OBX hi flow kit or Magnaflow cat replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBX hi flow kit or Magnaflow cat replacements?

I'm getting sick of my exhaust leak and cat rattles so OBX longtubes are being ordered soon. Should I order the high flow cats they offer or the resonator kit and install Magnaflow cats instead? 2000 5.4 4x4. I take it you'd weld in the Magnaflows, yes? It looks like the same amount of money going either way but wanted to know if the OBX cats suck. Seems a lot of people bought the headers before the catted kit came out so really there was only one way.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Nothing wrong with the obx ones....

Old 01-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Does the Catted System come with Resonators and Cat's? It doesn't seem to say and the pictures for the two systems is the same on the authorized ebay seller I'm looking at. The OBX website doesn't specify either, but i assume it comes with both the resonators and cat's?

Edit: I'm also curious as to whether or not the O2 sensors will need extensions to reach the back of the cat's if you go with magnaflow's that have the bung mounted in the cat itself.

Last edited by XtremeBawls; 01-03-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Nope, it's either or, not both resonators and cats. Good to know about the OBX cats, just would make installing easier. The winter here is not too bad this year, I might be able to install soon, the leak sounds ghetto.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Well in that case I think if i end up getting new headers I'll just get the resonated kit and add in the magnaflow cat's so the sound is mellowed out a little more.

Our winter is surprisingly beautiful so far. Beginning of January and there is no snow on the ground and it's suppose to be in the 50's tomorrow.

Last edited by XtremeBawls; 01-03-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:55 PM
You are going to add in addition to the res., the cats too? If so, no room I'd imagine. Should still be fairly mellow with the OBX cats alone. I think you'd still need o2 extensions as per your last question.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:57 PM
I believe most people add catalytic converters to the resonated OBX kits. Weren't you also contemplating getting the resonated kit and maggie cats instead of the kit with cats?

Edit: On second thought, maybe you're right, I'm not sure if there would be room for cat's. I guess maybe the catted system is the way to go and then just drill in bungs after the cats. I wonder if you'd throw a CEL with the catted system without doing the Gott's O2 mod.

Last edited by XtremeBawls; 01-03-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by XtremeBawls
Well in that case I think if i end up getting new headers I'll just get the resonated kit and add in the magnaflow cat's so the sound is mellowed out a little more.

Our winter is surprisingly beautiful so far. Beginning of January and there is no snow on the ground and it's suppose to be in the 50's tomorrow.
Sure is nice....

Old 01-03-2012, 02:32 PM

I believe most people add catalytic converters to the resonated OBX kits. Weren't you also contemplating getting the resonated kit and maggie cats instead of the kit with cats?

Edit: On second thought, maybe you're right, I'm not sure if there would be room for cat's. I guess maybe the catted system is the way to go and then just drill in bungs after the cats. I wonder if you'd throw a CEL with the catted system without doing the Gott's O2 mod.
With out the rear o2's .....yes, you'll throw a CEL.....Bill can turn these off via rewriting your tune....

Best bet is to get the kit with the cats and get o2 extensions...

Old 01-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Alright, so if we do this catted kit: OBX Catted Headers

I'm not sure what extensions are best, maybe these: O2 extensions (They're for a mustang, but they should be compatible correct?

These Header Bolts

I'm still unsure what gaskets to get and what O2 sensors to get.

To not throw a CEL, i should just have to drill the bungs after the cats, I shouldn't have to do the full Gotts O2 mod should I?

Last edited by XtremeBawls; 01-03-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:42 PM

I was contemplating it yes, but to chop out the resonators and put cats in their place, not in addition to. From the looks of it there is 2 bungs per side in either kit but yes been warned of tuning out the CEL.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Sure is nice....
In all honesty, it's rare and usually it's bitter cold with zero snow I wore shorts to work 2 weeks ago, a new personal record!

Old 01-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Alright, so if we do this catted kit: OBX Catted Headers

I'm not sure what extensions are best, maybe these: O2 extensions (They're for a mustang, but they should be compatible correct?

These Header Bolts

I'm still unsure what gaskets to get and what O2 sensors to get.

To not throw a CEL, i should just have to drill the bungs after the cats, I shouldn't have to do the full Gotts O2 mod should I?
Look up Sparktecmotorsports.com for the catted header kit, $650 plus ship, the extensions looks good, try ebay too if wanting cheaper, bolts look good, but pricey eh? Gaskets? Original Ford ones, as well as the o2 sensors, both of which I've found at Rockauto.com pretty cheap. This is my findings anyways so far.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:47 PM
So Ford O2 Sensors and Gaskets. I was thinking a copper gasket would be better.

Edit: I will go with the Motorcraft O2 sensors, but they don't have Ford gaskets on rockauto.com so I'm still debating what to get for a gasket. Anyone have any good recommendations?

As for where to buy the OBX kit, I prefer to stick with an authorized dealer.

Last edited by XtremeBawls; 01-03-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:41 PM
So are you mounting the front O2 sensors right after the headers? and then the rear ones right after the cats?

Quick Reply: OBX hi flow kit or Magnaflow cat replacements?