Expedition / Navigator

Looking at an 01 Expy EB 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at an 01 Expy EB 4x4

I got a line on a very low priced 2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4. Its not exactly the newer vehicle I was looking for but if the deal is right, it may be a way to be without a car payment for a couple of years.

Are there any common issues I should look for when I go look at it? Any quick way to see if the recall for the cruise control was done?

The only issue that I know about is the Odometer screen is not functioning. From my research, this appears relatively common and seems fixable in most cases with a soldiering pencil. This does mean I don't know the actual mileage on the truck which is the only real sticking point for me. Mileage is relevant but as long as the truck is in good, well-maintained condition its not really a huge deal. Fortunately, I may be able to repair the screen before I commit to buying it as the seller is a good friend. That way I will know what I am dealing with.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you start it up, listen for anything that sounds like an exhaust leak. If you hear a ticking that sounds like an exhaust leak, it can be the signs that the engine may spit a plug out of the head. If you hear it and buy it, check the spark plugs for proper torque. Other than that, check ball joints and end links, and be sure the AWD works without bad noises. If it has a sunroof and is wet around the trim, there is a TSB correction and also check the drain tubes.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try tapping the glass screen over the dash. Mine has the same problem and sometimes its just loose. If you tap it, it comes back.

Quick Reply: Looking at an 01 Expy EB 4x4