Help with a part.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with a part.

I had my spark plugs changed by a less than wonderful place a few months ago. When I was looking at the engine earlier this week I noticed a rubber connector that was broken. Autozone told me I had to go to Ford to get it. I went to Ford, they told me that the only way to get the part was as part of something else, that would cost ~1000. They weren't entirely sure that the part I needed even came with the $1000 part.

So now I come to you all, in hopes of actual help. The part in question is inside the 3 boxes below. Autozone said it was called a snorkel tube.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  79.4 KB
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  110.9 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  142.1 KB

Old 08-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
is it the center of those three?

looks like a 5.4L what year truck?

Old 08-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Totally forgot to post year etc ><

2003 V8 5.4L

It is one big piece, not just the center part. The 3 exits are all part of the entire piece.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
It looks like a vacuum port. Best be would be go to a junk yard.

Actually you should take it back to the shop and make them pay for it....

Old 08-11-2012, 11:14 PM
I would, but the shop is closed and for sale. It used to be a great shop but the original owner sold it, which I didn't know. I should have known when the normal guys weren't there, but I didn't think much about it.

I think I only have one maybe two junkyards in town, which is my next stop if I can't find out the actual part name or a way to buy one that isn't a grand for a piece of rubber. . .

Old 08-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Old 08-12-2012, 02:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BobFinnell
Haha, - there yuh go. Knocks the hell out of the dealerships price. And you get all that extra crap to boot!

Hell, it sounds like Ford thinks it connected to the engine; -all of it lol.

Anyway -

That's the coolant tree for the cold climate system. Heats the PVC and IAC up in the sub zero temps.

Those are press fit at the factory.

BTW- No one replaces those. And you won't be ably to pry one out, not in one piece anyway. If you live where it's warm, plug the lines and/or cap. In other words, by-pass it.

Other option, scrap yard plenum (what that piece is pressed into). Grab the entire plenum (or throttle body elbow). You need a 8mm and 10mm in your back pocket for pillaging. Screw driver, pliers and dykes may be useful as well.

What your after -

Good Luck.

Last edited by jbrew; 08-12-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:47 AM

BTW, - Why do you need a new one ? Yours looks fine IMO. Don't see a problem from here.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:15 AM

Yea, it's not broke. This is why I'm so glad I don't work other peoples vehicles anymore. You can do a damn a good job for them, yet they still fabricate a way to dump all over yuh.

Tell you what, bring it to me, I'll cut Fords price in half and only charge you $500. It'll be just like new after I thro a little amoral on it. You can have it back in 5 minutes because I'm so good.

Then I'll take your money, pick up a case a beer and split all the proceeds with the mechanic that originally did the work,- and call it a good day.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Oh it is broke, it is my expert electrical tape job that makes it seem otherwise. If you look at the 2nd picture you can see the tape, if I remove it you can see the rubber piece is sheared in half.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Azazael
Oh it is broke, it is my expert electrical tape job that makes it seem otherwise. If you look at the 2nd picture you can see the tape, if I remove it you can see the rubber piece is sheared in half.
So you just need a hose then? That is a booted heat transfer hose, from the coolant by-pass line. Just takes heat from the fluid by-pass (other two lines in the tree), not the fluid itself.

Options, -

1. You could either remove that line and cap it; -if you live in a warm climate.

2. Purchase the kit from the dealership. This kit is called a "PCV hose/line kit" and runs anywhere from $39 -$59. I've purchased them in the past. Sometimes you can order pieces of certain kits, -most of the time tho, you have to get the entire kit.
You also need a good parts guy helping you. Usually those guys are pretty good, but you never know for sure. There are different kits, so make sure you explain yours to him. You need the cold climate kit. If the parts guy does a "say what?" , then you have to do a little explaining, as I have here. That said and just so your aware, there are two different cold climate kits (lol). One that takes actual fluid from the by-pass line and wraps the PCV. You don't want that one and it may not even be an option,- since it was discontinued in 02. You never know tho. You may have to look at the parts screen diagrams and assist the parts guy.

3. Remove section of hose that is broken. Take with you to any auto supplier. Purchase a foot of proper sized heater hose. -Sold by the foot. Replace broken hose.

Quick Reply: Help with a part.