Exhaust Manifold Stud removal made easy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Manifold Stud removal made easy!

Hi All

Title of this thread is just to get your attention as I am aware that many stud removal attempts will be very difficult and my situation is best of all conditions possible. (only 180,000 KM on this donor block)

With that said, this technique may help some of you extract studs without breaking them off in the head. A little trick which worked well for me.

As per usual procedure; Soak down Exhaust Manifold Stud nuts with penetrating fluid several times a day for several days(if possible)(apply heat to nut prior to removal with 13mm impact socket on 3/4" ratchet or pwr bar)
I used a 3' pwr bar with gentle pressure and did not snap any studs.

Remove all nuts from manifold with stud if they come out that way.

On my Donor motor 11/16 nuts came out with the stud, leaving 5 studs in the head. My solution;
Put box end 13mm wrench over the stud and then spin on flanged stud nut, flange up. spin on 2nd stud nut, flange down. Lock two nuts together flange to flange, as close to block as possible. Turn out with Box end wrench on bottom nut, while keeping side torque down with 13mm on 3/4" ratchet on top nut.

All Five of the studs came out with minimal force and plenty of penetrating fluid. None snapped.

Had donor motor out on engine stand rotated heads down for best access and I know many of you will be working in engine bay with less space to maneuver however if room permits the flange up/flange down, locked stud nuts seemed to work well for me.

Hope this helps someone out.

Take care,
lee

Old 08-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great info!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I just use a 6mm socket or whatever size fits over the end of it with my quarter inch ratchet and took them out that way. You do not need to double wrench them. If they are going to break they are going to break reguardless

Old 08-07-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotts2BMe
I just use a 6mm socket or whatever size fits over the end of it with my quarter inch ratchet and took them out that way. You do not need to double wrench them. If they are going to break they are going to break reguardless
This is how Pat and I did mine. Worked like a champ.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:33 PM
5mm hex stud tip was an option which I thought I'd check out.
However with the corrosion and the stud being frozen there was not enough purchase on the small tip and the socket began to turn ( non-SnapOn )
Made me back off not wanting to twist off stud.

Good tools make for easy work. I'm just your Shade tree generic tool type Dude.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Manifold Stud removal made easy!