Will straight pipes with catalytic converters increase horsepower/gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will straight pipes with catalytic converters increase horsepower/gas mileage?

The search feature isn't working again..I was wondering if I cut off my factory muffler and replaced it with a section of pipe will it increase horsepower or give me better gas mileage? I was thinking of having a Magnaflow muffler installed, but pipe would be much cheaper, and not too loud because of the four catalytic converters.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:03 AM
by opening up your exhaust and letting your motor breath theoreticly yes you should gain power and milage but its illegal to run without a muffler, but theres always a muffler shop thatll do it for you. just dont get caught. its not the most desired or respected muffler but a glasspack is cheap - somewhere around 20 bucks - its a straight through muffler and legal. its as close to no muffler as you can get.

Last edited by jcourtright; 07-28-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Well the problem is the factory muffler has an offset inlet/outlet, can I use a straight length of pipe or a muffler that has a center inlet/outlet? If not, what do I have to do to make it work?

Old 07-28-2010, 03:40 PM
if i were you i would save the money that its gonna take to buy/bend/a piece of pipe or try to rig a center i/o muffler plus the cost to weld it in.... go to a muffler shop and have them hook you up. you want to run duals?

Old 07-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
As long as you still have the OEM Y-pipe and intermediate pipe, there really won't be any performance change. There will be a sound change, but that's really it.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by jcourtright
if i were you i would save the money that its gonna take to buy/bend/a piece of pipe or try to rig a center i/o muffler plus the cost to weld it in.... go to a muffler shop and have them hook you up. you want to run duals?
I'm not doing duals, just the single pipe.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
As long as you still have the OEM Y-pipe and intermediate pipe, there really won't be any performance change. There will be a sound change, but that's really it.
I figured I would just do it for gas mileage for now, plus the sound would be nice.

Trending Topics

Old 07-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
MPG's won't change really. The OEM Y-pipe and intermediate pipe are too restrictive. It should sound relatively good and not too straight-pipe-ish with the 4 cats.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you may see a .2359 mpg increase......not really, but it won't be much of a noticable change to really say you gained anything...maybe a few more miles to a tank.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by dirtyd88
you may see a .2359 mpg increase......not really, but it won't be much of a noticable change to really say you gained anything...maybe a few more miles to a tank.
I've also been told I wouldn't get better mileage with a cold air intake, and yet I'm getting about a mile per gallon more.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by chiaronate
I've also been told I wouldn't get better mileage with a cold air intake, and yet I'm getting about a mile per gallon more.
MPG ratings on CAI differ between location, elevations, driving habits, and many other factors. I have been in the same boat as you. Bought my '77 Series K&N CAI thinking I'd gain a few ponies and MPGs instantly...well I was stupid. It is possible, don't get me wrong, but you have to have all the right conditions to truly see a noticeable difference (1+ mpg) with an intake.

Not trying to bash you, just speaking from experience.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Well that's what I'm saying, 1 mpg is better than none. I'm guessing I'll get at least one mpg from a free-flowing muffler or straight pipe.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:15 PM
you would think, but it won't be that much. promise you. unless you do a full exhaust system, including headers, hi-flow cats, and a reputable company that builds performance mufflers, you may be lucky to stretch 1 mpg will driving no faster than 55-60 on the freeway, no downshifting, and accelerating like a grandma.

you will see sooner or later. even with my custom tunes, CAI, and Magnaflow muffler, during the best Texas temps, I may see a little over 1 mpg increase on the highway. but those 3 mods along cost me a total of almost $1000. grant I have a v6 in a full size truck, but most of the results are the generally the same across the board. if you are wanting to see some serious MPG increase, go on eBay and order a pair of ProComp 2500 cfm electric fans. you will see anywhere from 1-3 mpg increase depending on how you drive....that has been proven.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Lol I usually do drive like a grandma, drives other people crazy. Those electric fans do increase mileage but they're expensive. Maybe I'll just leave the factory muffler on and enjoy the quiet, or at least wait to see how my mileage is on further fill-ups.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by chiaronate
Lol I usually do drive like a grandma, drives other people crazy. Those electric fans do increase mileage but they're expensive. Maybe I'll just leave the factory muffler on and enjoy the quiet, or at least wait to see how my mileage is on further fill-ups.
I got my ProComp efans (both) for $66 and some change shipped to my door. haven't installed them yet, hoping to this weekend.

if you do have a conservative driving habit, then I can say you will probably see a small noticeable increase. probably around the .7-1.0 mpg range...IMO.

btw, got any more pics of your truck by chance?

Quick Reply: Will straight pipes with catalytic converters increase horsepower/gas mileage?