Will straight pipes with catalytic converters increase horsepower/gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Everybody has there own opinion on mpgs, and yes because theres alot of different variables, and the way you drive. But yes cutting off the muffler WILL work. I just cut mine off and welded a pipe in place of it. Sounds damn good if you ask me, helps a liitle on gas, and the best part was it was only about 10-15 bucks worth of piping and i welded it myself. Try beating that price buying a muffler and getting it welded on at a shop. And to answer ur other question, yes a straight pipe WILL work, doesnt need any bends in it. It might move the tailpipe behind the tire back and inch or two, but its not even noticeable. My uncle also cut his off of his and run dual pipes back, also sounds very good as well as mine does too. So either way you go is a good choice. Nomatter what anyone says, allowing the engine to breathe better always helps, and thats what youll get by removing the muffler. Hope this was helpful.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:05 PM
I have more pictures on my profile on here. My truck was recently keyed, I've been meaning to call a body shop and see if there's a cheap way to fix it so that it's not as noticeable.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate straight pipes...

Old 07-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by avfrog
I hate straight pipes...
Lol that's not exactly an answer to the question, but not everyone is helpful.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 PM
runnin with no muffler aint gonna hurt nothing. i cant speak for a stock to straight pipe conversion but i can say when i bought mine it had a blowmaster si/do then i simply cut it out and left it dumped and i gained a good bit of low end torque

Old 07-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Delete your rear cats and swap out your front two with Maggie high flows #94106 then if you want run straight pipes from there.

Last edited by MRLSU2U; 07-28-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In a nut shell...

Straight pipes = All noise and no tone!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by MRLSU2U
Delete your rear cats and swap out your front two with Maggie high flows #94106 then if you want run straight pipes from there.
That would definitely be too loud, I was considering it with the four cats because it wouldn't be as loud..but I only know from sound clips on the internet, so maybe it would still be too loud with four.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by whackemnstackem
runnin with no muffler aint gonna hurt nothing. i cant speak for a stock to straight pipe conversion but i can say when i bought mine it had a blowmaster si/do then i simply cut it out and left it dumped and i gained a good bit of low end torque
I'm surprised, I thought if anything I would lose low torque and gain a little up high. I'm guessing a Flowmaster has less back pressure than a factory muffler, someone correct me if I'm wrong..so it should have more benefit when removing a factory muffler. Have you noticed an increase in gas mileage?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by chiaronate
That would definitely be too loud, I was considering it with the four cats because it wouldn't be as loud..but I only know from sound clips on the internet, so maybe it would still be too loud with four.
Then drop a muffler on there. I have a cherry bomb extreme on my truck. My high flows go on friday. I'll post a vid up Unless you want to stick with the bullet idea

Old 07-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Yeah maybe I'll just have a Magnaflow put in, should flow about the same as a straight pipe. Did your gas mileage improve with the straight pipe?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:07 PM
i got a 2003 and i love the sound but in all reality gas mileage is about the same

Old 07-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by BigCountry5387
Everybody has there own opinion on mpgs, and yes because theres alot of different variables, and the way you drive. But yes cutting off the muffler WILL work. I just cut mine off and welded a pipe in place of it. Sounds damn good if you ask me, helps a liitle on gas, and the best part was it was only about 10-15 bucks worth of piping and i welded it myself. Try beating that price buying a muffler and getting it welded on at a shop. And to answer ur other question, yes a straight pipe WILL work, doesnt need any bends in it. It might move the tailpipe behind the tire back and inch or two, but its not even noticeable. My uncle also cut his off of his and run dual pipes back, also sounds very good as well as mine does too. So either way you go is a good choice. Nomatter what anyone says, allowing the engine to breathe better always helps, and thats what youll get by removing the muffler. Hope this was helpful.
Good to know, thanks..I was just going to just use clamps on mine. I see you have the 2003, that's also with the 2-valve motor? Is it obnoxiously loud, or is it more like the sound of the 2004-2008 with the factory muffler?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Smile

To answer your other question, with the four cats it will not be too loud, if u just dump the exhaust where u cut it off at the muffler itll be loud. But if u do what i did and just weld in the straight pipe, and leave the rest of your stock exhaust piping, itll be loud but not to loud. And despite what others say, its not just noise, it sounds very good with. 4.6s have a good sound to them. Mine sounds great. Thats what u should do in my opinion. Better flowing, better sound, and cheap. Y Not?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by BigCountry5387
To answer your other question, with the four cats it will not be too loud, if u just dump the exhaust where u cut it off at the muffler itll be loud. But if u do what i did and just weld in the straight pipe, and leave the rest of your stock exhaust piping, itll be loud but not to loud. And despite what others say, its not just noise, it sounds very good with. 4.6s have a good sound to them. Mine sounds great. Thats what u should do in my opinion. Better flowing, better sound, and cheap. Y Not?
Ok I have the 5.4, but I'm guessing it will sound about the same? I also like the thought of it being cheap. How much did the gas mileage improve after doing that?

Quick Reply: Will straight pipes with catalytic converters increase horsepower/gas mileage?