97 5.4 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 5.4 exhaust

Hey

I got a 97 5.4 f150.

It originally had the side exit before the rear passenger tire.

I went and got duals put on (single in dual out), with a magnapack. - Didn't really like the sound, it was too mellow for me. I took it back a couple weeks later and asked the guy to take the muffler off and put a Y in place.

So, Now I have SIDO no muffler, all 4 cats.

What he did, which I wanted to strangle the guy after I seen it, was go from 2.5" before the original muffler, to 2.25! - to a 2.25inlet Y dual 2.25 out. with 3" tips, because it's all he had.

I like the sound now, but I wish there was more volume and definitely trying to hunt that deeeeep growl.

I've had people tell me get bigger tips it will deepen the sound. - This is what I'm looking for.
The guy says he ran 2.25 to 6" diesel tips. It sounds f%%king awesome. - He wasn't clear in the video or description or comments what he actually did.

I really don't want to go hacking off the Cats, I'm in SC no emission testing, But I'm thinking I'm at least going to have to chop the rears to get that sound.

Does anyone believe that a bigger tip will deepen the tone like this? I wouldn't mind going to a 5" or so.

Was just looking for some input on what I should do? Any ideas??

Thanks

Old 06-16-2015, 07:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The pipe downsizing won't hurt performance as it isn't drastic, but it will cut down on your deep mellow tone.

The main thing holding your system back is the OE 4 cat system. Hack them out for a set of Magnaflow hi-flow cats, and run a small round body muffler. The cat work will increase volume, and the round body muffler ( straight through design ) will create the deep heavy tone.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:21 PM
Are you saying chop all 4? And replace with 2 high flows? Im in SC where there is no emission testing, what is your opinion on cutting the back two out and leaving the mufflers off and doing gotts mod on the rear o2s? I already got a catalyst deficiency for one converter. Need to get rid of cel anyway, due to 3 coil packs going out and not burning the fuel, but I replaced the coils and plugs last year. Is that too obnoxious? Will it be raspy?

I wasn't ever planning on messing with the cats if I didn't have to and I really dont want to mess with it, I hate that I paid to have the exhaust done then had the muffler took off, then now wanting something else but don't want to spend too much more.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
The pipe downsizing won't hurt performance as it isn't drastic, but it will cut down on your deep mellow tone.

The main thing holding your system back is the OE 4 cat system. Hack them out for a set of Magnaflow hi-flow cats, and run a small round body muffler. The cat work will increase volume, and the round body muffler ( straight through design ) will create the deep heavy tone.
Removing the 4 cat system as stated above. I would definitely recommend running mufflers and not just straight pipe.

Quick Reply: 97 5.4 exhaust