F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

mods for 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mods for 6.0

What are some mods for the 6.0. I want to make power but I don't want to loose to much fuel efficiency.

also please somebody explain why diesels put out black smoke and what causes that

thanks in advanced
-garrett

Old 07-04-2004, 02:15 AM
The basic mods for the 6.0 are the usual: intake, exhaust, programmer. The black that you see coming out of the exhaust is un-burnt fuel, due to varying circumstances (tuning, load, etc.)

Old 07-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by TriSum
The basic mods for the 6.0 are the usual: intake, exhaust, programmer. The black that you see coming out of the exhaust is un-burnt fuel, due to varying circumstances (tuning, load, etc.)
I thought the black smoke for lack of oxygen? Also so intake, exhaust, prgrammer. How about stuff like an enlarged downpipe.

and another one I heard about was a fuel circulator or something. What it did was took the air out of the fuel so when it went to the injectors it didn't have any air. anyboyd know about that product?

thanks in advanced
-garrett

Old 07-07-2004, 02:08 AM
"Lack of oxygen" as you put it, will give you a "rich" fuel condition, which means black smoke.
In most cases exhaust mods on a diesel would include the down pipe. Do they make more power? Depends on mods. Do they lower EGT? In most cases, yes.
I'm not aware of the 6 liters having problems with air getting into the fuel line. This is more of a 7.3 thing I believe.

Old 07-07-2004, 10:14 AM
"Lack of oxygen" as you put it, will give you a "rich" fuel condition, which means black smoke.
In most cases exhaust mods on a diesel would include the down pipe. Do they make more power? Depends on mods. Do they lower EGT? In most cases, yes.
I'm not aware of the 6 liters having problems with air getting into the fuel line. This is more of a 7.3 thing I believe.
ohh a bigger downpipe lowers egt that is good cuase then you can run more boost correct?

also do you know the product that takes the air our of the tank and lines?

-garrett

Old 07-08-2004, 01:05 AM
I don't think you will have the problem with air in your fuel lines, that is mainly a problem with the older 7.3 liter engines.

Old 07-11-2004, 03:03 PM
Exhaust (with DP) yes, intake, maybe not just yet. The stock box breaths about as good as any aftermarket unlesss you give up filtering. Banks doesn't even offer a new intake with the new 6.0 kit. I'm sure they will at some time, but not yet.

Plenty of modules and a couple of programmers out there doing pretty well. Drive one stock for a while and you may find you don't need anything else. You'll be surprised. However, I just instaled the stock tune on mine Friday while my programmer is being updated and all I can say now is Stock Sux!!! I didn't say that when I took the chip out of my Expedition: it's that much difference with the diesel!! Guys are running mid 14's with the SC 1704 in F250 and 350 SD's and it's not even a big power maker like some of the modules are. I ripped a Lincoln LS the other day with my 8500# beast!!! I would have never tried that with my modified Expy gasser.

Old 07-11-2004, 05:44 PM
FamilyRide, It is amazing the difference in power. We took our CC 4X4 to the 1/8 mile track the other night, 8.9@75mph w/ a 1.82 60ft. Not too bad for 7320#'s. We were beating most of the stocker Mustangs and Camaro's. It's neat to see peoples faces afterwards.

Old 07-17-2004, 12:47 AM
FamilyRide, It is amazing the difference in power. We took our CC 4X4 to the 1/8 mile track the other night, 8.9@75mph w/ a 1.82 60ft. Not too bad for 7320#'s. We were beating most of the stocker Mustangs and Camaro's. It's neat to see peoples faces afterwards.
It is cool isn't it? I got my tuner back tonight. Ahhh, I feel much better. over 100 degrees here and this 8000+ lb beast will bark the 285 Revo's in 2nd gear, and roast them through 1st into 2nd on very hot, very dry good concrete. I'd like to see what kind of 1/4 I could do. I know it'd whoop the snot out of my old Expedition; and I was worried about loosing performance going to this beast.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:51 AM
My first mod was the intake (AFE) 390CFM vs 280 CFM for stock was a noticeable and good diference. It allso makes the turbo a little louder, but I like that. I think the fuel/air devise that you are talking about might be the FASS system. Do a serch on yahoo or something like that you will find them.

Old 07-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Nosdog2
My first mod was the intake (AFE) 390CFM vs 280 CFM for stock was a noticeable and good diference. It allso makes the turbo a little louder, but I like that. I think the fuel/air devise that you are talking about might be the FASS system. Do a serch on yahoo or something like that you will find them.
i'll do that search but I did see it on "trucks!" you know the show on tnn or whatever.

but when you say intake mod did you do the manifold the butterfly or the intake?

Old 07-20-2004, 01:11 PM
and another thing. I notice you guys have f250 that are running the 8.9 in the 1/8. I have a f350 with dual rear wheels. will I notice it being much slower or no?

Old 07-21-2004, 09:06 PM
6.0 performance upgrades

The 6.0 responds very well to upgrades such as the Superchips Microtunner. I belive this is the best bang for your buck and is safe compared to Quadzilla box. But is still very important to watch EGT's. Airraid also has a intake for the 6.0 That I belive can be found at shopdiesel.com. Exhaust is also a cool upgrade because of the 6.0's sound and getting those hot turbo gasses out to lower EGT. If wanted much better fuel economy prapane is also a nice touch and is a great power adder. I personally have intalled or help install all these items on a buddies 03. 4 dr. automatic and it is a Rocket and still have not sacrificed any fuel milage. It's only gotten considerably better. Oh yea, dont invest in Quadzilla unless you want trans failure and turbo melting EGT's.

Old 07-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Re: 6.0 performance upgrades

Originally posted by madMarkman
The 6.0 responds very well to upgrades such as the Superchips Microtunner. I belive this is the best bang for your buck and is safe compared to Quadzilla box. But is still very important to watch EGT's. Airraid also has a intake for the 6.0 That I belive can be found at shopdiesel.com. Exhaust is also a cool upgrade because of the 6.0's sound and getting those hot turbo gasses out to lower EGT. If wanted much better fuel economy prapane is also a nice touch and is a great power adder. I personally have intalled or help install all these items on a buddies 03. 4 dr. automatic and it is a Rocket and still have not sacrificed any fuel milage. It's only gotten considerably better. Oh yea, dont invest in Quadzilla unless you want trans failure and turbo melting EGT's.
how would propane help on mpg? I dont know anything about propane

Old 07-22-2004, 10:46 AM
gas grill upgrade for your diesel

Propane is just another type of fuel. But is much more cleaner and efficiant than many other types of fuel. The Powershot 2000 and the kits we set up at school are boost on propane activated. After about 10lbs of boost the propane is injected in gas form into the intake. For MAF trucks, before the MAF into turbo. It is estemated that with normal driving it gives you up to 5mpg on the 6.0. But if you figure the cost of propane to fuel it averages out to about 3mpg better.

Quick Reply: mods for 6.0