FLOWMASTER or MAGNAFLOW??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brian2k
That's awesome. I'm sure I will be doing the same thing.

and i guarantee you'll never regret it. especially the first time you turn the ignition.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:09 PM
driving home from the shop, windows down, stereo off...ooooh sweet red light. Light turns green, mat the pedal and just smile

Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 PM
i have a question. i have flowmaster 40 series on my 2000 5.4. i want it louder but i dont want it to sound like them ****ty dodges that when u stump it sounds like there 100 years old ya. can i put high flow cats on it? if so what kind any suggestions will help thanks

Old 06-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by tbowman053
i have a question. i have flowmaster 40 series on my 2000 5.4. i want it louder but i dont want it to sound like them ****ty dodges that when u stump it sounds like there 100 years old ya. can i put high flow cats on it? if so what kind any suggestions will help thanks
You can definately put high-flows on. Search Magnaflow High-Flow Cats...

Old 06-24-2008, 04:38 AM
so magnaflow high flow will make it sound better even with the flow master muffler?

Old 06-24-2008, 08:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes. Much much louder. Pardon that its Chevy but have a listen to my old trucks hi-flow cats and Flowmasters http://youtube.com/watch?v=nvV8fosnK14 I think that sounded pretty good for Flowmasters. Didn't sound like a tin can, heavy deep tone, it droned alot though.

I would say you should get the 14" Magnaflow. Dont get an expensive catback, buy the muffler(s), and tips and have it installed for under $150.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:51 AM
I replaced a FM 2.5" SI/2.25"DO with a Magnaflow 2.5"SI/2.5"DO model #12158. Great sound and no more drone!

Old 06-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Flowmaster vs. Heartthrob

Originally Posted by MudTerrain
The installation of an exhaust system kit is very simple. If you can change your own oil, you certainly can remove your old exhaust and bolt up a new one... Save yourself some dough and give it a try!
Hey Mudterrain. One Iowan to another, altho I am in Central Fla. now, I have a 95 F-150 5.0 302, and am considering either the Flowmaster American Thunder dual or Heartthrob Dual Cat back exhausts. A little bit for mpg and a little bit for sound. Which would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-24-2008, 07:53 PM
ok well lemme tell you my set up than someone please tell if theres something out there that will be louder and a better sounding exhaust... please tell exact muffler and/if high flow cats/ what kind.2000 f150 5.4 drop in k&n, edge tuner, and right now flowmaster 40 series mufflers with out the back dual pipes. i think its sounds good but i wpould liek it to be louder but not sound crappy. that for all the previous suggestion but i thought my exact set up would help out more. and changing my whole exhaust is not a problem so if you think i should do that lemme know... thanks guys this site kicks ***

Old 06-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by brian2k
K great. I definitely want to go with the magnaflows if the tone is lower. I don't want to go with the "glasspack" sound but yet a more performance tone like said above. I will update as soon as the exhaust is on. Thanks for the comments!!
For all intents and purposes, a Maggie is just that - a glorified glasspack -

Old 06-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Do you want to go with a bolt on kit or a custom kit? The Magnaflow kits are pretty damn quiet, way too quiet for my tastes. Flowmasters are not really geared towards performance since they are chambered mufflers. My opinion is to go with a custom set-up or get the Roush bolt on exhaust system. It's made by Borla so it's high quality stuff but it's made to Roush's specs so it sounds awesome !! If you want to go with a custom set-up this is what I'd do ... True dual exhaust with 2.5" tubing, Dynomax Race Bullets or the smallest Magnaflow mufflers that you can buy, and a H Pipe. It'll sound awesome, too !!
Flowmasters are not really geared towards performance? I've had ALOT mstangs in my crew including my 86 Coupe 331 and up until the day I boosted it, it always had Flowmasters (as almost every other mustang of the 5.0 era). Go to any FFW event and look under some of the cars in classes that require mufflers (Street stang/Ultra Stang/Tough Truck etc) and you'll see a whole bunch of Flowmaster mufflers) - I'm not saying they're the best, but they are in every way shape and form geared towards performance.

When it comes to alot of things, including exhaust, bigger is NOT always better - 2.5" Dual is too big for n/a application IMO - unless your piping is 2.25" - a popular setup is 2.5" Flowmasters with 2.25" piping. A single 3" is plenty of flow and if you run the right muffler aka NOT 40 SERIES - a 50 series Deltaflow is great and then I think you'll be very happy - Regardless of what you hear, I've driven vehicles with SI/SO 3" Flowmasters and Maggies and the part throttle response and bottom end is better on the FM - The chambers have thousands of hours in R&D and they work...

Last edited by 7lug; 06-24-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by 7lug
For all intents and purposes, a Maggie is just that - a glorified glasspack -
Well in order to have a GLASS PACK them it would have to be packed with fiberglass correct? Are mufflers do not have that in them. They are packed with a material that will not BURN OUT LIKE FIBER GLASS or Blow Out. We carry a Lifetime Warranty that would cover any of those issues

Quick Reply: FLOWMASTER or MAGNAFLOW??