New exhaust, surprised at stores suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New exhaust, surprised at stores suggestion

I went with a friend to a custom exhaust shop to learn what their most common mod is to our 5.4. I was surprised when he said.....
"Y pipe behind the cat and dual pipes out, no muffler, $175." I said ok, do it. It ended up being $195 after adding the tips for each side. I chose them out each side. They managed this with no problem. The passenger side comes out as if stock behind the rear tire, but he ran the pipe up high and bent it at an angle down and towards the rear of the truck. The driver side goes across right in front of the spare tire and comes out in the same place as the passenger side. I like it since they were able to "hide" the pipes.. all that sticks out are the tips, even when following from behind, the pipes are not visible, only the tips.
Sounds great, not too loud, a low rumble. Still on the first tank of gas, but do not feel any power has been lost.
Sorry I don't have any pictures.

Old 08-10-2001, 11:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation No mufflers?

Hello Beav, welcome to F150online. Am I understanding you correcly in that you have no muffler at all? I'm curious as to what it must sound like with straight pipes like that

Must sound really tough. I'm guessing that your not worried about DOT or law enforcement types taking a special notice to the beautiful sound of your pipes.

What type of Y pipe did you use and what size pipes? Did you use the same size pipes before and after the Y ?

Sorry for all the questions but I can,t imagine driving with straight pipes for more than a couple of miles without getting pulled over or maybe even impounded around here

Quick Reply: New exhaust, surprised at stores suggestion