I Want to get an exhaust, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2000, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
triton4.6,
I do not have the supertruck on mine, I have the split-rear, but I imagine the sound between the 4.6 and 5.4 is virtually the same (unless you have very good trained ears).

bitchin4.6,
I think that it is illegal in OK--the truck has to have a muffler (or glass-paks). I'm not sure though. You should check on the law in your state.

------------------
'97 F150 4x4 Off-Road Extended Cab Lariat Flareside white/tan, tan leather, 4.6, 3.55

bedliner
single-lid toolbox
Gibson 2.5" split-rear exit cat-back exhaust
K&N Air Filter

Many more modifications to come

Old 01-28-2000, 09:34 AM
Cool

Hey bitchin4.6,

You don't have to split the exhaust if that is what you want to do. The F150s have twin cats and resonators, so it is pretty easy to run true duals, but you may have a problem with not enough back preasure. I have read posts on here where people have do that even with low flow mufflers and 3 inch pipes and lost some bottome end torque.

I am planning on doing that and running true duals. I am going to run pipes from each cat out the to the rear of the truck with 2.5 inch pipes and use supertrap mufflers on the end. The supertrapps are a little more expensive, but they are tunable. You can remove some of the disks to increase you backpressure to the right amount to get the best performance from your exhaust.

------------------
Chris Thomas
1998 F-150XLT Flareside STX Sport Package, 4.6L Auto 3.55 Oxford White/Gray interior, Factory Anti-theft system
Picture: http://216.147.104.171/Y2K/members/ChrisT/christ1a.jpg
Homepage: Chris & Brandi's Universe
Mods: A.R.E. Decklid/Oxford White with gray fabric liner, K&N filter with Airbox Mod (removed silencer), Tinted Windows, GTS sloted taillight covers (painted Oxford white to match), Removed STX stickers
Audio: Kenwood Truck speakers with 10" woofers, Rockford Fosgate and Alpine Amps, Ford 10 disk CD changer
Future Mods: 3/4 Lowering Kit (Maybe 4/6 if I don't have to change tires at the same time), 20" rims and tires, True duals with Supertrap tunable mufflers, Superchip, Supercharger, Jacobs Ignition, NOS, and whatever else I can think of!!!

Old 01-28-2000, 10:22 AM
I listened to Gibson clip, it has a very smooth sound - but I don't believe it will give Bitchin4.6 the rumble he's looking for.

Blackenedford,
Mudder has the 40 series flowmaster on his 5.4L w/ single inlet/dual outlet, its loud enough. go find his sig and click on the link to have a listen.

lovemy4X4,
Yes!!! Another Okie! But please don't disappoint me by telling me you are a Sooner.

Old 01-28-2000, 02:00 PM
The clip does not quite capture the idle rumble correctly. It muffles it somewhat. It catches the Acceleration Growl pretty close but not the rumble. Trust me it does indeed rumble! But the ST on 4.6L sounds similar to the 5.4L. The 5.4L is a little louder in stock config.

Triton46, Tell me how to do it and I'll try to do it for everyone.

Old 01-28-2000, 02:56 PM
ponysix8,
I won't disappoint you. I'm not a sooner, I'm an OCU Star. Although, I am a sooner fan....sorry.

It is nice to find another okie, though. I have only run into a couple so far.

Snowwhite,
I was not too impressed with the Borla exhaust either. A friend of mine has it in his '97 F150 4x4. I'm not sure about performance, but I definately prefer the sound of my Gibson over the Borla. That is just personal preference, though.

------------------
'97 F150 4x4 Off-Road Extended Cab Lariat Flareside white/tan, tan leather, 4.6, 3.55

bedliner
single-lid toolbox
K&N Air Filter

Old 01-29-2000, 12:15 AM
Cool

Even though I have a v6 I have a flowmaster 40 series single in dual out with 3 1/2 inch bell tips. It sounds pretty mean(not like a v8 of course) but it turns heads espeacially in the lower gears. I have a neighbor with a Borla system on hi 97 lariat and I wasn't to impressed. The only way you can tell its there is if notice the tips and the little sticker on the back window.

------------------
2000 150 sport solid white, K&N filterpack the rest is still stock....for now anyway!

Old 02-01-2000, 08:06 PM
Question

all right guys i know that i keep changing my prefrences a little at a time and i bet this is getting a little old but oh well.

first off, thanx for your replys and your time. second, you have convinced me that the borla is not very loud,but the gibson is, as well as the 40 series flowmaster. now i want to add this, which one would get more towing power?

Old 02-01-2000, 11:11 PM
no question....Gibson. They tune their muffler to get the best pulling power torque between the 2000 and 3000 rpm range. That is where most of your driving is done. They advertise more pulling power, and of all the things they advertise, that is where they are most accurate.

Some other people may have other experiences, or other opinions on different exhausts, but to me Gibson is *THE* torque adding exhaust.

------------------

bedliner
single-lid toolbox
K&N Air Filter

Old 02-02-2000, 02:30 PM
The Gibson system has more low end power (so i have read) and Flowmaster has more mid range power this I know. I really don't have anything to tow but if I did I would go with gibson or a the Midas performance muffler.

------------------
2000 150 sport solid white, K&N filterpack the rest is still stock....for now anyway!

Old 02-02-2000, 02:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the gibson single aluminized out the back ex. I love the sound and the fit. It did not improve the power and it is rusting a little on the outside, very rusty inside. I would do it again, however I would get the stainless one. I also feel the gibson should have replaced the restrictive Y pipe, it does not. I think a better Y pipe will let the gibson perform as advertised. I did flow tests on the gibson vs stock and the gibson was FAR better.

Chris

------------------
98 SC 4.6L stepside, Gibson headers, Gibson single exhaust, superchip, Intake mods, Piaa's, high end audio stuff.

Old 02-06-2000, 09:04 PM
B-

I had a Flowmaster 50 series installed and love the sound! I had them hold up a Magna Flow, Borla, and Flowmaster. The flowmaster rocked! The shop who installed mine sold all and spent a good 1 hour talking with me explaining things. I was very confident in my purchase and satified to this day. A question I would pose to all is this! Why does the Rosche F150 use Flowmaster? Why do most hot rods & drag cars use flow master? Cause they kick butt! Mr. Rosche is not going to endorse something with his name on it unless he believes in it. That man knows more then we ever will. I had a friend who got a magnaflow (on his F150) and after hearing mine had his switched out. That's my 2 cents!

Good luck! Find a shop who will work with you!

Old 02-07-2000, 12:02 AM
alright i'm pretty tight on money right now so forget the "price is not a fasctor" statement. i have narrowed it down to 3:

1)gibson split rear
2)Flowmaster force II kit
3)Flowmaster 40 series (1 in, 2 out)

the only thing i have a question about is for you guys with the the 40's. do you guys have mandrel bent pipes? if not where did you get your pipes?

thanx again

Old 02-09-2000, 07:41 PM
I just ordered the Borla cat back system for my truck. The reaason I went with Borla is I am not looking for a system that is too loud, which I use to like in my younger years. Also Borla dual rear outlet for my truck has 2.25 dual rear outlet as opposed to the Gibson dual 2.5 outlet for my truck. Hope this will prevent me from losing low end torque. Let you all know when I get it and it is installed. Part # is 14808

------------------
1998 ext cab 4x4 4.6 auto
K&N Gen11, Superchip, fiberglass tonneau cover

Old 02-09-2000, 08:45 PM
I've been lurking the boards for several weeks now trying gain as much info I can find to help in my selection of products I want to add on to the F150 on order.

Thanks everyone for the great help!

I am most interested in an exhaust system, chip and air flow enhancements.

ON ORDER: 2000 F150 Lariat 4x2 SC FS 5.4L Loaded.
FOR SALE: 1995 F150 SC FS 5.0L Loaded w/ Mark III Conversion.

Quick Reply: I Want to get an exhaust, HELP!