My thoughts on the Airaid Modular intake tube.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My thoughts on the Airaid Modular intake tube.

I have been lurking around for a while and haven't really posted much, so first let me give a little background on me since I am unknown on these boards. I might not have many post over here, but I have been a very active member on Nasioc.com as well as Dakota-Durango.com for many years with several project builds under my belt. I have recently sold my 2002 WRX which was pretty well known in this area due to the particular specs on the Hybrid build using a built 2.5L STI block with JDM Spec-C heads and valvetrain (factory Large ports) as well as scroll worth of other mods and parts in the build all of which I personally tuned. My other well known project (to the Dodge crowd at least) was my 2001 Dodge Durango with a 5.7L Hemi swapped in it using factory fuel injection. Again this was a build that I completed myself with a little help from friends of mine at a point when the 5.7L hemi was not a popular swap and the market didn't offer a lot of options for carb or fuel injection setups. I have also tuned and built several other Subaru setups for friends as well as am in the middle of a restoration of a 1937 Cord and building my personal 1967 Lincoln Continental. So basically I have a vast background in and around cars, just haven't posted much over here and still learning a lot within the Ford world.

With that said, I recently purchased from a member here an Airaid Modular intake tube and K&N filter since this seemed to be the best intake mod from all of the reading I have done on these trucks' intake setups. The factory air box has been proven to flow more than enough air to a stock 5.4L (found from a thread that I read on some dyno testing) so then the weak spot would be the snorkel and the baffles in the factory tube.

After installing this setup, I can say without a doubt that this has made a huge impact on throttle resonse down low. The factory tube evidently really chokes the engine of air. I am really impressed with the gains from this mod. No dyno numbers or anything here, but the butt dyno likes it so far. Also of note is the noise level. After having CAIs on other cars and trucks, I have had my fair share of loud intakes and even though there is a bit more grawl out of this intake there is no anoying drone at cruising speeds like others have complained about out of their CAI.

Overall this is a great product that delivers a clean looking install and noticable performance gains. I hope to have some fuel mileage numbers to look at within a couple of months or whenever the fun of putting my foot in it has subsided.

Next mod should be here in a week or so, the Gryphon CS that I just bought off of another member.

Kurtis

Old 02-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 02-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Not sure what your message is in those three post, so let me tackle them with my take on them. Please do not think I am coming across wrong here, just my thoughts overall.

1) this particular intake is what i believe to be the newest version of the MIT. I have seen pics of what they had prior which looked to be straight to the fender much like the factory tube. Again I have in belief that the original looked like this as I have not actually seen one on a truck. I also have no issues with a CEL as mentioned in that post.

Don't get me wrong, this is not going to be the best performing intake on the market and was not purchased in thought that it was. I simply want a better flowing intake without the need for a tune and do not want the noise associated with a full on CAI. The mods I am making are just to get a little extra out of my truck primarily when towing, and a decent factory-ish look.

2) I completely agree, the factory tube is designed to control noise and there is minimal gains simply by removing these. Also yes these truck have been proven to run on the lean side from the factory thus the reason I did not want to tuch the MAF area of the intake track.

3) Basically the same as above.

Again, please don't take me wrong. I am simply trying to post my thoughts on the MIT as it is a decent setup for someone like myself that is not looking for the most power they can get, and just wants to wake up their truck.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Kurtis, can you get a pic of the install for me? I'm considering the Airaid myself.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Yeah, If you can wait until tonight. I am currently at work and do not have access to my photobucket. I have a few cell pics of it already.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LonestarROB
Kurtis, can you get a pic of the install for me? I'm considering the Airaid myself.

http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail....ductID=400-940

MGD

Old 02-18-2011, 06:55 PM
I had the same setup on my 05 Supercrew, and my 05 extended cab 4x4 and never had a problem. No drone, better throttle response, and never a CEL. And it looks allot better than the stock setup.

Trending Topics

Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Old 02-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
No problems on the tube from me....looks great!
But
Ditch that oily k+n....use a paper one instead....

Old 02-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Nice writeup, thanks for posting.

Hey 88, I am totally happy with my oily K&N after 119,000 miles.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Global Moderator &

I was sitting here thinking about the 1937 Cord. Always one of my favorite automobiles. Must be awesome working on that.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:43 AM
I went with the dry filter AFE on my 6.2L Raptor. I had the AF1 on my last truck and this one is as good or better.

TXRaptor

Old 02-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I was sitting here thinking about the 1937 Cord. Always one of my favorite automobiles. Must be awesome working on that.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:01 PM

And here is another rare car that you might like as well. We are working on the restoration of it as well.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Global Moderator &

Very nice! The Cords and Auburns were beautiful cars.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on the Airaid Modular intake tube.