Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New tire recall

Tire Recall

Old 08-19-2002, 10:21 PM
Cool, thanks for the post.

Although, I guess they aren't ready for it yet. None of the support is in place yet. I hope they'll reimburse me for replacing mine that seperated. Lucky I have on of the better tires and pictures of the bad tire.

Old 08-19-2002, 10:48 PM
FYI:
The DOT code is on the side of the tires WITHOUT the raised white letters.
The tires involved have DOT codes from 109 to 4400. They were produced between March 1999 and October 2000 and furnished as original equipment on 106,701 2000-model year and certain 2001-model year two-wheel-drive Ford Expedition and two-wheel-drive Lincoln Navigator

Old 08-20-2002, 07:54 AM
I had two tires on my Exp separate a couple of months ago. I kept the two good ones, but I don't have the two that separated. They only had 31,000 miles on them when I noticed it. I wish they would reimburse me for mine also.

Old 08-20-2002, 10:18 AM
Unfortunately chances of getting a replacement for a tire you no longer have is very slim. This would open the door for fradulent claims and the only way to control it, would be to have the recalled tire for proof of ownership. It's always worth checking into though, but don't go in expecting much. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2002, 11:49 AM
When I bought my Expy in Aug of 2000 and the news first broke about the Explorer size tires I took them off for BFGs.

I kept the receipt and when a year or so later they announced a Firestone wide recall I sent in the receipt and their claim form and got the whole $597.00 worth.

They were excellent about refunding you. The claim check was sent in a timely manner. I couldn't have asked for more.

Hopefully that will help---Bob

PS--They know by serial number which tires were on your truck when they sold it new. That's how I was identified and other Expy owners with Goodyears didn't receive the notice in the mail.

Old 08-20-2002, 02:12 PM
wouldnt you know....
the DOT codes on my tires end in 4800....oh well.

Trending Topics

Old 08-20-2002, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I had the same thing with the tires that came on my Navigator. Continental had a recall for those tires shortly after the Firestone fiasco and the Explorer, but mine fell outside the code range. Seeing as how I was going to replace the tires anyway with custom rims and some Toyo Proxy ST's, I thought Ford would be able to kick in a little help. No such luck. Oh, well.

Old 08-20-2002, 10:52 PM
Well, mine end in 0600. Guess thats a good deal. But i have a question some of you may have the answer too, especially if you went through this w/ the Explorer. Do I have a choice of what tires to have replaced on my truck or do I have to go w/ what the warranty is offering. I assume that if I bought other brand/model of tires I would be reembursed? Would I be making a incorrect assumption? What do you guys think?

Old 08-20-2002, 11:05 PM
Check with your local tire dealer. They may be able to offer you the tire of your choice and get the credit back from Continental. I know when they were doing the first Firestone/ Continental recall, you weren't required to go to a Continental dealer and purchase their tires. This would definitely be the time to upgrade to some performance wheels and tires without being hit for the total cost. Good luck Alan.

Old 08-20-2002, 11:11 PM
Smile Tire Choice

When I had my Explorer I had the option to wait until a better choice of tires came out... Firestone and the Ford dealership was nice in letting me know what type of tires they had coming in. But you do take a chance on not getting a good tire. The first round of tires are always the shall we say not so good tire, due to the rush to get the old ones off.. Good Luck. I wish they would do that with the good years I have on my Expo.

Rich

Old 08-21-2002, 03:20 PM
The way they handled the Firestone recalls (both Explorer and Expy) was by allowing a per tire dollar amount reimbursement if you went out and bought whatever tires you wanted. Or you could simply head back to a Firestone store or a Ford dealer and have them replace with whatever they had in stock at the time. On both my Explorer and Expy, I opted to buy my own tires and apply for a refund via mailing in the receipt and appropriate paperwork. I bought same size tires for my Explorer and 285’s for my Expy. In both cases, I received a refund check in an extremely punctual manner.

I would suspect that the current recall is similar to the first two, however, check with Ford’s website to be certain.

Old 08-21-2002, 03:44 PM
ok, then what do you all think of these two tires. I think i am going to go w/ one of these. What have you all replaced w/ and what do you think.

1. Bridgestone
Dueler H/P
Size:275/60-17

2. Pirelli
Scorpion Zero
Size:285/60-17

Old 08-21-2002, 03:59 PM
I would also look at the Toyo Proxes ST and the Falken ZX O1. From what I have heard, is that the Pirelli is a very soft compound and they tend to wear out fairly quick. I don't know much about the Bridgestone. Both the Toyo and the Falken have very aggressive tread patterns and are performance rated tires. I've been running the Toyo on mine and have been very happy with them. Good luck in your choice

Last edited by Navi Man; 08-28-2002 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Navi Man
I would also look at the Toyo Proxy ST and the Falken ZX O1. From what I have heard, is that the Pirelli is a very soft compound and they tend to wear out fairly quickly. I don't know much about the Bridgestone. Both the Toyo and the Falken have very aggressive tread patterns and are performance rated tires. I've been running the Toyo on mine and have been very happy with them. Good luck in your choice
OOOOHHHHHHHHH I like the Falken Ziex S/TZ-01. Found them at discounttiredirect.com

Thanks for the advice

Quick Reply: New tire recall