Drivers side manifold removal need opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers side manifold removal need opinions?

I have a 98 F150 4.6L 4X4 with broken studs between the manifold and the exhaust flange. I'm wondering how difficult is it to remove the drivers side exaust manifold so I can remove the two broken (rusted off) studs? Has anybody had this same problem? how did you fix it? any tips are appreciated as I don't want to get robbed by the dealership. Also should I reuse the old exhaust gasket?

Thanks
Mark

Old 02-20-2005, 12:54 PM
i had the same problem but on my 5.4. it was a pain in the a$$ but it can be done. I cant even imagine what the dealer would charge. I ended up buying a set of shorty header since i had to go through the trouble of taking the stock ones off. If you decide to do it yourself be sure to use a lot of penetrating lube. The night before and the day of. Before you start aslo check how rusted the rest are. You may want to purchase a set of damaged bolt removers. I got a set fo craftsman ones from sears for $50. They have come in handy many time so they are not a waste of cash. Definately dont reuse your stock gaskets. Go to autozone ro advanced and get some felpro gaskets. I paid $12. I dont know how it is for the 4.6 but the egr was the biggest pain. Both getting it loose and trying to line it up with the new headers. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:41 AM
If you've done this type of procedure before, it's very routine. There is much more room on the F-150 than in many vehicles. There are many posts here that you can search for tips.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:01 PM
easiest is remove the fender well shroud and just get a drill and some screw extractor bits and just remove them

Quick Reply: Drivers side manifold removal need opinions?