Expedition / Navigator

New tire recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like i will be getting some new tires.

My wife's 2001 expy was manufactured in 09/00
DOT code 3500 on General Grabbers (Crappers).

I was looking at getting them replaced. We only have 11000 miles on them and they are riding like crap. Saved me some money....

Old 08-21-2002, 05:05 PM
Alan,

You might want to check out this link for the Toyo's. They are some bad azz looking tires. The advantage the Toyo has over the Falken is that they are V rated as opposed to H rated for the Falkens. Another thing that Toyo has going for it right now is they are offering a 500 mile or 45 day trial. If you don't like them, just return to your dealer for a full refund or replacement. It tells about the program on their website. For reference, I paid $615.00 mounted and balanced for a set of 285x60x17 Toyo Proxy ST's about 3 months ago. This included lifetime balance, rotation and flat repair. Either choice will be a good one.

www.toyo.com/tires/index_frame.html

Last edited by Navi Man; 08-21-2002 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:45 PM
I'm a DOT 389. Lucky I kept one and have pic's of another. We'll see how that goes..... I wouldn't mind them paying for the Michelin's I've already put on. I'm just gld I found out mine was wated before it wasted me and/or my family.

Old 08-26-2002, 02:10 PM
I have already gotten in contact with Contential with regard to my tires. I replaced the Crappers last month (luckey I still have my spare). Anyway, I have submitted my receipt, but I found out that they are only going to refund $110.00 per tire, plus labor and tax.

Kinda nice to offer the refund, but $110 per tire? I looked and did not find anything that came close to that in price. Has anyone else?

I am still waiting to hear the final results. I will keep you all posted.

Boxter

Old 08-27-2002, 01:24 PM
Boxter, what size are you running? $110 seems like a rip-off, considering Firestone/Ford gave $130 for 16's.

I saw Goodyear RT/S 255/70/16's at Sam's Club for $60 a tire. I did about 4 retakes to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. I priced them elsewhere for $120+ each. I almost bought some for S-n-grins but don't like that size on my 4x4.

Old 08-27-2002, 04:54 PM
What tires did you go with Boxter and what size?

Old 08-28-2002, 09:17 AM
My experience when they replaced the firestones on my 99Expi...
First of all it took forever and a day to get the tires in. I had my name in at two places and it took well over two months. That was a bigger recall however. The story I got from both dealers is that the new tires would be whatever they had in inventory that was on the "approved replacement" list. I ended up with Goodyear tires and I've been happy with them. They don't seem to be wearing quite as good as the Firestone tires did. I had 30K on those when I finally got them replaced. I figured 30K of free tire wear was a good deal.

My .02 on the Toyo's, I had the M55's on my old 83 Chevy. They weren't all that expensive and they really wore well. That was back in my high school days and I used to hot rod around on gravel roads a TON. After 20K or so of that kind of abuse they still had tons of tread. Traction was great too. The original tires that were on it when I got the thing were bald after about 3000 miles. Granted they weren't in great shape to begin with. Anyway, I would recomend the Toyo's to anybody, and especially if you need a good durble tire that spends a lot of time on rocks and gravel.

Old 08-28-2002, 02:53 PM
I ended up getting the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO size 265/70-17. Keep in mind, I got these tires BEFORE the recall. I got these on my own. Cost me $165 per tire. That did not include stems, fees, etc.

I have done a search on Tire Rack, NTB, and Tires.com. There was only one tire that was under $110. Hell the Grabbers were $120 per tire!

I still have not heard anything from Continental. Hell I am going to call right now.

By the by, I love these tires! They are not quite as wide as the OEM's, but it is not noticable at all. They ride great and are not loud. Gives a new look to the truck. I will try and get some pics up soon.

Have a good one.

Boxter

Old 09-04-2002, 03:26 PM
Has anybody been lucky enough to get replacements from THIS recall. I have been calling my dealer for two weeks and they still do not have them in. Good thing we have two other autos to drive.

Old 09-04-2002, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't think their would be any harm in driving on them. You've been using them for some time now. I would just do a good inspection of the tires and be a little cautious of going long distances.

Old 09-04-2002, 05:25 PM
Well a little news on the tire recall.

Cont. tire got in contact with me and offically notified me that I am in the recall and that they will refund me only the $110 per tire for the new ones that I have put on the Exy.

They also stated that because I had one tire on the truck still (spare) that I needed to go to the dealership and that they were going to replace all 5 tires with the new Cont tires (Yes, they were going to pay for the tires that I had purchased, and give me 5 new tires!). I told Cont. that was not acceptable (as the tires that I purchased are far better than anything Cont would put on the car). They said that this was per Ford and for any excpetion would have to go to Ford.

So, I called Ford. They stated that they would take this information and forward it to the dealership. So, I truck the truck in yesterday. They did not replace the 4 tires that I put on, but did replace the spare with one of the Cont tires.

I am going to get in contact with Cont tire and see about the cash for my tires. I am in Dallas, and the dealership that I took the truck to had tires availalbe.

I will let you know when I know more.

Boxter

Old 09-04-2002, 06:53 PM
"They also stated that because I had one tire on the truck still (spare) that I needed to go to the dealership and that they were going to replace all 5 tires with the new Cont tires (Yes, they were going to pay for the tires that I had purchased, and give me 5 new tires!). I told Cont. that was not acceptable (as the tires that I purchased are far better than anything Cont would put on the car). They said that this was per Ford and for any excpetion would have to go to Ford. "

Man, how could you say that was unacceptable? If in fact they were going to give you $110.00 per tire and give you 4 more new Continentals, you would be way ahead. Ford, or Continental aren't obligated to upgrade you (thus paying for the more expensive tires you put on), they are only obligated to pay for the replcaement value. That would be like being hit by somebody and totaling an F150, and in the meantime you replace it with a Lightning. The insured's insurance company would reimburse you for the value of the F150, not the cost of a new Lightning. You also got the use of the original tires for awhile and had them pick up about 80% of the tab for, in your words, a superior tire. I'm not trying to diss on you, but it sounds like getting $110.00 for used tires is a pretty good deal.Did I misunderstand something?

Old 09-05-2002, 03:41 PM
Navi Man,

In July 2002, I spent $165 per tire for a new set of BFG. Comp TA KO tires. In September 2002, Ford and Cont. want to pay me $110 for the BFGs and replace them with the Cont. SUV whatever tires. I thought it was a pretty good deal as well, but then I started to reseach the Cont. tires.

Basically, they are CRAP! Little to no traction in wet, wear was way less than expected, ect. There were a few good comments made. My tires on the other hand had only a few complaints, but 90% of the comments made were OUTSTANDING! Most everyone stated that they were going to get the tire again when the time came (and a couple already had as they were on the 3rd set)! Yes, they are a little noisey, but this is an SUV, not a Caddy.

I did not want Cont. to replace my new, better, tires with the cheap crap they offer and only give me 110 per tire when I spent 165.

Sometime my story telling gets a little difficult to understand. Hell, I got the same iimpression you did, and I wrote it!

Boxter

Old 09-05-2002, 05:37 PM
Boxter,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just checked the Continental website and they say that they will reimburse you $110.00 per tire plus tax. Have you filled out the required form and sent it in?This doesn't seem like to bad of deal to me. You got the use of the original Continental tires for free and now will get about 70% of your upgraded tires paid for also. You shouldn't expect them to pay for an upgrade. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Old 09-11-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Navi Man
Check with your local tire dealer. They may be able to offer you the tire of your choice and get the credit back from Continental. I know when they were doing the first Firestone/ Continental recall, you weren't required to go to a Continental dealer and purchase their tires. This would definitely be the time to upgrade to some performance wheels and tires without being hit for the total cost. Good luck Alan.
Well, this post it directed toward Navi Man, but anyone w/ input would be appreciated. I have done ALOT of research on ALOT of tires and sizes and think I have made my mind up on the 285/60/17 Proxy S/T's. I checked the local dealer and they gave me a price of $772. Mounted-balanced and tax out the door. How does this price sound to you? Thanks for any input.

Quick Reply: New tire recall