New exhaust! Great deal!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New exhaust! Great deal!

Stopped by my local muffler shop yesterday and got an excellent deal on my new exhaust on my 2010 4.6L 3V...

Flowmaster 40 series single in/single out to one in/two out stainless tips infront the rear tire (lightning/roush style)...$229.00 plus tax. It sounds really good, not to loud - just a lil rumble which was all I wanted. I almost went with magnaflow but it seemed a little too quiet for my taste...

I realize I could have got this done cheaper by buying the muffler and tip and having them just install it, but walking in there and getting a good deal that day....out the door in 35 minutes feels good too.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like a Midas job, please tell me it isn't a Midas job.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Nope, place is far from a Midas...It's a small mom and pop shop I've been dealing with for years. I had lots of options, and I realize there are better ways to go than how I went, but it did the trick and I'm satisfied with the sound/tone.

Last edited by Vicious150; 07-09-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Why not a "Midas job"?

When I was a young toad running around Lynchburg our Midas shop was the place to go for the best custom jobs, there was one guy who was a big race fan who went to the "N-th degree" in getting pipes right on custom jobs.

There were no Flowmasters, no Dynomax then, just OE / Midas / Cherry Bombs / Walker / Thrush stuff. There was no use of stainless steel, it was either plain steel or top line "Aluminized Steel".

But that guy was good with a pipe bender!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Nowadays, Midas is one of those shops where you go to get terrible quality exhausts put together for a really high price. They don't even bend their own pipes anymore. They just ship them some premade crimp bent pipes.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Gotta have some pics!

Old 07-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Nice picture! HA HA

Old 07-09-2010, 10:19 PM
pic and vid request here please!!

Old 07-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Lets not lump ALL the Midas shops in together. I visited a Midas shop here in Syracuse and found they werent interested in doing any custom work but as I went to more shops in town I kept getting referred back to one of the other Midas shops. They actually do a lot of custom work and have 2 people there that do a lot of it. They are doing the work on my truck next week when the cats get here. headers arrived yesterday. The interesting part is that they were the same shop that put pipes on my 75 F 100 30 yrs ago so it must be that over the years they have kept their reputation as THE Midas shop to go to in this city for custom work.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Hiwire
Lets not lump ALL the Midas shops in together. I visited a Midas shop here in Syracuse and found they werent interested in doing any custom work but as I went to more shops in town I kept getting referred back to one of the other Midas shops. They actually do a lot of custom work and have 2 people there that do a lot of it. They are doing the work on my truck next week when the cats get here. headers arrived yesterday. The interesting part is that they were the same shop that put pipes on my 75 F 100 30 yrs ago so it must be that over the years they have kept their reputation as THE Midas shop to go to in this city for custom work.
give me the info to this shop, i'm not far from syracuse ny and there is no good shops around here.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
Nowadays, Midas is one of those shops where you go to get terrible quality exhausts put together for a really high price. They don't even bend their own pipes anymore. They just ship them some premade crimp bent pipes.
Oh ..... no doubt that's a lot of them. Even back then, some of the most popular pipes were already bent ... but most were bent using a card from a file. The card told the machine where / how to make a bend to duplicate a stock pipe, but there had to be an operator. For custom work, they just did not use the cards, made bends by sight / judgement and I've seen them toss bad bends into the heap after cutting the good part off. That guy at our Midas shop back then was really good.

Always was good shops and then there was the others who simply replaced pipes. Iffin you find a good shop, Midas or otherwise ..... spread the word.

That's what keeps them in place.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F midas, support the little guys. They do better work anyway!

Old 07-10-2010, 02:52 PM
ya know what, Im at a point in my life where I do support the little guy...ME. If I find someone interested in doing decent work at a price that saves me some money, Im going to go for it and watch out for me. Midas wanted to work with me because they needed the work and they do good work. Its going to save me money too. Im all for supporting the independant operators but I couldnt find one thaat wanted my business and not take me for a ride. Lets be honest here. This isnt rocket surgery. I have to think that if Midas has a guy known for being good, he is probably good enough to put some pipes on my truck and make it go vroom without a premium price. This is a daily driver and plow truck, not a truck I am showing or trying to win prizes for the cleanest welds in the city. They let me bring in my own parts and actually suggested it, so they arent going to take me for a ride with their price on the same parts. Max I will let you know how it turns out and maybe can help with some suggestions by the time Im done Either "yes go there" or "F Midas". I think Ill be getting it done this week so stay tuned.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Midas is a Joke i walked in there a year ago and wanted my exhaust done and there price was OUTRAGOUS. I think they quoted me 175 to cut my oem muffler off and add a flowmaster and they werent going to weld it in they were going to clamp it

Quick Reply: New exhaust! Great deal!