Your sound...what is it?

Old 09-20-2016, 06:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your sound...what is it?

Let’s face it. Sound is subjective. Everyone has an opinion when it comes to exhaust and how they would like their vehicle to sound.There is no right or wrong answer. So, what is your sound? Are you committed to ear-splitting volume or do you like to hold a conversation inside of the truck? What was the first modification that you made to your exhaust system? Are you happy with your current setup or do you plan on making a few changes in the future? Cat-back or muffler swap? Voice it all here.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I like to hear it loud and clear when I stomp on it and be able to carry a conversation at cruise. First modification was BBK shorty headers and OBX-R stainless cat-back with X-pipe all 2.5 inch with 3.5 inch stainless tips.

exhaust 2

exhaust 3

exhaust 1

Old 09-21-2016, 12:10 AM

Don't have any of the underside, but I've got the Super 44 Series SI/DO cat back setup. Love the sound. Stomp it and let it scream! Great start up and idle tone too!

Old 09-21-2016, 06:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by USAFJETMECHANIC
Great start up and idle tone too!
Amen. When I test drove my (quiet voice, used 5.7 Hemi RAM) and I fired it up the first time, the whoooom sound when it started was nearly all I needed to hear. Let it sit there and rumble awhile. Looked up what it had underneath and it was an American Thunder system with a 50HD muffler through Flowmaster. Fast forward a couple years, and I'm working for the company.

That start sound gets me to this day.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:50 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I like a nice tone, medium loudness at most, want to just hear a little purring as I drive, like to hear my music or "Wife Unit" in conversation, don't aim to cause any already overworked underpaid LEO to look my way for a loud exhaust and I don't aim to **** off my neighbors either. I don't like the fluffy sounding tones I hear from many at cruise ins (too much pipe diameter + not enough gasses to keep velocity up = "fluffy").

To me, a 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 with factory exhaust and a mild "purple stripe" cam is about as perfect as a V8 sounds.

Oh yeah ..... and an old Ford flathead V-8 through a pair of Smithys glass packs and 2" pipe sings a really nice highway lullaby!

When I met my Wife in 1978 and went with her and her Ma & Pa to Church that first time, I crawled into that Buick Electra 225 and he started it up, that 455 had a really nice rumble .... not loud, but deep and sharp, yet soothing. Looked under it as I wanted to see what kind of mufflers he had, had some he made and maybe 2-1/2" pipes .... mufflers were made in some well casing sections .... probably heavy, but it was a 225.. Quieter than my '67 Chevelle SS ..... but they really sounded nice. He liked to "tinker" on stuff, taught me a lot ..... welding, etc.

Last edited by tbear853; 10-15-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like a deep heavy tone with a clean non-chambered pulsation. The hint of hollow-tone chambered mufflers don't do it much for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Your sound...what is it?