F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

New Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 08:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post New Y-pipe

Truck has been in & out of the shop the past week for the "techs" to diagnose a vibration that starts about 70mph & ends around 80mph. Also heard a noise that sounded like a bearing that had failed. Initially, none of the "techs" could hear the noise, so I had to go down and isolate it for them.

Anyway, after taking it back this AM, I got a call saying they think both the vibration & noise are caused by the Y-pipe. So, they're ordering a new one for me. When it comes in, I'll post the results & info as to whether it is the "new" new-design, the "old" new-design, or the original design.

Wish me luck.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires, Smittybilt nerf bars & Line-X bedliner.

NoMo's site

Old 03-15-2001, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 03-15-2001, 06:40 PM
Question

Thanks Mike.

I "saw" the new pipe today. It is NOT necked-down. So, it's either the "old" design or the "newest" design. It looks just like the one that came on the truck.

Truck is in for multiple repairs, so I won't have the exact part number until tomorrow- I hope!

Old 03-16-2001, 06:49 PM
Angry

It's the OLD design. Still "flutters" and still vibrates.

[RANT]
This shop sux! They've had the truck 8.5 days & are just now calling Ford to ask what they should do to cure a vibration that starts about 70mph and goes away at around 80mph. Ford says re-index the driveshaft. Would be OK, except that was done already (prior shop visit). Tech is too stupid to read work-history of truck, so he says OK- will do it next week. Hell, I've already had to diagnose most of the problems because they can never duplicate/hear/feel them. God, I wish we had another dealership that I could use. [/RANT]

OK, I feel better.... kind of.

Old 03-17-2001, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. The bearing sound you hear, what does it sound like? I have the vibration also at about the same speeds as you just use the truck too much to have it in the shop. Almost killed me when I had to take it in for the trans replacement. and I also have a noise from the rearend sounds like a pinion bearing going, just wondering if that is the same noise you have.
Ken

Old 03-17-2001, 08:04 AM
Hi Fordhipo & welcome to the site!

I can understand your concerns about down-time. Sad part is that this is the second "time" it's been in for the same set of problems. First time only took 3 days and they [temporarily] fixed everything. Now it's like I have "visitation" rights. They keep it during the week; I get it on weekends. Sorry, I'm ranting again...

The bearing noise is coming from the area at the back of the engine or front of tranny. They replaced the Y-pipe, but the noise is still there. It might be the torque converter, but they aren't doing anything more because they say it's fixed. We'll see Tuesday when I take it back again.

Old 03-17-2001, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the answer Nomo,
No problem about the ranting I understand completely. I think they hurried my job up just so I would stop calling and asking if done. They started to understand to start giving me straight answers after a while, not their maybe this afternoon or maybe by tomorrow morning because every time they gave me I was calling and saying you said it would be done now, is it?
Good luck on Tuesday and hope they get it fixed right for ya.
Ken

Old 03-18-2001, 05:46 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey nomo,

Hmm, sorry to hear this didn't fix your problem. Guess my first "Good luck!" wasn't very effective, eh? Sorry 'bout that!

Better luck next time?!?

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 03-18-2001, 11:07 PM
Thanks Mike.

I drove an '01 just like my '00 (except color & 3.73 gears) and there's a world of difference. The '01 has almost no engine nor wind noise. The doors don't rattle and it didn't vibrate at 70mph. There's going to be some major H3LL to pay at the service shop come Tuesday when I have to relenquish the "weekend custody" of my truck.

Things may go better. My salesman has been with the "company" longer than the company has existed (long merger story). Anyway, he actually has some clout- I spoke to him Saturday after the '01 test drive and he said he'd make things right for me. I believe he'll try.

Regardless, if the truck holds out 'til June, I'll probably trade it for an '02.

Old 03-20-2001, 02:17 PM
mjs
I am also having a vibration problem which has been diagnosed as an exhaust resonance vibration. I have been told, since last November, that a new Y pipe is 2 weeks to 30 days out. I have been told that it is a new necked down version that also has flex pipe built into it to eliminate vibration. As you can imaginge, I am really questioning whether or not this "new" Y pipe will ever materialize. I did get mad and started looking for the problem myself. I took a hose clamp and stuck it on the rear of my driveshaft. I then would rotate the position of the clamp. I could somewhat change the vibration. So, I pulled the driveshaft off and took it to get balanced at a shop. Turns out that the rear shaft was out .060. That is alot! I had them retube my driveshaft and rebalance it. I would say that 70 percent of my vibration is gone, but it is not perfect. Now, the flutter problem materialized! That is really annoying. Hits right around 2100 RPM.
I do really like my truck, but I have put up with the vibration and now the flutter for 10,000 miles and there is no fix in sight.

MJS
2001 F250 SD CC, V10, 2.5" BDS lift, 35x12.50 BFG ATs

Quick Reply: New Y-pipe