F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Mpg

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mpg

The SDuty I just got has the mpg average indicator, are these accurate?? Also will the mpg's go up after initial break in time or do diesels not do that like a gasser?

Lastly, what kind of mileage are you guys getting out of your psd's? Driving around town the computer was showing almost 13 but on the highway was hitting about 18.

FM

Oh, by the way, this thing out accels my screw, had a mustang come up behind me at a light just b4 the hiway on ramp and pull beside me, had a feeling he was going to try and get in front of me b4 the ramp, sure enough! Surprised him! Actually pulled away from him! Once on the freeway I let off about 70 mph and here he came at around 90, LOL! I think he got a little pissed! Looking forward to a superchips tuner, should I get anything else with it and can I damage anything that I need to watch??
Thanks

Old 08-09-2004, 11:31 PM
familyman, it sounds like your mpg is right about average. I have been following this board for a while now since I have an interest in the PSD myself. I think you might "break it in" a little more and get 14 to 16 in town, maybe 19 to 20 hwy if you are not towing a load. A chip may help. My brother-in-law gets 28 to 30 mpg on his 2001 7.3L Excursion with a performance chip. Some say those overhead guages are off by 1 to 3 mpg, but he swears his is dead on.

Good luck!

Old 08-10-2004, 04:21 PM
My 6.0 PSD is only 10 days old and according to the overhead readout I am getting 18.2 mpg.
I dont know how accurate this is, but that's what it says.
Also,this is all in town use,no highway.

Old 08-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Marc Stewart, you said "A chip may help. My brother-in-law gets 28 to 30 mpg on his 2001 7.3L Excursion with a performance chip." Are you positive on that? That seems a little ridiculous especially in a 7.3 powerstroke excursion. I would say that because my neighbor owns the same vehicle with a chip in it, and he told me he stills only gets about 19-22 mpg. So I'd check again if I were you, before you go telling people what to expect.

Old 08-10-2004, 06:46 PM
30mpg?! I smell smoke.

The MPG readout is an average based on fuel output of the injectors.
People that are buying 6.0 diesels purely for fuel mileage are in for a rude awakening.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:14 AM
Why would anyone buy anything purely for 1 reason?? And fuel mileage at that! LOL Wouldn't be buying myself a truck!

However so far it shows I am getting much better fuel mileage than my SCrew and I was wondering if it was accurate, of course I'll find out for sure as I go but with only 320 miles on the truck it's hard to tell!

FM

Old 08-11-2004, 11:48 PM
That's about normal MPG for a 6.0. It won't get really broken in until 10k or more miles unlike a gasser. At 25-30k miles it should be set and fully broken in. It'll even sound different.

Over 20 MPG is posibble without AC etc.l etc. SOme say they are getting better, but in most cases there are errors they aren't considering, or are running propane.

I'm geting 13-14 MPG towing 7500# on the HWY. With no trailer and now AC I did see over 20 MPG for the short while I did that. 18-19 MPG is possible driving normal.

Oh, and you think that stock 6.0 is fast? HA! You ain't seen nothing yet!! You are correct in that it outruns the SuperCrew. Mine would run circles around my modded Expy. which I was worried about. With the Superchips 1704, holy smoke batman!!! You'll run mid 14's in the qtr mile.

I smoked, I mean smoked, a Lincoln LS. I don't "race" per se, but this was a chance to play a little.

Old 08-11-2004, 11:52 PM
Stroker 73, yes, I'm positive about my brother-in-law's mpg. He give me grief about it all the time. He can go over 400 miles before he fills up. He saw the overhead display (OHD) go from 15-16 city and 17-19 hwy to 27-29 mpg after he installed his chip for highway driving. If hedrives it easy in town, he'll get about 20-22. I posted this finding on this board about 8 months ago and got a few replies telling me that the OHD we never accurate. I sent him an e-mail and challenged him to check it's accuracy. He filled up, reset the trip, drove the tank out, and checked his mpg. He said the OHD was dead on. And he has checked it several times to be sure.

Don't believe it? e-mail me and I'll give you his cell phone number and you can call him yourself! I have no reason to lie on this board.

Yes, it seems a lot radiculous to me too since I'm getting 13 city and 15 hwy. But, every time I get in his truck, that OHD reads 20+.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Marc STewart
Stroker 73, yes, I'm positive about my brother-in-law's mpg. He give me grief about it all the time. He can go over 400 miles before he fills up. He saw the overhead display (OHD) go from 15-16 city and 17-19 hwy to 27-29 mpg after he installed his chip for highway driving. If hedrives it easy in town, he'll get about 20-22. I posted this finding on this board about 8 months ago and got a few replies telling me that the OHD we never accurate. I sent him an e-mail and challenged him to check it's accuracy. He filled up, reset the trip, drove the tank out, and checked his mpg. He said the OHD was dead on. And he has checked it several times to be sure.

Don't believe it? e-mail me and I'll give you his cell phone number and you can call him yourself! I have no reason to lie on this board.

Yes, it seems a lot radiculous to me too since I'm getting 13 city and 15 hwy. But, every time I get in his truck, that OHD reads 20+.
I'm not starting a challange, but I can go 500+ miles on a tank and I ain't getting anywhere near 30 MPG!!! Ever see an Excursion fill up? I can go well over 400 miles running around town which is when I'm getting 12-13 MPG.

400 miles on even just under a full tank, is only 10-11 MPG.

Granted, the 7.3's seem to be able to get better MPG, but 1-2 MPG better, not 10+!!!

Oh FYI, depending on what "chip" or fueling box he has, they are notorious for whacking the overhead waaayyy out there on the 7.3's and boxes on 6.0's.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by FamilyRide
That's about normal MPG for a 6.0. It won't get really broken in until 10k or more miles unlike a gasser. At 25-30k miles it should be set and fully broken in. It'll even sound different.

Over 20 MPG is posibble without AC etc.l etc. SOme say they are getting better, but in most cases there are errors they aren't considering, or are running propane.

I'm geting 13-14 MPG towing 7500# on the HWY. With no trailer and now AC I did see over 20 MPG for the short while I did that. 18-19 MPG is possible driving normal.

Oh, and you think that stock 6.0 is fast? HA! You ain't seen nothing yet!! You are correct in that it outruns the SuperCrew. Mine would run circles around my modded Expy. which I was worried about. With the Superchips 1704, holy smoke batman!!! You'll run mid 14's in the qtr mile.

I smoked, I mean smoked, a Lincoln LS. I don't "race" per se, but this was a chance to play a little.
When should I switch oil to full synthetic? Also will I hurt anything if I get the Superchip tuner 1st without exhaust or intake?

Thanks, FM

Old 08-12-2004, 03:09 PM
FM

Have you noticed how d. fuel foams up when filling the tank?

Only way Ive figured accurate mpg was to fill up to inside filler neck, just before top. Then calc. mpg the old way. Yours may fill up faster? but mine takes 15 min. to get another 5 gal. in. When in a hurry etc...

I fill with pump handle set on slowest (1st) notch, then when it shuts off, I wait couple seconds and do this one more time. This method varies mpg. abit on mine, even w/conditions exactly same between fill ups. Hence..fill up to neck for accuracy. JMO!

Check out www.thedieselstop.com Look at the aftermarket forum for mods to 7.3/ 6L?? All you want to know is there. Pay close attention as you know, it aint a gasser.

Good luck....OT

Last edited by Old Timer; 08-12-2004 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:17 PM
maybe he has the overhead computer set for kpg and not mpg?
I dunno, but 30 mpg out of a Superduty is highly unlikely.

Old 08-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks OT, I'll check that out.

FM

Old 08-13-2004, 07:43 AM
Family Ride, I don't know if he goes 400 miles or 900 miles per tank, I just don't remember, but I will call him up today and find out. All I know is that we have talked about it for hours and hours because he likes to give me crap about my gasser. And I'm telling you all he gets better than 25 mpg on the highway after he installed his performance chip. I don't remember what brand of chip he has or what setting he uses, but most of the time, he gets 28 mpg hwy. As I said in the last post, I even challenged him to top it off, reset the trip and drive the tank out, then fill up and check the mpg. He has done it at least 6 different times and he swears that the OH display is accurate. Maybe his truck is from outer space, maybe he just has good luck, I don't know. I'm sure his results are not normal, but this board is where we all share information and that's all I'm doing. Like I said, if any of you want his phone number, you can call him yourself. He can tell you what kind of chip, settings, etc.

Old 08-14-2004, 07:41 AM
Okay everyone, I called my brother in law yesterday and here's the deal. He goes over 1,000 miles between fillups. He has a Superchip set at the high hp setting. But, the key to his mpg is that he says he doesn't "dog it." He said most people who get a chip mash the accelerator down to the ground and burn rubber all over town to feel their new found hp. He said his father went thru a good set of tires in two months after installing his chip in his F250 PSD.

Even the guy who sold him the chip has said the his mpg is off the charts. But, he regularly gets 28 mpg hwy and 22 to 23 mpg city. Said he fills up about 1x per month.

Maybe we need to put his truck in 'Ripley's Believe It or Not' since most of you are having a hard time buying this one.

Marc

Quick Reply: Mpg