Expedition / Navigator

steering wheel moves when driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering wheel moves when driving

1999 expedition with 80k steering wheel moves when driving down the road. if the tires hit a dip in the road it moves the steering wheel. steering is very sensitive and easy. all the front end parts are tight. i tore apart the variable assist module on the steering pump, but came to no conclusion on that. hell, even drove it with no fluid to see if it got better. might be a little better, but the wheel still jerks around on snowy roads. I've had a lot of high mileage beaters, but this is the worst handling vehicle I've ever driven. seems like something is missing. like it needs a steering stabilizer, or can you adjust the steering gear?

Old 01-14-2015, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after looking over every steering part, i noticed that it seemed a little front end high. i adjusted the torsion bars all the way out. it dropped an inch and looks level now. problem competely gone! cannot beleive the difference, and dont know why this worked, but it did..

Old 01-14-2015, 01:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by korte500
after looking over every steering part, i noticed that it seemed a little front end high. i adjusted the torsion bars all the way out. it dropped an inch and looks level now. problem competely gone! cannot beleive the difference, and dont know why this worked, but it did..
Hey.

Good find.

You likely changed on or more of the front-end component angles - for the better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_steer

I wonder though, if you shouldn't go get the alignment checked - just to be sure...

good luck
MGD

Old 01-14-2015, 04:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I'd check the caster. From your description, it seems to me that it should be increased.

- Jack

Quick Reply: steering wheel moves when driving