My exhaust project

Old 08-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My exhaust project

I've been working slowly the last week on my "exhaust project". It started at replacing one of my cats. Once I got them off I realized I probably needed to change both sides. Is there any real way of knowing if they are shot? The opposite one that I thought was bad is spitting pieces so I think that one is bad. The other one I was told was bad, but maybe I was told the wrong one. It was suppose to be loose and spinning inside the can occasionally. My CEL went of once or twice. I shake the can and it seems solid at this point.

I than thought, well I'm this far and the exhaust manifolds look pretty rough, maybe time for headers. Give me some extra power and add a little fun to the truck. I have two bolts that have given me some trouble, and they are soaking with penetrating oil.

So I got all caught up in the excitment and ordered some JBA shorties. I've been going back and forth on replacing my cats with either universals or a direct fit. If I stick with OEM style cats, and not "high flow" type will I still benift any on putting on the headers? I really would just like to go with direct-fit so I can do it myself and keep it nice.

My truck is a 2002 F150 FX Screw 4x4. 125k.

Give me any opinions please. I still have time to cancel the headers if it's not a good idea.

I plan to replace the stock muffler at some point too with something more flowing.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shorty headers=weak. Order some LTs and youll get some decent gains. Get a custom tune and youll see even better gains.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Most people seem to go with long tube headers and high flow once they go this deep. No point in getting stock cats and putting them back on after all this. But high flow and headers will be loud compared to what it is now. but thats just my .02 im not a exhaust expert im sure someone one will chime in soon

Old 08-12-2010, 09:13 AM
I wonder if I should just skip the headers all together than. Just replace the seal and bolts on the manifolds and just replace one of the cats that I know for sure is bad right now (and O2 sensors on both). I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with going with universal high-flow cats.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Scrap the JBA shorties and go for a set of long tubes. You can probably get a set of OBX's cheaper than the JBA's.

Never go back to OEM cats, especially when they cost more than the hi-flows. The 94106 universal's are cheaper and are used much more that the direct fits.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
Scrap the JBA shorties and go for a set of long tubes. You can probably get a set of OBX's cheaper than the JBA's.

Never go back to OEM cats, especially when they cost more than the hi-flows. The 94106 universal's are cheaper and are used much more that the direct fits.

Funny you should say that. I'm checking to see if I can cancel my order for the shorties. If not, they probably will go on. Should get a call soon from the vendor to know for sure.

I've spent some time looking into the OBX's just this morning. Looking at the ones with the cats on them not the resignators. But want something plug and play and not where I need to get a tuner too and/or need to bring it in to get welding done. I've read mixed measages on if I'd need a tuner for them. Seems like there is plenty of discussion on the subject. Sounds like I'd have to extend the sensor plugs and it may run rich.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-E...Q5fAccessories

Old 08-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Long tubes are "plug and play", known as bolt on. You wont need any welding, but a tuner will only maximize your gains. Your truck also might run lean without a proper tune. The best setup you can go with is High flow cats into LTs into a dual exhaust with straight through mufflers. Add a custom tune on there and your truck will be running amazing.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Did manage to put the JBA on the back burner for now and looking closer at the OBX. I would hook it up to the stock muffler for now. See what it sounds like. I don't think I want to go too load. I'd probably just swap out the muffler at some point.

I know there's tons of information on tuners and programmers on the site, and I've looked at a bunch already. But does anyone run a tuner with obx already and could tell me what my "cheeper/minimum" or my "best/disired" option would be. What damages ($) am I looking at. I'm guessing I could go with a single tone for < $300 or a programmer with multiple tunes for $500 ish? Am I thinking correctly?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 PM
I've been going back and forth on this. I've debated on going with these or staying mostly stock (either with a direct cat replacement or a high flow universal) and maybe shorties for the little gain, but less impact on the truck. The "Might Run Lean" bothers me somewhat.

But I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the OBX headers with cats. Can anyone tell me any downsides to these? Anything that I may not expect? Long term? WI Winter weather? I do a lot of short trips to and from work. I'd really love to hear from current owners. (But I hate to start a new thread on the subject).

Still questions lingering on the tuner...

I was wondering if I open up the intake a little (gotts mod) would that help with it not running lean, or would that also contribute to it?

Hurry please, I need to get my truck back together soon. May even order tonight.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Just a quick bump to see if I can get a response this morning yet.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Contact Justin@VMPtuning.com
There will be at least a 2 week wait.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Ordered the OBX Long Headers.

Figure I have to finish off the job with something (Muffler) or should I wait to hear how it sounds with the stock muffler first?

I don't want anything too loud or droning. I want a little bark when I step on it but a purr otherwise. Figure the header and will do a job of making it load as it is.

Should I just cut the muffler out of the oem pipe and claimp in a new one?

I do like the sound of the Punishers Magnapacks and Migdaddy's bullets but I think those are louder that what I'd be happy with.

Last edited by Robare; 08-17-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh they would be loud indeed. So loud that only a select few would love it!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Bullets and magnapacks with LTs will be too loud for you. I would recommend a magnaflow 24" or a Borla Turbo XL. Or if you want 0 drone, buy a Corsa muffler.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you run straight throughs your gonna lose hp cause you have no back pressure throw a h-pipe or a x-pipe on and itll give you some back pressure w/o sacrificeing sound having too much bp is bad but having none is make you lose hp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My exhaust project