Expedition / Navigator

Looking to start a new project with My '09 expy limited..

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to start a new project with My '09 expy limited..

Have a short wheelbase model.. Wanted to get some info since I am new to the expy world of aftermarket. Would like it if I could get some help from members with some background...

1---- Plans are to lower it slightly using coils(without hurting the ride quality too much) and adjustable shocks... What do you recommend?

2---- I will also be adding a 2.3 whipple to the truck. Is the trans the same as the F150? if so it shoulf be able to handle the added boost (I have 2wd model unfortunately)

3---- catback+ tune What do you recommend?

4---- 24" black wheels from TrueForged on SVTP... What tire size? Will I have rubbing issues?

5---- Deleted badging and roof rack. Everything but the badges with holes behind them, so everything But the actual expedition badging correct? do the ones on the doors have holes behind them as well? what about the advancetrac badge?

I'd appreciate your help, and if you have suggestions, ideas, im totally up for something innovative and different. within a reasonable budget lol

Old 10-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuelonempty
Have a short wheelbase model.. Wanted to get some info since I am new to the expy world of aftermarket. Would like it if I could get some help from members with some background...

1---- Plans are to lower it slightly using coils(without hurting the ride quality too much) and adjustable shocks... What do you recommend?
if you find the answer, let me know. I too want a 1" drop

2---- I will also be adding a 2.3 whipple to the truck. Is the trans the same as the F150? if so it shoulf be able to handle the added boost (I have 2wd model unfortunately)
same trans mostly...the F-150 has stonger clutches internally, but all other aspects are the same. pretty strong tranny.

3---- catback+ tune What do you recommend?
VMP, Brenspeed, Troyer, Bamachips, JDM, take your pick. Each is good. VMP or Brenspeed are my top choices. They seem to have the best feedback/results from what I've seen on the forums

4---- 24" black wheels from TrueForged on SVTP... What tire size? Will I have rubbing issues?
focus more on the overall tire diameter. you can fit a 33" tire on the factory suspension without rubbing. the stock tires are 32" tall. also factor in how wide your tires will be. try to keep a 10-11" wide tire only. anything wider and you are risking rubbing. bigger will fit of course, but you'll have to test fit

5---- Deleted badging and roof rack. Everything but the badges with holes behind them, so everything But the actual expedition badging correct? do the ones on the doors have holes behind them as well? what about the advancetrac badge?
the doors and tailgate have guide holes behind the badges...dangit

I'd appreciate your help, and if you have suggestions, ideas, im totally up for something innovative and different. within a reasonable budget lol
why the whipple? it's cool, but a butt-ton of money. Saleen had a 4 psi kit for 07+ Expy. I personally would grab that setup and run 6-8 psi. No more though for fear of breaking the rear half-shafts.

Sounds like fun man. If I ever get off this island, i plan on doing a Harley Davidson clone with my Expy. S/H costs have killed me though out here.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:16 AM
Tylus, thanks for a pretty informative reply....

The only reason why I said whipple, is because its been sitting in a garage without being ona car for about 4 years?? in that time its just collected dust, wish I would have stored it properly when I got it.. Whipple says it doesnt need a rebuild or internal cleaning no matter how bad the condition.. I doubt that, And dont really WANT to void my warrantee, so looks like ill just stay NA.

Im wondering if the Older Expys JLT Ram air intake will fit on the 07+Expy? looks like a really nice piece, and also some good gains of power along with the diablo +JLTs tune..
http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/in...products_id=75
EDIT: Forgot the previous expy was a 2v wasnt it? I think im better off looking to see if the F150s intake will fit the expy.... hmmm.

Really wanted a rear exit catback system with dual tips, but looks like no aftermarket companies actually provide it. Seems like Magnaflow is the only player in the game...Unfortunately, visually; it looks identical to stock in the pics provided on magnaflow's website..

Nothing yet in terms of a drop... I guess stock ride height is the only way to go.... *boring* and im not interested in running airbags, reliability is key.

Seems that everyone runs a 305 35 24 tire on these trucks.. but because im going the custom wheel route, ill need something a lil wider for the rear since the wheel will be about an inch wider back there, Since its a 2wd expy, might as well give her a mean street look.

Another question..... I know the Navi has chrome trim that goes on the rubber at the bottom of all the windows in the doors, and also a different rear window with a chrome trim on the bottom.... I like the line that highlights the lenght of the vehicle. Anyone know whats involved in the swap???

Thanks again

Last edited by Fuelonempty; 10-30-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:56 AM
For the drop go McGauphys for 2/2, as far as I know there are NO adjustable shocks for the expy.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:11 PM

as for the Whipple you have laying around...was it on a 2004-2008 F-150?

if so, the Whipple will bolt right up to your motor. the only thing that changed was the drive belts on 2007+ vehicles, and the vacuum hoses for the 4x4 system in 2006 is different from 2004/2006 5.4 3v motors

so if that whipple was on a 5.4 3v motor, you are good in the mechanicals. the MAF on your Expy can be extended to move to the top of the intake with the throttle body. it's just a matter of wiring and tuning at that point.

I suggest you give JDM or Troyer a call and see what they say. the 2004-2010 5.4 3v motor is essentially unchanged. the 2008+ motors have a newer style head, but externall it's the same. It's just electronics and wiring you have to figure out to run the Whipple.

most guys with the 22"-24" rims are stuck with 1 size only. there aren't many choices out there once you go bigger than 20" rims. The General brand tire seems to be a really popular one.

here are some pictures of the 04-08 F-150 motor vs. the 07+ Expy. See how the MAF is in a different place? I had a Roushcharger on my 2006 F-150 and had looked at putting one on my Epxy...but with me being out here in Hawaii the cost was too prohibitive. I haven't looked recently to see what is on the market. I'm betting really nothing though.

2006 F-150 5.4 3v motor with Volant CAI...MAF and TB are in same locations as stock
2008 Expy 5.4 3v motor with factory airbox

Interested in selling that Whipple?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:25 PM

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/2009-...o-results.html

interesting reading...about 1/2 way down they talk about pulling the snorkel off the airbox. was good for +7 RWHP with tuning on the dyno.

if you are going to stay the N/A route, this might be a good FREE mod to get a tiny bit more RWHP.

when I get done playing with my Mustang, the Expy is getting the following goodies to liven up the performance a tiny bit.
4.30 gears
True-Trac
Custom Tuning
Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams
Snorkel Removal
2-3" drop
22" Harley Rims
Custom Magnaflow DIDO exhaust with tips like the HD F-150 has

btw, the Magnaflow SISO exhaust does look like the factory setup if you have the "Premium" chrome tip from the factory. Except it is bigger diameter. If you want a good dual tip setup, I suggest you grab the Dual In, Dual Out (DIDO) muffler and have your local shop fab up the pipes. That is my plan...I just want both pipes to exit the passenger side.
I've seen quite a few 07+ Expy's out here in Hawaii with Dual exhausts and the setup just doesn't look quite right to me. My last SUV was a Durango with 5.7 Hemi and the dual tips always bothered me. I'm really only after the sound now

Old 10-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Tylus, you think being in Hawaii is bad?? Welllllll my truck is actually in Saudi Arabia lol. talk about shipping charges...

I want to run a DIDO, but there are no qualifies exhaust shops that will be able to do the job. I wouldn't let any of the shops around here touch my truck with a 10ft pole. If I cant have something shipped the way I like from the manufacturer of the catback, I probably will just have to settle with a SISO from What magnaflow produce for the expy.. And yes, I do have the premium tip... I do agree with you by the way, and that was my original intention; to run two tips on one side.

CGS has one, but also a single exit... sounds better than the magnaflow tho, I think..
http://cgsmotorsports.com/php/produc...id=4&appid=150
Gibson also makes a one, thats a sigle pipe split to two to exit, have no idea how that sounds,
and of course Magnaflow..

Opinions?

After your suggestion with the snorkle, Ill definintely be working on getting that out tomorrow. Im really striving for power with this thing, just for a more pleasant driving experience and nothing else. Kinda reminds me of one of the first mods I did with my first mustang and removing the air silencer lol. After taking on so many projects since then and done so many heavy horsepower Fords, it feels like im going back in time over here lol... I also sent an email to JLT, hope they can come back to me with some good news. I mentioned Id by the SCT and tune from them. (i know they use Amazon, and they arent bad for basically stock trucks, at least for lightnings)

As for the suspension.... Seems like there isnt really anything out there for a 1" drop??? done lots of searching and i am really afraid of running something that will hurt the ride quality.. the roads over here already are bumpy enough, and I feel like the stock shocks are BARELY eliminating feeling them inside the truck... I guess im stuck with that as well.

Damn.

I guess this is what happens when your getting into a project that no one really does regularly, like you would for an F150, Lightning, Cobra, or just a plain old Mustang GT... Best example of that would be when you go to the Roush website (surprisingly they have an expedition section) and all you find are bulbs, a seatbelt cover and filters LOL. Ultimate Fail. haha

As for selling that whipple, Im not sure it would be worth it to anyone in terms of its condition plus shipping costs, your probably better off finding one somewhere closer to you... and to answer your question, it came off of an 2004-2005 expy if I remember correctly. I bought it used and missing some hoses 4 years ago, thinking id put it on an F150 eventually, but never got around to that either, and went a different route with the f150..

Last edited by Fuelonempty; 10-31-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:39 PM

in Saudi..wow

yeah, if that Whipple came off a 04/05 Expy then it's for a 2v motor. the Expy got the 3v motor sometime in late 2005 with some models as 2v, some as a 3v. and all 2006+ had the 3v motor

you could source the 3v intake and the whipple should bolt right to that though. from what I've read, the 2v and 3v motors all have the same serpintine belt setup. alot of guys run the Lightning crank pulley for an extra 2lbs of boost

best of luck modding your Expy. damn that has got to be expensive

Quick Reply: Looking to start a new project with My '09 expy limited..