04-08 5.4 3V Long Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best headers on the market come from American Racing and Kooks hands down!! However, they dont make headers for our trucks. Dynatech is up there with Kooks and American Racing in terms of quality. The price posted up above really isnt that bad for a set of Longtube Headers. I paid way more than that for the LTs on my vette and GTO.

[/QUOTE]

Correction they do:

http://americanracingheaders.com/FordF150_Catalog.htm[/QUOTE]

Says...link doesn't work? I just joined the forum tonight. My 2004 "new body style" FX/4 with a 5.4 HAD JBA shorties since it was almost new.. But the right side just broke the collector tonight. NEED a GOOD set of LT's /good cats..as soon as possible!! I'm reading this thread as fast as i can to see how well OBX/other brands fit/holdup...etc. I want stainless/good cats......FAST!! Truck has to be back together/ready to pull my trailer Monday........Thanks!!!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by wyattboche
Does anyone know where I can find Lt headers with high flow cats for a 05 f150 5.4L 3v fx4. I can find LT without cats, but would like cats.
EXACTLY what i need FASTTT! Thanks!!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jetpilot2
I just had a set of American Racing catted headers installed (1.75" primaries, 3" collector) with 2.5" pipe going into two FMs. I actually haven't gotten to see or hear the system (out of the country), but from what I'm told the headers are EXCELLENT quality. We're still working on getting a sound I like, but I have no doubt it will be sweet when complete.

If I ever get any good pics, I'll post them here.
The AR's were installed with cats and I got no CELs. They are expensive, but I didn't want cheap knock-offs and AR were great to deal with. The pics aren't great, but here are a few that I took when I had the truck.

Name:  Primaries.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  34.5 KB
Name:  Collector.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  51.2 KB
Name:  25Pipes.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  42.0 KB
Name:  LeftHeader1.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  101.6 KB
Name:  LeftHeader.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  147.0 KB
Name:  Duals1.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  89.4 KB
Name:  ExhaustDriveshaft1.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  79.9 KB
Name:  WattsInstall.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  53.9 KB

Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks!! How fast can they ship??? Where is the best place to buy? I HAVE to get my truck back together and ready to pull my trailer by Monday afternoon...........suxxxx. Thanks!!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Is there an actual vendors list on here......list of best fitting headers..etc? I've been awake most all night trying to figure what i'm going to do to get this back together intime!

Old 04-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Old 04-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Had to get them overnited...so i went with OBX from a vendr on ebay. Question time..OK......they come with the Y-pipe with small bullet CATS....you can see the cores in them. Why did folks say they are not cats?????? Nice looking headers/Y-pipe/Bullet cats.........not sure why folks said you'd need to order Magnaflow # 94106 cats????? Guess i'll be shipping the cats back to Summit! We don't have emissions testing here.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Because the cats create cat inefficiency codes. They are too small to do anything. Lucky you about no emissions.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Weird.....we got it done Sunday afternoon YES it's way louder than manifolds and stock Ford cats....but i have NO..CEL light on????

Old 04-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Futura1965
Weird.....we got it done Sunday afternoon YES it's way louder than manifolds and stock Ford cats....but i have NO..CEL light on????
If you are running without cats, expect it to come soon. It won't be instantly. Probably during your road trip. If you are custom tuned and requested that they be de-activated, then the light won't come on.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Hey Guys!

New to the site, but I've been reading a ton of the articles you've had on here, since I've developed the relatively common issue with manifold studs breaking...

I've decided that I'd prefer long-tube headers but I had a few questions and hope you guys might be able to help me out:

- Looking at either the OBX LTs or the AR LTs. Cost isn't a big issue, but I'm not going to pay twice as much for something that handles just as well. I've seen a few folks have issues with OBX customer service (sending the wrong model of LTs). Have those issues gotten any better?

- Do most of the brands of LTs require O2 sensor extension? I saw on an ebay auction that the OBX allow you to use the factory length O2 sensor. If not, who makes lengthened O2 sensors? I don't mind splicing them myself, but with the terrible winters we get around here, I'd rather have something that's already pre-made and won't run the risk of corroding or getting messed up.

- In terms of hardware, do any of you use anything other than OEM replacement manifold studs? I saw ARP has header studs, but it only gives 3/8". Would those work? I'd rather use something that I won't have to constantly worrying about re-tightening or breaking off again..

- Do any of you guys use header-wrap?

- Any other suggestions on headers at this point? I saw that some of you are using the Magnaflow high-flow cats. Are they pretty much the standard for this kind of application?

Thanks for any advice you can lend me!

JT

Old 08-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Anyone have info?? I know there's gotta be someone who at least has exhaust stud recommendations..

Sounds like I am going with the AR headers and Magna-cats.

JT

Old 07-13-2015, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Futura1965
Resurrecting an old thread here, but did you ever have problems with the cats causing CELs?

Quick Reply: 04-08 5.4 3V Long Tubes