F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F-250 or F-350

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2001, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question F-250 or F-350

Hello all, this is my first time here since I just saw the site itself tonight.

I currently have a Dodge Ram 4x2 that I am leasing. Once that lease is up (within 4 months) I plan on getting a Ford. I am a web developer and don't need it for work. I work from home so mileage isn't an issue. I won't ever tow anything over about a 25' sailboat and last but not least, I want something BIG. Comparing Dodge and Fords, Fords sit much higher over a comparable Dodge. I was at the Ford dealer tonight looking at the 250s/350s and was like WOW!. These things are enormous. I am 6'6" and they still intimidate me. This truck would be MY main/enjoyment vehicle, my wife on the other hand, she just fell in love with the Sport Tracs.

I noticed that the 350s had more wheel/fender clearance, which would allow larger tires. The 250s did seem to have larger tires though. I am looking for the biggest stock truck and it appears the Fords would be it. Is there any recommendation over the 250/350?

The one I liked best was a 01 350 Supercab. It had a Triton V10, Towing mirrors, 4x4, maroon, gray interior, sliding rear window, auto, bedliner etc.. and the price on this was only $33,125.00 It seems real reasonable considering what you are getting. I am sure I could get them to knock some off the price as well. What I am getting at is that there really doesn't seem to be a big difference between the 250 and 350 prices.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by BigOne (edited 04-15-2001).]

Old 04-16-2001, 12:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WELCOME to the site!!

There isn't much price difference (~$700) between a 250 & 350. The 350 will sit slightly higher (thicker springs) and has 4" lift blocks in the rear vs the 250's 2" blocks. Tires on both trucks will be the same size.

When you say "big", I assume you mean "tall". Does that mean a lift-kit and monster gumbo tires are soon to follow? If so, the stronger axles of the 350 are what I'd choose. The 250 will handle it, but I like a little extra margin of safety.

I just got rid of a '00 F250 Supercab for a '01 F350 Crewcab. If you just want overall "BIG", check out a truck like mine. Pics on my website in signature.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2001 4x4 F350 SD XLT CrewCab LWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, HD Suspension Pkg, 3.73LS, TT mirrors, 6-disc CD changer, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, GoRhino nerf bars.
NoMo's site

Old 04-16-2001, 02:33 AM
Smile

I went to Fords site and was doing some comparisons. The Fords edge out the Dodge in height, length, and width. I know this is a Ford site, but the last 3 of my vehicles have been Dodge. I love Dodge, but I am going to have to try out a F-350. Nomo, the one you just got looks exactly like the one I was looking at minus the Crewcab and the color, this one was that maroon shade. It did have a long bed as well. I do like the 350s now that I did some more reading.

As far as engines, I believe I am going to go with the V10. Diesels are great, but the different maintenance, smell of the exhaust (diesel exhaust makes me gag after too long) etc..is what keeps me from leaning that way. About the only modifications I will do to it is add a bug shield, ventshades, larger tires and a hard cover on the back.

The last real dilema for me is what size bed to get. I do not need the long bed, my current truck has the standard shorty. I believe the difference is what? 6.5 feet for the short, and 8 feet for the long? Other than the extra space for hauling, is there any real benefit to a longer bed? such as ride or performance. I know that the long beds have to be a bugger to turn, specially if it has a crew cab to boot.

BTW, when you all buy new vehicles, do you normally lease or purchase them? Even by putting $4000-$6000 down, they are still up there in monthly payment if you are financing them. Leasing is a little cheaper, but not much.

Thanks alot

[This message has been edited by BigOne (edited 04-16-2001).]

Old 04-16-2001, 09:20 AM
Thumbs up

If you're going for big you might as well make it a dually!

Good luck,

------------------
Rip
2001 F350 XLT SC Dually
V10 * 4X4
Westin Platinum Series Steps
Line-X Spray In Bedliner

Future mods:
Westin Bull Bar
Roll Bar w/lights
CB
Mural on tailgate
33" tires

Other toys:
2000 Coachmen 24' TT
2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

Old 04-16-2001, 09:46 AM
Cool

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BigOne:

As far as engines, I believe I am going to go with the V10. Diesels are great, but the different maintenance, smell of the exhaust (diesel exhaust makes me gag after too long)

SMELL!!!!! What Smell???? I never noticed any "smell"

It sounds like you'll love the V10. It's got lots of power and if you do decide to tow something "heavy", you can do it. I've got the short bed on my truck, I like the looks of it combinded w/the crew-cab. And I added an ARE tonneau cover that perfectly matches the color. To find out some more info on that V10 check out www.ford-diesel.com It's a diesel site but you'll find gasser sections there too. Plus the frames are the same for that V10 or the diesel. If you are considering the F350, check out your state laws about tagging it. Some states will require a commercial tag with quite a larger yearly fee. The F250 sits just a bit lower than the F350 and there's that difference in springs (causing more payload for the F350) both can pull the same. And about your height!! I'm 5'1" and love driving my truck. Did have to get used to that lack of turning radius (a 3point turn is now 5-6!!) Are you going manual or automatic?? I've gotta shift so mines the 6speed. I ordered mine and got it a whole lot cheaper that way. Do check out www.kbb.com they give invoice prices and MSRP prices so you can compair and bargain for a resonable price on the V10. Good luck and post back here if you've got any more questions.

------------------
2k F250 CC SWB 6 speed 4x2 Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, rear privacy glass
TT Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards, mud flaps
265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd, rechargable MagLite
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5x7 rear, 10"sub
SuperChip, Stepshields, Ventshields on windows, rubber bed mat
rugged liner bedliner on tailgate, quick disconnect jumper cables
unaFORDable (decal on tailgate) Western Diesel Turbo Brake (whoa boy)
Finally gauges!!: Pyrometer & Boost on the A-Pillar mount

Old 04-16-2001, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't mind a dually-diesel. BUT the "queen" says no to both. Had a heck of a time convincing her the 8' bed is mandatory.

BigOne-
My last truck ('00 F250) may be just like what you are looking for. It was a Supercab short-bed 4x4 w/V10. Looked great (sporty) but had some problems. Ford "helped" me out of it and into the F350. Anyway, longer wheelbase vehicles ride better. If you've gone all this time with a short bed, then you may not want/need/miss the extra space of an 8' bed.

The 250 was my first extended-cab short-bed truck ever. I didn't really like the short bed. The few times I haul stuff, it always seems to be a heaping load. The extra length is handy. I also didn't really like the Supercab. Just enough room to haul some groceries, but not enough for people. Especially after you load up all the tools, jacks and "stuff". Kids might be OK in the back, but adults will suffer.

And finally, remember that when you ask for opinions, that's what you get. Our tastes may not be similar to yours. You pay the bills- get what YOU want.

The 350 Crewcab long-bed is perfect for me as a "family" truck. Otherwise, I'd have a regular cab.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2001 4x4 F350 SD XLT CrewCab LWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, HD Suspension Pkg, 3.73LS, TT mirrors, 6-disc CD changer, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, GoRhino nerf bars.
NoMo's site

[This message has been edited by nomo (edited 04-16-2001).]

Old 04-16-2001, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all the input. Well, I have decided on a model. Here it is:
2001 F-350 XLT 4X4 SD SuperCab 158 WB SRW HD $30,410.00

Packages
Heavy Service Suspension Package $125.00
4X4 Off-Road Package $125.00
Power
Payload Package #1
6.8L EFI V10 Engine $600.00
Electronic 4-Speed Automatic Transmission $1,095.00
3.73 Axle Ratio (SRW)
Exterior
True Blue Clearcoat Metallic
16" Deluxe Aluminum Wheels (SRW) $185.00
LT265/75Rx16E BSW All-Season (SRW)
Interior
Cloth 40/20/40 Split Bench Seat (SuperCab)
Medium Graphite
Seating Capacity of 6
Premium Electronic AM/FM Stereo w/Cassette/Single CD Player/Clock
Rear Fold-Up Bench Seat
Options
Chrome Rear Step Bumper
Telescopic Power Trailer Tow Mirrors $100.00
Privacy Glass $100.00
Sliding Rear Window $125.00
Roof Clearance Lights $55.00
Speed Control/Tilt Steering Wheel
4X4 Electric Shift-on-the-Fly $160.00
Air Conditioning
Remote Keyless Entry System $170.00
Destination Charge
Destination and Delivery $715.00

MSRP $33,965.00

Sorry about the formatting, didn't want to straighten it out.

Since this is what I want, the next thing is price. At a MSRP of $33,965, I am trying to figure out what invoice would be on this beforehand. I am at KBB trying to find out now. I am not against a prior years model as long as its new. Infact, I would assume you could get alot better price on a closeout truck. Now the odds of finding this exact truck already on a lot is probably low, specially if I am looking for a last year model. Bottom line is that I want the absolute best deal I can get seeing as this is a costly vehicle. At this price, any money they take off will help quite alot.

If anyone could approximate the invoice on this, I would appreciate it alot.

Thanks

Old 04-16-2001, 08:59 PM
go for the f650 its fricken awesome dude

Old 04-16-2001, 09:00 PM
I forgot to add something.

Regarding the 4 wheel drive, has anyone experienced a problem with the "shift on the fly" option as opposed to the regular?

I really don't need shift on the fly, but it wasn't alot more and it lessens the "*****" you gotta put up with, assuming they are located on the floor of the truck without that option.

Regarding the purchase of a truck, I am not the best hagler in town, infact, I have probably been ripped off before out of ignorance to this subject. Anyone have any real good pointers to insure I get the best price and financing on a new vehicle?

Thanks

Update: while at KBB, I found the difference between MSRP and Invoice costs.

MSRP: 31125.00
Invoice: 27607.00
Dif.: 3518.00

Figuring that for every thousand off, it knocks $20 off the monthly payment. From what I will be putting down, along with some hagling, I should be able to get into this truck for $446.34 or there abouts.

Old 04-16-2001, 10:34 PM
If invoice is 27607, then you should be able to easily order the truck an agree to $500 over invoice. (say $28100 which includes the DEST charge).
There will be an FDAF fee of around $200 plus tax/title/tags.

Remember, when you order the truck, not only does the dealership make the $500 over invoice, but they also make an additional 3% of MSRP on holdback charges..
That is very fair price to you and the dealership. They could sell every vehicle on the lot for $500 over invoice and still remain very profitable.. If that dealer won't give you that deal, then remain polite and calm and say that you know that other dealership will give you that price, thank them for spending time with you and there are no hard feelings.. Then proceed to walk out.. Either:
a. they will give you that price. or
b. another dealership surely will..

Be nice, smile alot, joke around with them, but, when the saleman feeds you the line about how he's not making any money on this deal, agree with him. He probably isn't.. But the dealership is.. That is a problem between him/her and the dealership.. The company I work for brought in 88 billion dollars in 2000, and they don't pay me squat. (or so I claim).

Also, if possible, do not tell the dealership that your trading in your current vehicle.. After you settle on the price of the new truck, you can haggle on the price of the tradin (if your trading in).

Old 04-17-2001, 09:44 AM
BD
Talking

BigOne;
A good website for car buying/leasing info is
www.edmunds.com. They have great tips and pricing info. The best tips I can provide are:
1. Know exactly what you want
2. Know exactly what you want to pay
3. Be ready to walk away
We had the most success via email and telephone - once they have you there in person - they can manipulate you more. Remeber you can wheel and deal more with a truck on the lot v. a special order.
We did alot of research, alot of phone calls
traded in a 1995 Explorer w/95k miles (for $250 over market!) and bought our F250 for $30,982 -
$ was an issue; color was not, features were an issue 2000 v 2001 wasn't. We were lucky, since there was a delay in getting the truck from another dealer - in the end we got the dealer to throw in a bedliner installed at our choice of shops (at no cost), and wholesale price on a canopy.
Got a great truck at an awesome price.

Re; shift on fly - we resisted it - but it came with the truck. Never had any problems with it on the Explorer.

Good Luck!

------------------
'00 F250 XLT 4x4 CrewCab V10
6.8L Auto 156
Island Blue/Silver[list][*]Off-Rd Package[*]3.73LS[*]Hvy D Susp.[*]cloth split bench[*]power seats[*]rear slider[*]privacy glass[*]clearance lights[*]Line-X bedliner

coming soon: K&N filter

[This message has been edited by BD (edited 04-17-2001).]

Old 04-18-2001, 12:02 AM
BD has some good advice..
One thing is I think you have the same leverage whether your ordering or buying off the lot..
When ordering, you demonstrate that your a little patient and that any dealer will be able to get you the truck.
Whereas buying from the lot, there might not be another dealer local that has a comparable truck on their lot.

No advantage either way..

------------------
Y2K F250 XLT SC 4x2 5.4L 5sp 4.10LS

Old 04-18-2001, 12:35 AM
Sounds sweet BigOne! I love that Blue.

I'd like to make one recommendation, though. Go for the "camper pkg" instead of the "HD suspension pkg". They are the same thing except the camper pkg comes with a rear anti-sway bar. The sway-bar isn't real big, but it's worth the $35 IMO.

Old 04-18-2001, 02:07 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I found a dealer in my area that has one exactly like I want except its that Toreador (spelling) red. I like that color too. The price they have it listed for is about $2800 below MSRP so I should be able to get them down some more hopefully. I am off to see it tomorrow so maybe this time tomorrow, I will have it.

Old 04-18-2001, 09:10 AM
BD
Talking

BigOne;
Sounds as if you are gonna do real well - let us know what you get! We didn't get the camper package for a number of reasons - best of luck!

------------------
'00F250XLT 4x4CrewCab V106.8L Auto 156
Island Blue/Silver
[*]Off-Rd Package[*]3.73LS [*]Hvy Serv.Susp.[*]Shift-on-the-fly[*]LT265/75Rx16E AT Tires[*]Class IV hitch[*]DrawTight Activator II Trailer Brake[*]cloth split bench [*]power seats[*]rear slider [*]privacy glass [*]clearance lights[*]Line-X bedliner[*]Leer Canopy

coming soon: K&N filter

Quick Reply: F-250 or F-350