2010 F150 - Borla XR-1 (Round #40085) Review and Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arklight
2 more videos added.

Hey, Sweet_n_low! Nope, not lTs here. I live in California so those aren't allowed. Don't want to destroy everybody's bleeding heart lives with sound.
Ahhh, dangit, I forgot!
What a Debbie Downer
Anywho, I'm REALLY considering these Borlas dude. After this writeup, This is like everything I want in a muffler.
That exotic, AGGRESSIVE rumble from Magnapacks BUT, I want it all throughout the RPM range! Not loosing that deepness & loosing sound when me and the Chevy's are running on the Back Roads in Texas, I want that thing to roar!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by Silverfish
Sounds simular to a magnaflow imho
There will always be similarities in exhaust notes, the difference is what you don't hear in the video (prob due to my camera phone). The sound is a lot smoother and consistent than the Magnaflow Magnapack though the entire rpm band.

Originally Posted by sweet_n_low150
Ahhh, dangit, I forgot!
What a Debbie Downer
Anywho, I'm REALLY considering these Borlas dude. After this writeup, This is like everything I want in a muffler.
That exotic, AGGRESSIVE rumble from Magnapacks BUT, I want it all throughout the RPM range! Not loosing that deepness & loosing sound when me and the Chevy's are running on the Back Roads in Texas, I want that thing to roar!
Yeah, CA sucks. lol

It definitely roars. The tone is solid and consistent, I really like it.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:27 PM

Can we have a launch video from outside the truck? I'd like to hear how sounds outside and throw the high rpms. That's my complain with the Magnapack, you loose the exhaust note past 3k rpms.

-Curtis-

Old 07-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Arklight
There will always be similarities in exhaust notes, the difference is what you don't hear in the video (prob due to my camera phone). The sound is a lot smoother and consistent than the Magnaflow Magnapack though the entire rpm band.
Lots of droan in the second video imho... your phone is at fault I'm sure

22 seconds droan starts imho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3dUCvHIGpMM

BTW it sounds fine on a computer with a woofer so I don't think it is the phone : )

Last edited by Silverfish; 07-09-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 PM
If Borla hasn't sent you a job offer yet, they're missin out on a helluva salesman!
Great write up, I could almost hear it as I read along! Sounds great!

Old 07-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Sounds beast Ark. How do you get it to be so nice and deep sounding in 4th gear cruising? My Magnapack is so quiet at cruising you can hear a pin drop but other than that it's a beast.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by lakemarykid
Can we have a launch video from outside the truck? I'd like to hear how sounds outside and throw the high rpms. That's my complain with the Magnapack, you loose the exhaust note past 3k rpms.

-Curtis-
I wish I had a way to do that. Unfortunately, I don't have anybody to hold the camera for me most of the the time (my wife and I usually aren't home until later in the day). I will say this though, where the Magnapack sound flattens out in some instances, the Borla does not. It really does hold a good tone. It is not quite as loud as the magnapack, but IMO, it does sound better.

Originally Posted by Silverfish
Lots of droan in the second video imho... your phone is at fault I'm sure

22 seconds droan starts imho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3dUCvHIGpMM

BTW it sounds fine on a computer with a woofer so I don't think it is the phone : )
What you are hearing is actually the volume of the exhaust more than anything. You can't have a deep and loud sound without it penetrating the cab at all, that's simply impossible. I can assure you though, drone is NOT an issue with this system. Once you get out of that initial acceleration, the exhaust note mellows out to a clear and precise tone that stays.

Any drone noticable in the vids dissipates very quickly. A playback devices sound quality is limited to that of the recording device. Garbage in, garbage out...as they say. It doens't matter how good the playback device is if the sound it is playing was recorded poorly. I wish I had a high quality recorder so I could do some of these systems justice.

Originally Posted by Remingtonry
If Borla hasn't sent you a job offer yet, they're missin out on a helluva salesman!
Great write up, I could almost hear it as I read along! Sounds great!
HAHA!! Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the review. It's a lot of fun writing them.

Originally Posted by dave06ford
Sounds beast Ark. How do you get it to be so nice and deep sounding in 4th gear cruising? My Magnapack is so quiet at cruising you can hear a pin drop but other than that it's a beast.
I know what you mean. I think it is just the Borla. The oval was similar in this regard. Very deep sounding.

Last edited by Arklight; 07-10-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Remember he has a 6 speed vs our 4 speed

Old 07-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Borla really is top dog for exhaust, hands down. Best sound, best performance, and best build quality. The sound is incredibly unique throughout the entire RPM range, I still get a ton of comments on it all the time and people asking me what exhaust I use.

Just so you know, it will get slightly louder after a few thousand miles.

Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Remember he has a 6 speed vs our 4 speed
Or different differential gears = different cruising RPMs.

Or different tire sizes. Heavy tires make the engine work harder.

Last edited by mSaLL150; 07-11-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:40 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
That's true as well Marc

Old 07-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Hmm I reckon you guys are right. I just wonder why mine is so quiet at cruising? My high flows should be here next week. Can't wait I'm tired of talking and thinking about it! It seems like now that I have the Magnapack, everyone starts talking up and down how awesome Borla is but dang $130 something dollars for one muffler? geez.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Hmm I reckon you guys are right. I just wonder why mine is so quiet at cruising? My high flows should be here next week. Can't wait I'm tired of talking and thinking about it! It seems like now that I have the Magnapack, everyone starts talking up and down how awesome Borla is but dang $130 something dollars for one muffler? geez.
Give the Magnapack about 5000 or 6000 miles and then see what you think. It has a break-in period.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:53 AM
The round XR-1's are even more. Like $100 more. Not sure why.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by dewalt17
????

Summit shows the round XR-1 (40085) @ $129.00 with free shipping.

Arklight, your truck sounds awesome!

Old 07-14-2012, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by dewalt17
They are about $130. You might be thinking of the multicore.

Borla mufflers are 304 SS, have stainless packing material/ceramic (iirc), and have a 1 million mile warranty. The Borla round XR-1 is also larger so more materials are required tto produce it.

Thanks, Netwurker!

Quick Reply: 2010 F150 - Borla XR-1 (Round #40085) Review and Impressions