flowmaster exhaust mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flowmaster exhaust mods

So, a guy my father knows gave me a free flowmaster 50 series muffler. I believe it might be the truck/suv one and I hacked off the old stock muffler and with some clamps a hanger and a little extra tubing we put it on. It def makes the exhaust tone sound alot better, but honestly I was looking for something just a tad more aggresive sounding.

I do have a brand new FM original 40 series SI/DO muffler that I think I'm gonna put on instead. However, since the Inlet of the muffler is 3" I was thinking about going to a shop and having them weld a 3" pipe from my Y-Pipe back to where the muffler is and then just clamping on the muffler myself, with some turndown pipes.

Is changing the pipe size up to 3" from 2.5" a good or bad idea? I mean it kinnda seems stupid to me to have to make a transition pipe that will fit the muffler. I would rather just change the whole pipe size all the way back. Any opinions on all of this???

Old 10-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesnt seem stupid to me, go for it.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:17 PM
3" is really big for a basically stock motor, but it you're only running it a couple feet I guess it wouldn't hurt. I have true dual 3" all the way from the manifold and its loud as hell

Old 10-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Dont they make adaptors like converting 2.5" in and 3" out to weld in on thing like that? If so, thats seems easier & cheaper

Old 10-08-2006, 10:50 PM
I believe they do make adapters, but I was just trying to weigh my options. My logic being that I know alot of people do true dual pipes that are 2.5" in size, and so i figured that if its ok to do that then increasing the size after the y pipe to 3" wouldn't be a big deal. I mean with a Y pipe your converting two 2.5" pipes to one. So i figured going with 3" couldn't hurt the power anymore than doing true duals. Yeah my truck is fairly stock, minus the intake I put on it. However, I would like to possibly do high-flow cats, maybe headers, and def. a good tuner.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:08 AM
Originally Posted by DeathMetalTruck
I believe they do make adapters, but I was just trying to weigh my options. My logic being that I know alot of people do true dual pipes that are 2.5" in size, and so i figured that if its ok to do that then increasing the size after the y pipe to 3" wouldn't be a big deal. I mean with a Y pipe your converting two 2.5" pipes to one. So i figured going with 3" couldn't hurt the power anymore than doing true duals. Yeah my truck is fairly stock, minus the intake I put on it. However, I would like to possibly do high-flow cats, maybe headers, and def. a good tuner.
oh, well 3" might be a bit louder, When I True Dual out mine I want to stick with 2.5"

Quick Reply: flowmaster exhaust mods