Sound Difference of True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2000, 08:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Sound Difference of True Duals

How much difference in sound is there between true duals and a regular catback?
What is the difference in sound?
With the dual cat setup,I don't know why they didn't go ahead and put true duals on from the factory.

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L Regular Cab 4x2 120" Wheelbase 4 wheel disc brakes/ABS 5 star larait style wheels Toreador Red/Silver 3.55 gears 255/70/16 OWL Delta toolbox, Ventshades, Bugflector, Bullrings, Donnelly compass mirror, 2" Rear drop.
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers w/tweeters mounted flush in the door panels (excellent sound)powered by a Sherwood 35x2 RMS amp
Jensen 50x2 RMS for the 2 Audiobahn AWC10 subs
regcab54@sc.rr.com

Old 01-31-2000, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have them on mine, true duals that is and I love them with Super Turbos. I recommend it. I am actuall looking for a high flow cat system.

Know of any?

------------------
1997 F150 SC, SB, 5.4, offroad, K & N, Westin Nerf bars, trudual exhaust with Super turbos, Power Slider, Power sunroof, bug shield, window visors, black outs, door edge moldings, black, grey, bench seat towing package etc.

Old 02-02-2000, 03:01 PM
I have straight pipes, "true duals", or whatever the proper term is..but what I had done was removing the factory system just past the converter, then a Y-pipe was welded on in it's place, which is where the duals run out the back from. I have 18 or 20in long chrome tips that are probably 3.5in in diameter I would guess. the actual pipes are 2 and 3/4in diameter, which is the largest that can fit without hitting suspension components, etc.. or so I have been told. It is a pretty tight fight with the 2 and 3/4in though. It sounds incredible, and I have a friend with an identical truck, except for he has the 5.4L with the same mod and the two sound exactly the same. I could notice a slight increase in throttle response and transmission shifts when I had this done, so I have been very pleased!! Looks great and sounds incredible! I did the same mod to my 97, had it for 2 years (41,000miles) and never a single problem, now this truck has 47,000 miles and not a problem with it at all. I definately recommend this. I have been told my ford mechanics that the mod has no negative affect on backpressure, b/c the cats take care of most of that.

------------------
TRUCK: 1998 F-150 S/c, ORP, Lariat, 4.6L V8, auto, Dark toredor red/silver, 60/40 bench, Grey leather
MODS: diamond plated UWS tool box with rails, bedliner, bedmat, custom "true dual" exhaust, heavy duty tow package, tinted front glass, bug shield, husky floor liners for front and rear

Old 02-03-2000, 01:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
54:
Sound is almost 100% dependent upon the muffler(s)- not the number of pipes. You can have a single exhaust system with a really loud note- or a "true" dual system that is as quiet as stock. It is my personal opinion that loud duals sound better (deeper note) than loud singles. A nice mellow sound is best for me.

Why no duals from the factory? COST! Double the expense of purchasing, transporting, storing, and installing an exhaust system.

ORP:
True duals and straight pipes are two different things. You can have either one or both.

True duals is where each exhaust manifold exits into a pipe and that pipe does not "Y" into the other manifold's pipe to form a single pipe at any time. There may be an "H" pipe in true duals. The "H" is just used to equalize the exhaust pressure in each pipe.

Straight pipes are when you have no muffler. Usually, the "cats" will only provide sufficient back-pressure in a single straight pipe system. Ford engines do need a substantial amount of back-pressure to build low-rpm power (torque). With true duals and glasspacks, the Expedition lost a noticeable amount of low-end "grunt". Others have reported similar power losses with high-flow systems.

Neal

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, Optima "T-Bone" wheels, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars!!

2000 4x2 F150 XLT Reg. Cab LWB- 5.4L, Tow Pkg, 3.55LS, CD player,Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, Special Appearance Pkg.

http://members.visualcities.com/NoMo

Old 02-03-2000, 07:21 AM
54regcab- I have duals comming out after the cat's. The sound is awsome! You will be noticed. Many peope have asked me what type of exhaust I have. Again thier are no mufflers just pipes and tips. Some have commented how good it sounds when I pass them. However there is a trade off... After install I reset the computor and went fora spin. First thing I noticed was less torque! Second was a slight reconnecense in cab shifting from 2nd to 3rd. After experimenting I was able to keep sound in cab down by working gas pedal just right during 2nd to 3rd shift. Above 65 mph sound may be too loud for some. Upside truck sounds powerful! Gas milage improved! I get 17 to 18 mpg every tank. Conclusion- Had system clamped together. Tested for 1 year. Now I'm Thinking of trying a muffler?? Why? ... It was nice having that powerful sound but I would prefer to have all the torque and a little less sound in cab on highway. Above 75 mph its a little too much..

------------------
Capt. America..,
1998 f-150 XLTSC...2WD.. . 3.55LS rear...auto E40D... 5.4L...Stepside... Ground effects... Billet Pedals... Billet Grill... Billet Brake lite... Oval Mirror... Bed rails... Bug Deflector... Wood Grain Kit...Fog lites... TPS...Air Box... K&N... ss Ford tag.,.Tinted Windows... overhead/floor consoles... Mood lights...Blue bulbs... Alarm...Radar...Dashmat... Fire/Ice rear window tint ...conspicuity reflectors... cd changer...mobil 1... Painted rear Drums... Helwing Sway Bar... Dual Exhaust... Halogen Back-up bulbs... clear corner lens...
Tail lens covers... Leather...Floor Mats... Seat covers...Tow Pkge...
Side window Louvers... Painted Brake calipers... Custom Captian America Paint Job...dual LED brake lights...Rain guards... Painted throttle body cover...sliding rear window...Soon 4.10 gears!!

Old 02-03-2000, 07:52 PM
nomo,
I wasn't sure exactly what the difference was between Straight pipes and true duals, but thanks for the clarification!! I guess that means my system would be considered straight pipes, and as others on the post have stated, they do sound incredible. I didn't really notice a loss in torque, but what you say does make sense. I know that I did notice a gain in throttle response/horsepower. You can really hear every note of the exhaust now, and a friend of mine has a truck identical to mine with a flowmaster muffler, and his is considerably more quiet and not nearly as deep either. A ford mechanic told me that the straights do add a good amount of horsepower (10-15), and although I can't varify this for sure b/c I haven't had a dyno run, it sure feels alot more responsive.

Old 02-03-2000, 08:04 PM
Lightbulb

I'm looking for a deep mellow sound but not too loud.
Would duals with some mufflers do the trick?
If so what type of muffler and what dia of pipe?

[This message has been edited by 54regcab (edited 02-03-2000).]

Old 02-04-2000, 08:11 PM
Thumbs up

Duals w/ mufflers would be my choice.

Going with "true" duals, stay with 2.25" (or 2.5" MAX) pipe diameter. Dual 3" will kill your backpressure and low-end torque.

Mufflers and their "sound" is purely a personal opinion. I have glasspacks on the Expedition and now that they're a couple of years old, they are getting pretty loud. Not to mention that even with 2.25" pipes, the straight-through packs caused a loss in low-end power. Check out some of the websites and find a muffler that YOU like.

Neal

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, Optima "T-Bone" wheels, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars!!

2000 4x2 F150 XLT Reg. Cab LWB- 5.4L, Tow Pkg, 3.55LS, CD player,Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, Special Appearance Pkg.

Old 02-04-2000, 10:30 PM
Talking

I'm going to listen to everyone's exhaust at the VA rally before I make my choice.
I DO want duals though, that much I know.
How can you tell what muffler sounds best without hearing it on an F150?

[This message has been edited by 54regcab (edited 02-04-2000).]

Old 02-05-2000, 03:54 PM
Question

I've read all the threads in both exhaust forums, I still have questions. My goal is not to loose torque/power and increase it if possible. I tow a trailer weighing about 3k lbs max, some of it in the mountains and I know that I will loose some power at altitude. Overall which setup will help me the most?

Stay stock.
Replace with aftermarket single cat back.
Dual pipe cat back.
True dual pipe cat back.
What diameter pipe would work best?
Flowmaster 50 delta series?
Cost is important.

Sound is secondary but I would like it a little louder that stock and not unbearable in the cab on long trips. I plan to make these mods before the summer after I get my Superchip.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

------------------
1999 Harvest Gold F-150 4x2 SuperCab XLT Styleside, 4.6, Auto, Air box Mods, Tow Pkg, Alarm, Snug-Top Hard Tonneau cover(painted to match), 6-disk Pioneer CD changer, Kenwood Tri-Band Ham radio (2m,440,220), Billet grille, Bug Deflector, Clear corner lights, tinted front windows.

Planned Mods: Cat back exhaust, Headers, Superchip, 2/3 inch lower.

Old 02-05-2000, 08:55 PM
https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000328.html

I like Mike T.'s (Superchips Distributor) suggestion.

Old 02-22-2000, 09:47 PM
Lightbulb

I got some prices and one was $315 and the other $350 for the complete job with 2 Flowmasters.
Are these good prices or should I look around some more?

Old 02-22-2000, 11:37 PM
Question

What are they pricing?

The Expedition's exhaust cost $150 installed.

Neal

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, Optima "T-Bone" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars!!

Old 02-23-2000, 11:22 AM
You'll lose torque no matter what if you install a performance muffler. You lose it because you decrease your back pressure. You'll gain some hp though. "Straight pipes" are exactly what the name sounds like, straight pipes, no muffler and no cats. Of course no new vechile can run straight pipes due to the O2 sensors. In my personal opinion, true duals are only good for 2wd vechiles that want hp instead of torque. Torque is more for 4x4's and vechiles that tow.

Old 02-26-2000, 07:26 PM
Lightbulb

After hearing performance cars like Mustang GT and Z28s, I think there is a very big difference in the "rumble" of the sound.
it seems to have more of a deep mellow tone, whereas a "fake" dual setup just makes it louder, not deeper.
(both still sound better than stock though)
nomo, where did you get yours done for $150?

Quick Reply: Sound Difference of True Duals