help me build an exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me build an exhaust

first of all id like to extend a big thank you to darrenws6. he has been exchanging many pms with me in reguards as to what to do with my exhaust system and has been very patient. Thanks allot dude

just looking for some more opinions here really

truck is the 07 5.4 4x4 truck in the sig pic. the goal is to not have a visible tailpipe, i like the look without it, so i think whatever i do will have a dump done over the axle (after it turns back down) with a tip on it. like this ( i think this is bnkrpts setup, but i cant find his profile)

first off, anyone had any problems with this style of exit? no problems with the spare tire, or moisture under the truck? if there are ill just run it and do a visible tip

now, the truck right now has a universal 2.5 in 2.5 out 14 inch body magnaflow muffler on it (model 11226). thats all. the goal here is for low and mid range grunt.

darren and I have decided that a true dual setup isnt exactly what im looking for due to cost, and the higher noise/drone.

i like the way the maggie sounds on it right now, but just want it a little bit louder. so what do you guys think

A. keep the 2.5 siso muffler and just put a 3.5 inch tip on the stock catback after it turns back down over the axle.

B. get a 3 inch in, 3 inch out siso magnaflow muffler, take the pipe from a 2.5 to a 3 inch pipe right after the Y in the factory exhaust, and run a 3 inch tailpipe all the way back over the axle then put a 4 inch tip on it after it turns back down over the axle

or if it would be worth it sound wise:

C. 3 inch from the factory 2.5 y, to a 3 inch in 2.5 inch dual out magnaflow and run both pipes over the axle and dump them ( 1 on one side of the pumpkin one on the other)

and lastly, what size muffler should i be considering, am i correct when i say that the smaller the muffler the more noise/power and the bigger, the quieter?

im kinda leaning towards B, but i want opinions. what size body should i do if i were to do either of those options?

thanks guys. i cant wait to hear what you have to say.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Option B (3" all the way through) with a magnapack.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 PM
a magnapack is their version of a glass pack correct? what sizes do they come in do you know?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe i can be of expert on this topic coming from a 3" after the cats split-

Cut off the stock Y and replace with this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-10778/

go with a 3" pipe into a single 3" muffler of your choice, i'm baised as i do have a magnapack 4"x14", you may opt for a 5" or 6" case these won't "pop" like my 4" does sometimes, here are a couple

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B...c&autoview=SKU

Narrowed it down to those i wouldn't spend more then $100 on a magnaflow, for that make the jump to borla good luck

Old 09-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Its not a glasspack. Its a perforated tube. It has no fiberglass louvers like a traditional glasspack

Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by fine_style150
maybe i can be of expert on this topic coming from a 3" after the cats split-

Cut off the stock Y and replace with this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-10778/

go with a 3" pipe into a single 3" muffler of your choice, i'm baised as i do have a magnapack 4"x14", you may opt for a 5" or 6" case these won't "pop" like my 4" does sometimes, here are a couple

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B...c&autoview=SKU

Narrowed it down to those i wouldn't spend more then $100 on a magnaflow, for that make the jump to borla good luck
i saw those transitional y pipes but from the looks of it it looks like it would be hard to make the driver side pipe make that bend to get in line with the y. it looks like the factory pipe butts in with the passenger side pipe at like a 90 degree angle. would you just make the driver side pipe bend and then run into the y?

so the 6 inch diameter one is quieter than the 5? so id want a 5 then if i didnt want the system too loud? what size body would you recommend?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed
i saw those transitional y pipes but from the looks of it it looks like it would be hard to make the driver side pipe make that bend to get in line with the y. it looks like the factory pipe butts in with the passenger side pipe at like a 90 degree angle. would you just make the driver side pipe bend and then run into the y?

so the 6 inch diameter one is quieter than the 5? so id want a 5 then if i didnt want the system too loud? what size body would you recommend?
man that's a question for a tech on the 90* bend, the shop i took it to they cut it accordingly and made the bend, and looks almost OE on mines

yes on the body size, apparently the smaller the louder, i think a 5" case under the bed would suit you well, in a 14" size assuming your not planning on touching the cats in the future as well, other members may have more experience with these other sizes tho

Old 09-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Check it out op.

You like the sound now, you just want it a little louder? I think the best and most cost efficient thing for you to do is this.

Order a 2.5" siso 11" oval body muffler. You have a 14" oval, and love the sound so the 11" will be a little louder, and still have that tone you like. Then run your exit over the axle with a hidden tip.

A 3" system with a 3" out y pipe will be louder and deeper, but from what you stated, I don't think it would be worth the cash for you.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:56 PM
man that's a question for a tech on the 90* bend, the shop i took it to they cut it accordingly and made the bend, and looks almost OE on mines

yes on the body size, apparently the smaller the louder, i think a 5" case under the bed would suit you well, in a 14" size assuming your not planning on touching the cats in the future as well, other members may have more experience with these other sizes tho
a question for a tech? you mean if they can do it that way or not?

the stock setup on my truck is this:

so i dont quite follow how that flows better. if they just cut it off and made a piece of pipe bent to how they wanted it to bend in order to work with that y then i dont quite see how thats any more efficient than the stock y, since the driver side bank is still making its harsh 90 degree turn, its just making it in the pipe, then going straight into the y on your truck where as on a stock setup it takes a more harsh turn into the y itself. it seems like the kind of allot of work to get the pipe to be 3 inches when that y thats on there doesent look to me to be that much more efficient than the one thats stock on my truck. i figured some sort of 2.5 inch to 3 inch transitional pipe ( thats straight, like this for instance http://www.shop4exhaust.com/p-546-fl...250-r3025.aspx) would do just the same, but thats why im asking you guys, if that y you have is better, then thats what ill look into.

Originally Posted by avfrog
Check it out op.

You like the sound now, you just want it a little louder? I think the best and most cost efficient thing for you to do is this.

Order a 2.5" siso 11" oval body muffler. You have a 14" oval, and love the sound so the 11" will be a little louder, and still have that tone you like. Then run your exit over the axle with a hidden tip.

A 3" system with a 3" out y pipe will be louder and deeper, but from what you stated, I don't think it would be worth the cash for you.
well im not being cheap here, if upgrading to a nicer y pipe, 3 inch piping all the way will give me a little more torque to help me turn my recently acquired tires, then im all in. i figured id either use my 2.5 in and out muffler and save the cash, or go to a system that is done right and i wont have to touch again for a while. we all know the 525 dollars magnaflow wants for their siso catback is a little steep, id like to do something custom and be different.

and yes, i dont plan on touching my cats ever. it looks like the best route is to get a 2.5 in to 3 inch out y pipe, then run a 3 inch pipe to some sort of muffler, then 3 inch tailpipe back to a dump and a 4 inch tip. now to find video clips

Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 09-07-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:42 AM

Looks good. You can tell that a quality shop did this install. Look at the weld, no cheap stuff there.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:53 PM
so its looking like magnaflow 2.5 in to 3 inch out y pipe, 3 inch pipe to a 3 inch siso maggie muffler, probably either an 11 or 14 inch oval body, to 3 inch tailpipe to a 4 inch tip thats dumped like the pic in my first post. any advice?

is it advised to run that y pipe like fine_styles ? could i take the y and put it at a 90 degree angle and have one inlet over the other so it doesent have to snake around to fit in there better? then for the muffler if i go with an oval body should i just do center in center out and have it put in tall ways to (as opposed to laying down flat)

is it me or can i not find an 11 inch body 3 in 3 out maggie? looks like a maggie 12229 is the way to go? thats a smaller 8 inch width 14 inch body.

Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 09-07-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Don't spend extra money thinking your going to gain torque, because you won't. If you run a 3" mid pipe, you may actually lose some off the bottom end.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by avfrog
Don't spend extra money thinking your going to gain torque, because you won't. If you run a 3" mid pipe, you may actually lose some off the bottom end.
THIS, i forgot to point out, from my understanding FoMoCo has designed these vehicles for purpose of hauling towing etc. all require torque, so i have to agree with AV, and 2.5" will suffice, i did the 3"s for sound, and the Y transition was sorta a piece of mind kind a thing, and encouragement from members here as well..... but just for kicks let me see if i have a pic of the stock y out so you can get an idea of what it looks like

Old 09-07-2011, 07:44 PM
so then if a 2.5 is best for torque all i need to do is cut off the stock tailpipe dump it where i have posted with a 3.5 inch tip?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 PM

pretty much at LOW end, and honestly with a nice truck like yours i'd do split tails out the rear with some 18" tips....just me, and if torque>sound is the way to go and 11" muffler from magnflow oughta do the trick

blue07stx thanks for the compliments, went into the pit with the welder and made sure everything was done right, they were good guys, just a tad pricey but i ain't complain'

Quick Reply: help me build an exhaust