drone

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Irish FX4
Hey 05supercrew,

Let me no if the Troyer tunes help with the drone. Im thinking of ordering them myself.
My drone is not there all the time!!! It only shows up at certain RPM's and under a load. It can get loud but i no how to feather the pedal to avoid the loud drone.
No problem, I should have it soon.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:55 AM
I too am thinking of Troyer tune. I would like to see if I can fix the edge before I spend more money though...or maybe sell it. I don't mind the sound it makes when accellerating but at a cruising speed or towing a trailer the sound the intake makes is horrible. At WOT it sounds good though. Does anyone have the TP and an AF1 on a 5.4 ? Is is any better ? I am waiting for Bill to get back into town and maybe he can tell me how to set up a good custom tune as well as fixing the drone because I have no clue.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by jamieFF
Does anyone have the TP and an AF1 on a 5.4 ? Is is any better ? :
There should be a few thousand people here with that set up.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
There should be a few thousand people here with that set up.
I no. I wish just one of them would chime in and give us some feedback on the AF1 running a TP custom tune on the 5.4.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Irish FX4
I no. I wish just one of them would chime in and give us some feedback on the AF1 running a TP custom tune on the 5.4.
This is the set up Troyer is pushing so I doubt there is any problem with it.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:34 PM
I have the 5.4 3V with Troyer tunes, Airaid, underdrive pulleys, magnaflow siso, and brisk plugs. The drone is absolutely horrible. Mike said that that it would not go away totally. I might try the AF1, but now I am out $220 for a useless plastic tube. Besides when I change, I need new tunes.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by speakerboy
I have the 5.4 3V with Troyer tunes, Airaid, underdrive pulleys, magnaflow siso, and brisk plugs. The drone is absolutely horrible. Mike said that that it would not go away totally. I might try the AF1, but now I am out $220 for a useless plastic tube. Besides when I change, I need new tunes.
I got Troyer tunes with my 3" AF1 and no drone.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:51 PM
i only way i have found to get reed of the noise is get reed of the air raid intake.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:05 PM
afe intake and drone

I have a 2008 F150 w/ 5.4l, Edge Evo, and afe intake. I get a terrible drone / vibration / whisle on both Stage 2 & 3 of my Evo. When I go back to Stage 1, it goes away. The drone is at low RPMs, low performance situations (going home from grocery store). Has anyone tried wrapping the intake w/ insulation and heat tape? That was going to be my next shade-tree attempt. I don't want to toss my $300+ intake...

Old 06-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Has anyone had the drone with the araid JR and edge?

Old 06-26-2008, 04:22 AM
The drone should be pretty easy to get rid of. At 1800 rpm, the intake frequency should be 120 Hz for an 8 cylinder engine. The speed of sound at an engine compartment temperature of 140 F is about 366 m/s, so ¼ wavelength is 2 ½ feet long. You can either make the total length of the air intake from the plenum 2 ½ feet or use a closed stub at the inlet, which would be nothing more than a 2 ½ foot long tube, sealed at one end and with the open end attached on the plenum side of the MAF on the intake tube.

The reason the MAF will lean out from the drone is that the transfer function of the MAF is compressed as the flow increases, in other words, the change in signal verses the change in flow is steeper at a lower cfm of airflow than it is at a higher rate of flow. Either method mentioned above will alleviate the lean condition at the particular rpm that it’s tuned to. Locating it at the MAF intake (air cleaner side) will also work, but not quite as well.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by baskin
The drone should be pretty easy to get rid of. At 1800 rpm, the intake frequency should be 120 Hz for an 8 cylinder engine. The speed of sound at an engine compartment temperature of 140 F is about 366 m/s, so ¼ wavelength is 2 ½ feet long. You can either make the total length of the air intake from the plenum 2 ½ feet or use a closed stub at the inlet, which would be nothing more than a 2 ½ foot long tube, sealed at one end and with the open end attached on the plenum side of the MAF on the intake tube.

The reason the MAF will lean out from the drone is that the transfer function of the MAF is compressed as the flow increases, in other words, the change in signal verses the change in flow is steeper at a lower cfm of airflow than it is at a higher rate of flow. Either method mentioned above will alleviate the lean condition at the particular rpm that it’s tuned to. Locating it at the MAF intake (air cleaner side) will also work, but not quite as well.
My question is... why is it that some guys have experienced their drone decreasing or going away all together with custom tuning? What aspect(s) are customer tuners able to change to help eliminate the droning?

BTW... thanks for the above explanation.

Will

Old 06-26-2008, 06:07 PM
An exhaust drone you can change dramatically with ignition timing, but about all you can effect on the input side is the throttle position. The one that drones with the AC on seems to indicate that the drone is related to that (more throttle with the AC on)

The tune can obviously fix the lean mixture, but the correct way to do that is to put the tube between the MAF and the plenum, there are some cars that have the closed tube from the factory in order to solve the same problem. There are only two posters in the thread who changed the tune and one had a large effect while the other had none, so the one may have been solving an exhaust drone.

Quick Reply: drone