Expedition / Navigator

Lowered '02 2 inches.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 09:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lowered '02 2 inches.........

Today I lowered my Sister's Expedition 2".

I used the Belltech kit. It came with shocks, front coils, and rear bracket with limiting straps for the air suspension.

I was reading some of the stories on here this AM getting your info. Regarding ride harshness after lowering.
I did not install the Nitro shocks. I kept the factory shocks on.(10,000 miles on it)

I started at the rear. Turned of the air bag switch, and lifted the truck. I installed the bracket per the instructions for a 2" drop. Lowered the lift, and turned the air switch back to on. The rear end was dropped 3". Lifted it back up and readjusted the bracket. It is just about 1 1/4" below the factory setting.
With this in mind I set the Exp. back on the ground and remeasured. 2" drop. Perfect. I did not use the straps because I did not use the shocks.

Moved to the front end. I was using my friends shop lift. I personally like the floor jack for this, but with all the tools there it was easy on the lift. You just have to make sure the spring doesn't jump out and send you to the dentist.

If you loosen the upper ball joint, and then lower the lower A-arm and spindle slowly you will be able to get the spring out. Use a floor jack to lower the A-arm, it is easier.(Support the vehicle properly) You also have to remove the drag link for added clearance.
Transfer the upper spring isolater to the new spring. Then put it back in and reattache(77 ft. lbs.) the upper ball joint to the spindle. You may want to install a piece of 3/4" hose to the lower part of the spring to make a lower spring isolater. I did not do this on the left side, but did on the right.
I reinstalled the factory front shocks too.

When all was done I dropped the whole suspension 2". The car needs an alignment now. I purchased the cam eccentrics from Ford this AM, and will have the alignment shop install them when I get it aligned in a week. Let everything settle first.

The ride is outstanding. It will fit in the garage now, and my Sister was pleased.

This is an easy job if you have some technical experience and tools.

Last edited by MKTRUCK; 03-01-2003 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you make it sound so easy, like it could be done faster than changing the oil. If possible, post some pics, would be very interesting to see how its setting.

Old 03-04-2003, 10:36 PM
It is easy Alan. Regarding pics. That is not easy.lol
Look for one Sexpedition's posts. He has pics of his car, and some good info too.

Mike

Old 03-04-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by MKTRUCK
It is easy Alan. Regarding pics. That is not easy.lol
Look for one Sexpedition's posts. He has pics of his car, and some good info too.

Mike
damn, it was a big deal for me to change the front pads on my truck and repack the bearings, so the suspension kit might be just outside of my grasp. One of those things that often times I know just enough about what I am doing to be dangerous and run the risk of really screwing up a project. Also, I have seen sexpedition's truck (just like mine except white) and it looks like more than a 2 inch drop. I'll tell you what, I'll stick w/ talking/posting digital pics and you can stick w/ lowering expeditions.

Last edited by AlanM96SS; 03-05-2003 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:39 AM
Alan,

If you can do your bearings and pads, you can do a lowering kit.

Just use caution when lowering and raising the lower A-arm to remove or install the spring.

Mike

Old 03-05-2003, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I might be looking for you this summer when I'm ready to put my truck down just a bit.

Quick Reply: Lowered '02 2 inches.........