1/2 My Exhaust is On!!!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1/2 My Exhaust is On!!!

Well, got half my exhaust done today anyways! My LT's are back order so I did the muffler back today because by the time my LT's come in, I'll be traveling a lot and won't be able to get to it for a while. And, doing this part doesn't necessitate re-doing anything when I get to that part. So here it is…how do you guys like it??? Personally, I think it's very neat, super clean, and most importantly, it's different!

Also on a side note, I am extreeeeeeemmmmmlllyyyyy disappointed with my muffler. I have a Magnaflow 12288 (5X8 oval, 18" long). It is entirely tooooooo quiet. Has a good sound, but you can barely make out the exhaust in the truck. My 40 series Flowmaster was much louder. So, I am hoping one of two things; I hope it gets louder with time, and I severely hope the LT's and hi-flow cats will wake them up some!!

remingtonry, if you're reading this…you told me so!!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Old 06-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks cool man! I would bet it wakes up with the lts and cats, not sure how deep it will sound, the 14" made a huge difference in how deep my tone was. If ya don't like it, it's an easy swap. I really like how those exits look, very cool and very original. Give us a vid when it's all done!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Looks great! That's a nice-looking setup you have so far. It will definitely be a whole different animal when you get the LT's and cats put on. Is that why you went with such a big muffler, in anticipation of the LT's? I think it may end up working out ok in the end. Also, what are you spraying your undercarriage with? Mine could definitely benefit from some of that treatment.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by NacsMXer
Is that why you went with such a big muffler, in anticipation of the LT's? I think it may end up working out ok in the end.
Yes, that is why. My plan was to do the entire system from front to back at once, but the backorder on the LT's and my work schedule will prevent it for a couple months. I couldn't wait any longer so went ahead and had the muffler back done. I'm hoping it will work out also and yes, I believe it will from what I've heard on here.

Yes, I chose the 18" muffler in anticipation of that, but I didn't really consider it that big of a muffler. It's almost the smallest oval muffler they have in SI/DO. They have this same muffler in a 14", but I was scared that would be too loud with the full system plan. The 14" in this muffler is the smallest they have, so I only went one size up.

It really does have a great quality sound though. Best way I know to describe it is now it has much more of a quality Mustang sound and not so much of that truck sound.

Originally Posted by NacsMXer
Also, what are you spraying your undercarriage with? Mine could definitely benefit from some of that treatment.
That undercarriage is nothing but good 'ol fashion TLC. Degrease and wash often and coat with a very low mixture of Meguiars HyperDressing….just greasy enough to make everything look clean but diluted enough to keep all the normal dirt and road grime from sticking.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
looks great! i like the exit location.

wheres the video!!!!

Old 06-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good! So does the exhaust! Wow what a gorgeous under body.

We will be in the same boat here by Friday, my exhaust will be about 2/3 done

Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks terrific! Don't worry about that muffler. LT and high flows will make a HUGE difference. You will love that muffler after your done.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by str8t six

wheres the video!!!!
Video/sound clip not worth while. Trust me...it's really that mild right now.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love that exit. Gonna sound great with the LTs and high flows. If not, there are a plethora of louder mufflers out there. Swapping mufflers is the easy part. Building around it is the hard part.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Looks great. How you keeping that thing so clean living up here in IL? lol

Old 06-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by 97madness
Looks great. How you keeping that thing so clean living up here in IL? lol
Ironically, it's been a noticeable difference (to the easy side) keeping it clean here in IL vice out in Cali. My theory; there's just enough ran and such around here to constantly keep the roads clean. In Cali, it never rains in the summer, so you're always fighting dust and road grime. Substantially worse there than here. The rain is only my personal theory, but it makes sense. In Sacramento, I had to dust daily. Even on no wind days, the dust is horrible and the road grime up the sides & underneath is even worse. Out here, I can get away with dusting once or twice a week and don't spend near as much time cleaning underneath as I did out there. Doesn't seem logical I know, but it's true. Even when you do drive in the rain out here, the underneath isn't that bad so seems the wet roads don't add to the aftermath.

But, on the other side of that coin, it still takes a level of TLC and dedication that most don't want to commit to. The key is establishing a level of detail that looks this way. The adage definitely applies here…it's much much easier to keep it this way once it's there than it is to get it here.

Worthy of mention…the underside of my truck has never been painted. This is as she was off the showroom floor. Yes, I've kept it this way for 10 years now!

And yes…I use my truck as a truck. Cleaning up after this suuuuuuukkkkks butt, but I do it when I have to.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 PM
You must not have been here for our winters yet. What part of IL are u in? I'm a little south of Chicago. I know here, spring is nothing but dust here. Fall is almost as bad.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm south...25 miles due east of St Louis. I've been here for two winters and love it. Obviously I can't keep it this way in the winter with snow on the ground, but if it's dry, winter has no bearing/influence on my vehicle care. Heated/drained garage!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Man, I tell ya what...what a difference it makes when you do something right with quality stuff instead of trying to half-@$$ it!!

After a few days with this muffler and quality pipe work, I swear my truck runs better. It just feels all around smoother. Now granted that may very likely be perceived that way due to the significantly smoother sound, but it's still a huge improvement! But still, what a HUGE difference between this and Flowmaster set-up I just put in the garbage.

Now...to get the LT's on!!!! I can't wait cause this thing is still too quiet, LOL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1/2 My Exhaust is On!!!