Cat-back? Whats It For?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Question on Cat-Back Systems

So I have a 2002 f-150 5.4l... my question is... does redoing the exhaust piping from the pipe to the muffler with a cat-back kit make a huge difference in sound/performance? or is it just to have new pipes? I ask this is because I wanted to redo my exhaust and was wondering if it was really neccassary to redo the complete system... Im looking for the sound more than performace...

BTW everybody is going all over the place on what is the best brand for exhaust from Borla, Flowmaster, Magnaflow, and IMCO. So i want to know once and for all what would be the best brand for me keeping in mind that cost isnt an issue and im looking more for the loudest,deepest sound rather than performance

THANKS EVERYONE FOR READING THIS AND MESSAGING! i really dont know much about the exhausts and i dont want to waste the money i saved up on something i wont be happy with or isnt needed

Last edited by xsponge; 08-30-2005 at 01:13 AM. Reason: bad title
Old 08-30-2005, 02:17 AM
Cat back is a new type of back scratcher for your house hold cats. keeps your hands from gettin all the cat hair on them when you pet em along their backs

lol j/k catback mean the exhaust is different from the Catalytic converters back....

and best bang for buck IMCO is cheapest and best for performance and sound

Old 08-30-2005, 03:04 AM
lol i read the first thing and thought u were a bully or sumthing.... lol thanks so much for the comment

Old 08-30-2005, 04:09 AM
Originally Posted by xsponge
lol i read the first thing and thought u were a bully or sumthing.... lol thanks so much for the comment

haha we all give eachother a hard time we usually fight for whos gonna have the first smart aellic comment. so no hard feelings uve passed ur initiation phase!!!

Old 08-30-2005, 07:42 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one can tell you what sound you'll like best. Many like the course baffle Flowmaster/Imco style. Others like refined straight through sound. Go to several manufacutrers web sites and listen to sond clips if you don't already know your preference. Even if they don't have your vehicle, there are plenty other V8 trucks to listen to the type of sound.

If you just want loud and deep, then removing the muffler will do the trick, and it's cheaper than anytihng else.

Old 08-30-2005, 08:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi xsponge;

... your first impression was correct

Cheers
Grog

Old 08-30-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by APT
No one can tell you what sound you'll like best. Many like the course baffle Flowmaster/Imco style. Others like refined straight through sound. Go to several manufacutrers web sites and listen to sond clips if you don't already know your preference. Even if they don't have your vehicle, there are plenty other V8 trucks to listen to the type of sound.

If you just want loud and deep, then removing the muffler will do the trick, and it's cheaper than anytihng else.

thanks for the tip! so i went online to all the sites and i listened to all the sounds and i really like the IMCO stuff.... i dont wanna completely remove the muffler cuz i still need some performance improvement =) SO IVE DECIDED TO GO FOR THE IMCO!!! THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE COMMENTS AND THE HELP FOR THIS FIRST TIME POSTER!

Old 08-30-2005, 03:38 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the tip! so i went online to all the sites and i listened to all the sounds and i really like the IMCO stuff.... i dont wanna completely remove the muffler cuz i still need some performance improvement
Someone has posted that they feel a loss of power at lower engine speeds with an IMCO.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to get one of these (but for a '98).

I know you want sound, but if you don't want to lose performance, consider the above.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:34 PM
i defenitly dont want to lose power...
ive been looking at the borla systems... what do you guys think of them?

Old 08-30-2005, 06:41 PM
according to magnaflow dyno's 9hp 11tq gains on 2004 F150 4.6 or 5.4??

according to IMCO 2005 F150 4.6L 6 hp and 9lb torque

on the expedition 5.4 there is a 7.5hp gain and 3tq gain.

so while yes magnaflow has 12% performance increase or 2-3HP/Tq over imco i guess it comes down to what sound u want because that little of difference is nothin u will feel.

Last edited by Faster150; 08-30-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:47 PM
i defenitly dont want to lose power...
ive been looking at the borla systems... what do you guys think of them?

expensive?

Old 08-30-2005, 08:11 PM
yea... i was listening to the clips on the magneflow sites and the imco sites and though u cant really say much about clips... i still liked the imco sound much more... as for the borla i have a connection that could give me a great deal on them.... waiting for a response on how much itll end up... so besides the cost will the borla be better than the imco system

Old 08-30-2005, 10:20 PM
yea... i was listening to the clips on the magneflow sites and the imco sites and though u cant really say much about clips... i still liked the imco sound much more... as for the borla i have a connection that could give me a great deal on them.... waiting for a response on how much itll end up... so besides the cost will the borla be better than the imco system

check their website i think they post some performance increase dyno's

Quick Reply: Cat-back? Whats It For?