magnaflow or flowmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why oh why is the shop taking so long to install my exhaust????? I am waiting for that precious phone call where the magical mechanic utters those 3 prized words..."she's all done!"

Old 06-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Flowmaster!!!

I just got mine done today on a whim. I walked in to Pop's Exhaust in Manchester CT and asked for a quote, he said they had a summer special for $380 for Flowmaster all custom bending (3" pipes) with 4" chrome bevel cut tips. He pulled it in at 3pm and it was ready at 5pm. The sound is awesome when you hammer the gas and subtle when at idle. All around I am happy. It is already turning heads when it roars past other vehicles. I'll take some pics once my camera turns up.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:08 PM
magnaflow all the way

Old 06-03-2006, 10:25 AM
I started out with a Flowmaster American Thunder setup on my truck (Super 40, 3" in/2.5" dual out). It sounded really good, but it was a little louder than I expected and it had a drone from about 1800-2000 rpm. I always noticed it at about 40mph and again at 60mph. It definitely turned heads though. I remember having to gun it to pass a guy driving an '05 mustang on a really long off ramp so I could change lanes. I know he was surprised by where that sound was coming from and I could swear I saw his jaw drop in my rear view mirror. I have since swapped out the Super40 for a 14" Magnaflow. The sound is more what I was looking for - a little more on the mellow side, but still very noticeable.

For volume, I would recommend Flowmaster or take a look at IMCO. From the trucks I've heard with the IMCO Extremes on, they're a bit louder than than Flowmaster. Just be prepared for some funny looks when you take the truck in to get them put on. The mufflers are only 12" long total - about 9" of that is the body. They're basically modeled after the Flowmaster single chamber racing mufflers. Their website has a couple decent soundclips: http://www.grabthepower.com

In the end I guess I'm saying this: If you're looking for a more raw, power-type sound go with the Flowmaster or IMCO. For a more mellow sound, go with the Magnaflow.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Hi I am new here i am wondering the same thing as this guy my brother has a 4.6 with true duals on it with 1 chamber flowmasters on it it is loud but sounds great please let me know how yours turns out thanks

Old 06-05-2006, 09:46 AM
I just got a Magnaflow installed on my truck last weekend. It sounds great! Not too loud, but has a nice rumble. I went with the Magnaflow because it has better insulation inside of the muffler and creates less droning noise inside of the cab. It also provides better performance than the Flowmaster.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:12 AM
well, My 14" magnaflow DI/SO is on. I love it. At first it was too quiet, but it really gets louder as it breaks in. I'm suprised at the difference in sound now compared to 5 days ago. It's not that loud in the cab, but it's much louder outside. Nice and Deeeeep.

Quick Reply: magnaflow or flowmaster?