Which Catalytic Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Catalytic Converter?

I need to replace the catalytic converter on my 1997 ford f150 4.6 liter rear wheel drive, it is the one on the drivers side. I have seen some that have the pipes attached and some that are just the converter itself. The ones with the pipes are direct fit(I believe). Can I do this at home myself? I really don't want to pay someone an arm and a leg for labor if I can do it my self. I'm not just sure which one I need to buy, do I need to replace the O2 sensors myself?

Thank you

Old 04-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The ones with tubing are direct fit. If you are inclined to do the work with the proper tools you can. Depending on your environment the flanges and bolts may be very rusted and difficult to break free. A direct fit piece will cost much more than paying a shop to drop the Y pipe assembly and make it work though. At least if they actually know what they are doing.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:09 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
The ones with tubing are direct fit. If you are inclined to do the work with the proper tools you can. Depending on your environment the flanges and bolts may be very rusted and difficult to break free. A direct fit piece will cost much more than paying a shop to drop the Y pipe assembly and make it work though. At least if they actually know what they are doing.

Good points. The one thing I'll add though is the quality. The magnaflow direct fits are good SS and mandrel bent. I know for our generation the full cat kit is about 700 on Amazon. That quality would be higher from a shop.

Quick Reply: Which Catalytic Converter?