If your set on one exhaust setup but added LT's, what would you do to lower volume?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I didn't realize they sold headers alone my bad. I haven't looked in a while. I think you will be happy with the 18" out the rear.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Me too...I just looked at fatherfords youtube vid. But I think I am going to stick with high flows...I think with the pnp heads and cams it will also make the exhaust a little louder.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Excellent either way. Best of luck to you! Any more questions just post up

Old 01-14-2011, 01:25 PM
I think I am getting close to what I want to do. I think I will more than likely get the stg 1 pnp heads but I was considering the next stage pnp head from ford racing...but the price jump in that is a lot...like 1200...and only going up to 5k on these trucks N/A I am guessing the gains would be minimal if any at best. I can get the full exhaust setup installed for that price and see more N/A gains from the LT headers. I still need to talk to the place I might have rebuild my motor to make sure of a few thing...but as it stands if I can make it all work I might end up with a s&b intake, stock bottom end, stg1 pnp heads, hot rod cams, obx LT, 2.5" HF mag cat, di/do 18", 18x4" rolled tips and a smile!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by BlackOut07
His sounds great but yours won't be that loud with the 22", trust me I know.
I did have a question about this statement. Why wouldnt mine be that loud if I had a 22" as well? He has lt, high flows, and that 22" mag....only difference is his is behind the rear tire and mine would come out the back.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Is he rocking the 5.4 or the big boy engine? I say that because my truck has No cats and longtubes and its way quieter than his!!! Unless he has a great camera that just picks up sound amazingly, videos don't always sound like the real deal. Don't go 22" you won't be happy I can tell you that. I only use my 22" on road trips, I have my cutouts open all the time!

Old 01-14-2011, 03:01 PM
If your dropping that much money on cams and heads why not just supercharge it? Way more hp for the money.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If your dropping that much money on cams and heads why not just supercharge it? Way more hp for the money.
Because the supercharger can be added later, if the correct cams are chosen, without major down time and labor.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Well yes that would be prime but he never mentioned supercharging later, hence why I decided to bring a supercharger up... has he talked to you about a s/c? If so then hell put the heads and cams on like you said!

Old 01-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Is he rocking the 5.4 or the big boy engine? I say that because my truck has No cats and longtubes and its way quieter than his!!! Unless he has a great camera that just picks up sound amazingly, videos don't always sound like the real deal. Don't go 22" you won't be happy I can tell you that. I only use my 22" on road trips, I have my cutouts open all the time!
He has the 5.4 in it. I plan for the 18" and I will go from there. I know cameras dont always pick up the sound correctly but to get an indea its good. I looked at his drive by vids too. Also I think cams might make the exhaust louder...I am pretty sure pnp heads do (he doesnt have that).

Old 01-14-2011, 03:18 PM

The main reason for the cams is the sound and nothing else...I want that sound in this truck. Its a DD for me so I am not worried about being fast...just peppy and sounding good. I am looking at the heads now becasue I found a place to rebuild my current motor...so while its out and they are building it they will not charge me anything to put them on so why not. If the motor was not coming out I wouldn't do the heads for sure and IDK about the cams...but since its out...I am.

I am not 100% that I want to supercharge this truck...my mustang is...this is just my DD. I will run 93oct in it....but with out the supercharger I have the option to run 87. I live in south lousisana...so hurricane season sometimes gas sells out and I have no option. Also my trany has 140k on it...it wouldn't like the SC too much and I dont want to have to fool with that. One thing at a time. I eventually want 35's and maybe a 4" lift. After that is when I will decided if I want the SC depending on how it preforms. If I add one I will only push 8-10psi for 450ish to the ground...im sure that would be enough on 35's for what im after. If I want fast i'll drive the mustang with 12psi whipple currently about 500rwhp.

Last edited by NOLAGT; 01-14-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Perfectly understandable, I just wanted to bring up the option while we were at it, but with what you just said your definitely doing the right thing!

On the cams are you going to run one supercharger friendly for the future in case change your mind or just go with an aggressive n/a cam?

Old 01-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Only cam I want to run is the frpp hot rod cam like what is in the vid I posted. It gives that lope and doesnt need any other spring upgrade or lockout for the cam phaser. Its not totality SC friendly but that just means it wont make much more power...but thats ok becasue im not looking for all out power. Just enough to make the truck fun and easy to drive in traffic...like my wifes sequoia with the 5.7l.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Well the truck will be pretty sweet once its all said and done!

Old 01-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Thats the plan anyway. I think I have a fee sable setup planed...the cost is cleared with the powers that be if it works out like it should. I just need to talk to the motor people a bit more but that will have to be next week. And then once it starts it will be down for a few weeks I would bet.

Quick Reply: If your set on one exhaust setup but added LT's, what would you do to lower volume?