Exhaust Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Confusion

Okay, so I've been up and down this forum looking at what everyone likes/dislikes with exhaust and I'm more confused than ever...

I know it's "do what you personally like" but I'm not sure anymore about what system, size of pipe, exit point, tips/no tips, etc.

So this is what I planned on doing, please offer any suggestions...thanks.

I wanted to run sido 2.25" pipe. I am assuming that is stock on a '06 F150 4.6L. If not, was going to run whatever size stock is.
Wanted it to exit out the corner rear of each side of my bed, behind the tires at a 45* angle. (Like that look better than 90 out the sides or straights out the rear)
Want to have chrome tips on the end...have a chrome tip on the stock exhaust right now, figured I'd find a match and call that done. Any other suggestions on this, like for size, length, etc.
Now for muffler, alot are running magnaflow, i kind of liked the roush offroad youtube video i saw. Basically want a little rumble idle, loud on WOT, but little to no drone cruise. Alot say magnaflow makes one like that. What is the part # for that muffler? Looking to maybe just buy muffler and tip myself and have a buddy weld it all up for me.

Anyone that has the roush off road have any complaints on drone with theirs piped out the rear?

Thanks for the help, and sorry that this has been spoken a million times, but I figured if I got some positive feedback in one thread on this issue, it would be easier for me to collect all my thoughts and piece them all together. Sifting through hundreds of threads finding bits and pieces of info is tough to put all together.

Thanks alot!

Old 11-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stock is 2.5" entirely with a 2.75" tailpipe for all engines, 4.2, 4.6, and 5.4. DO NOT run a 2.25" single exhaust, you will choke your engine horribly. Upgrade it to 3" if anything for single exhaust.

Chrome tips are cheap and will begin to rust from stone scratches ( stones will be hard on tips at 45's ) and this upcoming winter salt will ruin them too. Spend the extra money for stainless steel tips.

The shortest single in dual out Magnaflow you can buy is the 14" body which is part #12198. Since the Roush kits are all dinky 12" long tips with rear exit only as an option, you could spend a few more bucks at the shop and have them bent it to 45s out the back.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Stock is 2.5" entirely with a 2.75" tailpipe for all engines, 4.2, 4.6, and 5.4. DO NOT run a 2.25" single exhaust, you will choke your engine horribly. Upgrade it to 3" if anything for single exhaust.

Chrome tips are cheap and will begin to rust from stone scratches ( stones will be hard on tips at 45's ) and this upcoming winter salt will ruin them too. Spend the extra money for stainless steel tips.

The shortest single in dual out Magnaflow you can buy is the 14" body which is part #12198. Since the Roush kits are all dinky 12" long tips with rear exit only as an option, you could spend a few more bucks at the shop and have them bent it to 45s out the back.
Is it best to have shorter bodies? Does that create louder sound b/c less restriction area for flow?

Old 11-19-2009, 03:24 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
12198 and call it a day

I am very pleased. You can always add hiflows if it is not loud enough. Once the muffler breaks in it growls nicely. There is a bit of drone but I love it. Nothing obnoxious. I would do what Darren says and go with my set-up

Old 11-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fordbackwoods
Is it best to have shorter bodies? Does that create louder sound b/c less restriction area for flow?
Shorter body = louder sound. Performance is the same regardless of the body length of the muffler because all Magnaflows are the same. 100% direct flowing.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Also, the Roush does not come in just a muffler. You have to buy the whole cat-back which is around 450$-500$ plus or minus. The Roush cat-back only comes in tips exiting straight out that back so you would have to get the pipes bent to exit behind the rear wheels. I would also agree with the 14" Maggy, sounds exactly like you want.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Confusion