with him (which isn't often)
I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by 444"????
The 6sp is fantastic When I first got mine ( I also ordered it) it was VERY stiff. Plus I was used to my 5sp F150. So I was a bit nervous that I would accedently put it into reverse instead of 1st and try to take off. What I wound up doing (quite a few times) was putting it into 3rd and trying to take off. I looked like someone just learning to drive a stick shift After about a week, I learned where 1st was, my left leg settled down (it got real tired from that heavy clutch) and the bruises started to heal from where I kept hitting my leg on the emergency brake release.
Your axle will be the 3.73. Do get the Limited slip. Just remember that it's called "limited" for a reason!! I've just got a 4x2 and having the LS has worked out quite will for me.
"MPG"!!! That is a touchy subject!!! Like R Bess said, mpg ranges from about 14-19 BUT most people with a manual will see in the 19-22 range, that's what my truck gets. (that's unloaded) Towing my 30' travel trailer, it goes to 10-14mpg (10 being in the mountains but still doing 70mph!!)
With mirrors, make sure you get "power" dual telescoping. The only part that power is the main mirror but it really makes a difference when you're backing up a trailer and you've got to change the angle of that mirror to see back there.
I wish my back sliding glass was power but too costly. Do look into tint on those rear windows.
Your option of getting the larger tires is a must!!! Good for you.
And I like the color!!!
Do check into the difference in price between the F250 & F350 The F350 will come with the upgraded tires that you're paying for extra on the F250. Plus it'll have upgraded rear springs to handle more payload in the bed. That's the main difference between the two trucks!!! They will both pull the same amount of weight.
for a lot more reading on the diesel go to www.ford-diesel.com
to check out prices on what to pay for that truck check out www.kbb.com
to find a place near you that can get you a good price for it, check out www.autobytell.com
And for some really great items to dream about adding to that diesel go to www.westerndiesel.com

hope some of that helps. How long before you're ordering and what kind of time frame is the dealer telling you you'll have to wait?? Make sure you ask him if he's got the allotments to be able to order and what your priorty will be. (10 is a really good number) When the dealer puts in the order, make sure you get a copy of the "DORA" This will list all the features of your truck and MSRP and invoice prices. (you need to be ordering & paying the invoice prices). You check the dora to make sure everything you want is on the truck and that something you don't isn't also on it.

sorry this is so long but I just noticed that you're from KY. Do check out the diesel board. In the events section there are topics on F-D or Ford-Diesel sponcered rally. It's in KY in Louisville on May 25-27 at the koa campground. This would be a great time for you to check out any config of diesel you can think of plus venders selling/demos for any type of aftermarket items that can be added.

------------------
2k F250 CC SWB 6 speed 4x2 Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, rear privacy glass
TT Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards, mud flaps
265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd, rechargable MagLite
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5x7 rear, 10"sub
SuperChip, Stepshields, Ventshields on windows, rubber bed mat
rugged liner bedliner on tailgate, quick disconnect jumper cables
unaFORDable (decal on tailgate) Western Diesel Turbo Brake (whoa boy)
Finally gauges!!: Pyrometer & Boost on the A-Pillar mount

[This message has been edited by Tina (edited 05-11-2001).]

Old 05-11-2001, 10:15 AM
Tina,

Thanks for the info. I will probably take your advice on the seats, but I hate carpet in my trucks. I'm a messy boy. I will take another look and compare the 350 to the 250. I am not sure I need that much of a truck. I really only need the power of the 150, but I really want a diesel engine. That is the main reason for the 250. As far as ordering, I went through autobytel for my 150 and will do so again this time. I am not sure when I am going to order. I hope very soon before the big truck rush of the fall. Anyway, I am refinancing my house and getting some cash back, so all that will depend on order date. Thanks again for your post.

Old 05-11-2001, 04:49 PM
I just ordered a F250 Crew SB Diesel Lariat. You will probably find a better deal by jawing with the sales manager rather than ordering via the Internet. I bought mine for $1000 under invoice plus I get all incentives in place at delivery time. Delivery time is minimum 6 weeks.
I simply wrote up the order using the Internet, had a list of 5 dealers in my area and walked into the sales managers office with a $1000 under invoice deal and a check written for $1000 for a down payment. The fist dealer I contacted took the deal.

Quick Reply: needed advice on F250 Purchase