Thoughts on a DIY dual from the muffler back

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on a DIY dual from the muffler back

I am planning on putting an exhaust on my 09 FX4, but since i have all the tools for pipe bending and welding at my disposal, thought i would give it a shot DIY. But looking for advise on routing and the system itself.

Is there a benefit to a true dual setup over muffler split? (indepenent right and left with an X pipe)

Is there a downfall of a muffler split? (2 cats into Y pipe, single pipe into muffler, muffler splits to duals out the rear)

Pipe size? 2.5" all the way back?

I plan on using an 18" 2.5" Single In/2.5" Dual Out Magnaflow muffler

Would i be better off having a muffler shop do this, or is it worth the effort go through it myself. I am pretty good with freehand conduit bending, so i have the artistry for manipulating pipe.

thanks

Old 04-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Single exhausts are better for performance, 3" single to be exact. For true duals, 2.25" X piped is the best way to go for performance.

2009+ stock exhaust is now 2.75". I would suggest ( for Single exhaust ) chopping it from the Y pipe end and run 3" to a muffler of your choice with 2.5" tailpipes over the axle, ( for True Dual exhaust ) Keep it all 2.25" for optimum performance and no low end loss for towing, or 2.5" if a minor low end loss is no big deal and you want a better sound.

Exhaust work isn't a brain poker, its very simple. It just takes a little muscle, a little wrenching, a little bending, and a little welding. All can be done by one man, but done quicker and easier with two.

For tips of how to run your pipes, view the first two minutes of my exhaust install video, after 1:00 minute it displays the routing and layout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui4td...e=channel_page

Old 04-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Single exhausts are better for performance, 3" single to be exact. For true duals, 2.25" X piped is the best way to go for performance.

2009+ stock exhaust is now 2.75". I would suggest ( for Single exhaust ) chopping it from the Y pipe end and run 3" to a muffler of your choice with 2.5" tailpipes over the axle, ( for True Dual exhaust ) Keep it all 2.25" for optimum performance and no low end loss for towing, or 2.5" if a minor low end loss is no big deal and you want a better sound.

Exhaust work isn't a brain poker, its very simple. It just takes a little muscle, a little wrenching, a little bending, and a little welding. All can be done by one man, but done quicker and easier with two.

For tips of how to run your pipes, view the first two minutes of my exhaust install video, after 1:00 minute it displays the routing and layout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui4td...e=channel_page
Thanks alot. Appreciate the advice.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a DIY dual from the muffler back