true duals or single in dual out

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
true duals or single in dual out

Hey guys I stoped by a local exhaust shop today and was getting prices on exhaust. I wanted to go with true duals but the guy stated i would blow out my cats and distroy them so he stated to go with single in and dual out . So Im on the fence I never heard that before and its a brand new truck . Oh its a 2010 fx4 .I only have 6000 ish miles on it. So can anyone out there have true duals on a newer truck have any problems .Give me some feed back on this subject. What should I do . I would really like some idea on whats right and the best thing to do. thanks alot

Old 10-30-2010, 01:07 PM
I've never heard anything like that on a brand new truck. Even if it were true why not go the extra mile and pick up some high flow cats and open up your exhaust more

Old 10-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by not you
I wanted to go with true duals but the guy stated i would blow out my cats and distroy them so he stated to go with single in and dual out .
Wow.. The things lazy exhaust guys say to avoid doing a lot of labor involved work is pathetic these days.

Sir, you can run a true dual exhaust harmlessly, depending on pipe size and bending method, you may lose low end torque, but you more than likely wont tell any difference at all.

X pipe it where the original Y was, 2.5" straight back into mufflers of your choice, 2.5" tails mandrel bend out however exit style you want through whatever tips you want.

2.25" is healthier to run on a small block for low end pulling, but 2.5" is harmless unless you tow heavy loads often.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very ignorant exhaust guy. Go somewhere else now! I will also say, I agree with the above.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by not you
Hey guys I stoped by a local exhaust shop today and was getting prices on exhaust. I wanted to go with true duals but the guy stated i would blow out my cats and distroy them so he stated to go with single in and dual out . So Im on the fence I never heard that before and its a brand new truck . Oh its a 2010 fx4 .I only have 6000 ish miles on it. So can anyone out there have true duals on a newer truck have any problems .Give me some feed back on this subject. What should I do . I would really like some idea on whats right and the best thing to do. thanks alot
i just had a guy say the same thing to me but his excuse was that it may cause warranty issues to run true duals he said just y pipe it where the original muffler is

and he quoted me 150 for it even tho im supplying my own mufflers and tips all hes supplying is the pipe and bending it

im goin somewhere else if im payin 150 even tho its not alot i want what i want done to it not what he reccomends

Old 12-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
So many lazy pipe jockeys out there. If they don't want to do the work and make some cash, screw them. Just keep looking for a shop that is willing to do the work and not make **** up.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Just keep searching for a good shop

Old 12-26-2010, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you may get into warranty problems if your touching the cats now, and thats even if they decide to give u hell for that cuz otherwise they may not find out...anything after the cats and they shouldn't say nothing, except a nice compliment maybe for sounding like a truck not a car

Last edited by fine_style150; 12-26-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: spealling
Old 12-26-2010, 10:30 PM
I'll just throw my 2 cents out. I have a flowmaster 40 series single in dual out, I love the sound. Its loud and has a great sound, but not too loud.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by caseyjoeedwards
I'll just throw my 2 cents out. I have a flowmaster 40 series single in dual out, I love the sound. Its loud and has a great sound, but not too loud.
One of the first setups I did on my last truck was a SI/DO flowmaster. Kit was cheap, like $300 and bolted right up. I liked the sound, wasn't to crazy and out of control, yet sounded good. I have since switched to magnaflows on this truck, not true duals yet, but like the sound of them. If you have the money to set it up right, true duals is the way to go in almost any case. You can keep the cats and it will still sound good.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by caseyjoeedwards
I have a flowmaster 40 series single in dual out, Its loud and has a great sound
That ones up for debate..

Mod engines love direct flow deep toned mufflers. So do the ears outside that listen to it

Old 12-28-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^yup like a magnapack or magnapacks eeeh

JK darren

Old 12-28-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by fine_style150
^yup like a magnapack or magnapacks eeeh

JK darren
I actually would have done Magnapacks originally, but $50.00 for 2 Bullets, Impossible deal to pass on. My next truck ( an '08 FX4 Lux Supercrew 6'5 bed i'm currently looking at ) will get Magnapacks if I dual it.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:24 AM
Same thing happened to me. I went to the shop to talk about a true dual setup and he claimed that it couldnt be done "because of the computer".... lazy *** people... it's a 2001, by the way.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Same here, asked about true duals and shorty headers and 1st was told that it is "illegal" to add headers before you reach the 80k mile mark???????? Then he steered me toward single in dual out with tips for $390. I have worked with this shop before on other non-exhaust matters (they are a multi purp perf shop) so I know that they are good. I asked him if there were any other option and he was like not really but the L-word started to come into my head with this guy.... I just dont get small business owners...if someone came to my small business and wanted work done and wanted to of course pay me to do it I would be all over it man...I need to open a business....you would not believe what I have been through trying to get work done at my house...I usually then just end up doing it myself...Lazy stupid people suck!

Quick Reply: true duals or single in dual out