If your set on one exhaust setup but added LT's, what would you do to lower volume?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your set on one exhaust setup but added LT's, what would you do to lower volume?

I had decided on a maggie true dual 2.5" system, based off vids, of the high flow cats, X pipe, 14x4 round mufflers, and the 4" rolled tips. I am not looking for super loud race truck sound but a deep mildly aggressive sound and I think this setup would give me what I want.

I am also swapping out the motor, becasue mine is bad, to a stock bottom end but definitely frpp hot rod cams and now possible the frpp ported heads. With the ported heads and cams I think it will make the exhaust a little louder but I am not real sure how much louder. If I stuck with only these mods I would probably still run the same exhaust setup to try it out. and if it was too loud go to the 18 or 22" mufflers.

Now my question is IF I decided to add long tubes to this mix I am pretty sure it would be louder than what I am looking for. So does anyone know what I should change to get the volume back down to something like the system stated above would have? I dont know if it should be non high flow cats or if there are bigger high flow cats. Or should I still run the regular high flow cats and alter the mufflers to either the 18 or 22" or possibly the larger than 4" round.

I am guessing that keeping the regular high flows in place and just playing around with different mufflers would be the easiest route since a shop would have to do the swapping and the mufflers are easier to get to. I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this. I dont want to totally kill the sound becasue I want to hear the cams doing there thing.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
What does this "quieter exhaust" mean?

I can only imagine how good that system would sound. But if you are afraid it will be "too loud", then the Magnapacks would be the first thing to change. Nothing else will really quiet it down as much as going to a longer oval muffler.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Bump what punished said, I just put longtubes on a month ago and let me tell you just like he did. Only the muffler is going to make it any quieter. I run the 22" di/do magnaflow with no cats just resonators, I just put pics up a few mins ago speaking of which if you need any ideas. I put the 22" muffler in so it wouldnt kill me on the highway, but I can open my cutouts and makeplenty noise when my heart desires. Just food for thought

Old 01-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
What does this "quieter exhaust" mean?

I can only imagine how good that system would sound. But if you are afraid it will be "too loud", then the Magnapacks would be the first thing to change. Nothing else will really quiet it down as much as going to a longer oval muffler.
By quieter I mean taking it back down to how loud it would be with the high flow's and the 14x4's. I gather adding the long tubes up the volume a fair amount. So I guess really what im trying to decide is should I go with the high flow cats still and alter the muffler or alter the cat situation (if there is other options). I am guessing it would be easier to keep the high flows in place and fool with the mufflers but I wanted to see if anyone has down any of this testing already.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:27 AM
If you have high flow cats leave them on, why do headers then go back to stock cats and kill flow those longtubes. Work with the muffler, you can still get close to the same desirable sound you want by going with a slightly bigger casing(size).

Old 01-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by BlackOut07
Bump what punished said, I just put longtubes on a month ago and let me tell you just like he did. Only the muffler is going to make it any quieter. I run the 22" di/do magnaflow with no cats just resonators, I just put pics up a few mins ago speaking of which if you need any ideas. I put the 22" muffler in so it wouldnt kill me on the highway, but I can open my cutouts and makeplenty noise when my heart desires. Just food for thought

I had read through your post some when you were going to put them on I believe...I am not sure what you mean by resonators tho. Your 22" maggie is the one with the X built in? Without cats I know its probably a fair amount louder than if you had high flows???

I have a 06 mustang with no cats lt's and the frpp stinger exhaust (short round body straight through). I know that setup is loud so I wouldn't mind something under that.

This vid the guy says he has a 22" maggi...I am going to ask him if its the di/do with the X in place. I think it sounds pretty good...and I cant wait for that lope!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y14QkWbgbo

Old 01-14-2011, 10:36 AM
I dont have anything yet...I am doing the looking now...soon to be ordering once I settle on what I want to spend on the whole project and where I want to start with the exhaust. I guess having non hi-flows would be counter productive...wasnt sure tho so thats why I posted this.

Trending Topics

Old 01-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Resonators look like cats but smaller and are a 100% straight through design but they do muffle sound just a hair. They are fake cats if you ask me. And yes my 22" does have the built in x core that probably also helps kick it down a notch. And yes it is louder without cats than with high flows. Also I should've asked you from the beginning where your going to exit the tips? This will determine a lot on the amount of drone you will have

Old 01-14-2011, 10:43 AM
What brand longtubes are you thinking about? OBX is popular here because of the price, they are dynatech knockoffs, stainless steel too! $570 shipped

Old 01-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Resonators look like cats but smaller and are a 100% straight through design but they do muffle sound just a hair. They are fake cats if you ask me. And yes my 22" does have the built in x core that probably also helps kick it down a notch. And yes it is louder without cats than with high flows. Also I should've asked you from the beginning where your going to exit the tips? This will determine a lot on the amount of drone you will have
Ok thats what I kinda thought they were but wanted to ask. Exit for the tips had been always straight out the back....but with the cam sound I am slightly considering 45ed but I much prefer the look of straight out the back. Does one way of those 2 alter drone?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:00 AM
What brand longtubes are you thinking about? OBX is popular here because of the price, they are dynatech knockoffs, stainless steel too! $570 shipped

I was thinking the OBX for the price...I am also pulling the motor having it rebuilt adding in cams and maybe pnp heads and putting it back in and also picking up a banks (or the s&b) intake. On top of that a tune so dont mind saving a few on the LT's if I do them.

Also that vid I posted the poster has a few other ones...he said it is a di/do 22" maggie...dont know if it has the X in it tho...dont know if there is even a 22" that doenst have the X in it. EDIT just looked on there site and at 22" it has the X in it.

Last edited by NOLAGT; 01-14-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Would you do maggi high flows or the obx ones...I read they are the same? Is one way cheaper?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Either of those exit styles will be about the same. I wouldn't waste the money I'd put the resonators, they still have 02 bungs on them. If you get OBX headers you gotta choose resonators or their cats so if cats is what you want then I'd just use the OBX ones. If your exiting out the rear I don't think you should go with the 22", it will be way to quiet and your cams will barely be heard. What's the fun in that?? His sounds great but yours won't be that loud with the 22", trust me I know. I only put the 22" because I make long road trips sometimes and don't want to die of drone, so I installed a set of manual cutouts I can open and let it roar during my daily driving. I'd look into the 18" di/do magnaflow with x core. Fatherfords exhaust which is longtube headers, resonators, and 18" magnaflow won best sounding exhaust on thus forum. Look him up on youtube

Old 01-14-2011, 11:28 AM
I was looking at OBX on ebay and they have just LT for 229 or with the resonators for 525 or with cats for 695. It also looks like with cats or resonators it has a Y pipe that I wouldnt use becasue I want the X and only the di/do maggies have the X not the si/do. So If I wanted high flow cats it looks like the cheapest route would be just the obx lt's and get some maggie high flows. I dont think I want to go cat-less on this ride. I saw that 18" version...might think about that one...becasue I definitely want it to be loudish.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
18" is where I'll be going after I get a ticket for my home made mufflers. 4x10" 100% stainless.

Quick Reply: If your set on one exhaust setup but added LT's, what would you do to lower volume?