F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Exhaust & Intake Systems (https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems-27/)
-   -   I Want to get an exhaust, HELP! (https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems/17137-i-want-get-exhaust-help.html)

Bitchin4.6 01-20-2000 03:17 PM

I Want to get an exhaust, HELP!

i am looking at a borla exhaust or a gibson. the only thing is that i dont want the exhaust before the rear wheel because i heard that it changes the lug nuts to a green shade. i would like to have a split rear exit. what i am looking for my exhaust is sound that is ear busting and with a deep rumble. price is not a factor.

------------------
99 F-150XLT with 4.6, reg cab, styleside long bed, 3.55 ltm slip rear axle, ect., to make a long sory short,it's a lariat without leather or the cd player.

JOHNNY BONDS 01-20-2000 04:01 PM

You don't want Gibson if you want loud, they don't make a loud system. You want loud, go with Flowmaster 40 series muffler or they have a cat-back system, I think it is called American Thunder.

------------------
98 Nascar Edition, Superchip, Airaid, Flowmaster 70 series, bedliner, in bed tool box, Profile bug deflector and window vents, Class III receiver hitch.

cphilip 01-22-2000 11:22 AM

I disagree Jhonny B. The Gibson Super Truck is loud. Sound is great. It does not meet all of his criteria however as it exits out the side in front of the rear tire with two 6 inch by 4 inch square chrome tips. Looks awsome. Sort of like the Lightning, Roush and Bassini's do. You are probably thinking about Gibsons other models in consideration of his exit criteria? If that is what you ment, I probably agree but to make the statement that "Gibson does not make a loud system" I would have to disgree with that.

If youa are worried about the wheel discolor issue, I myself have not ever had a wheel problems with this type of exit after almost 4 years and 47K miles. Many others have had the same experience as I. I am carefull what I clean the wheels with. Only soap and water to protect the clear coat finish on the wheels.

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!), MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening "Summer Grill's", Bosch platinum + 4's.

Bitchin4.6 01-23-2000 04:15 PM

i want it to be t-304 or t-316 stainless steel muffler/pipes. the super truck looks nice, but when i pass someone i want them to see my duels out the back.
thanx

Triton46 01-23-2000 06:21 PM

cphilip,

You have the same engine as me. I want the Gibson super truck, but am wondering about how loud it will be. I do a good bit of highway travel so is it loud at 70 when cruising or just at WOT? I want a catback system that exits in front of my rear wheel, with dual exits, and is quiet except when I get on it.

Can you record your trucks exhaust when you start it and when you get on the gas? I'd really like to get an idea about how this exhaust sounds before I buy it. Thanks!

------------------
The Truck: 1997 Black F-150 Flareside. Regular Cab ORP and Towing Package
The Mods: K&N Filter, Eurolid Hard Tonneau, Profile Windstream Side Deflectors and Ford Bug Deflector.
The Site:
Triton's 4.6 Liter Web Page
www.mindspring.com/~acbradley/index.html

Drifter 01-23-2000 09:23 PM

Bitchin 4.6, Borla makes a split rear cat back for your truck Part#14808. Stainless steel all the way. You can get them at Summit Racing or performance center 1-800-719-8100 for about $560.00.

------------------
1998 ext cab 4x4 4.6 4EOD
KN Gen11

lovemy4x4 01-24-2000 12:04 AM

I will say the same thing. If you want loud, Gibson is not what you want. I love mine, and think it sounds great. It is nice and smooth sound and when I get on it it sounds even better, but not loud. It looks great, though, especially the Gibson tips. If you want to hear the Gibson, check out their web site. www.gibsonperformance.com I have heard several Borla's also, and they don't seem to be too loud either. If you want loud--flowmaster, or glass-packs.

------------------
'97 F150 4x4 Off-Road Extended Cab Lariat Flareside white/tan, tan leather, 4.6

bedliner
single-lid toolbox
Gibson split-rear exit cat-back exhaust
K&N Air Filter

Many more modifications to come

Marv1 01-24-2000 10:39 AM

I have the Gibson Super Truck and it isn't quiet...I agree with Cphilip on this. It's a good system that looks and sounds great and uses stock hangers. Also, no problem with discoloration of the wheel or nuts. I like mine and bought it because of the before wheel placement. You can get other Gibson that exit out the back if placement is a big issue. Gibson quality seems pretty good to me. HTH

------------------
'99 F150 SC, 4x2, Oxford white, flareside, 5.4, 3.55 rearend,
bodyside mouldings, Snugtop hard tonneau, K&N dropin and airbox mod.
Duraliner drop-in (gave up on the Penda Nascar). Gibson Supertruck
No door cracks yet at 5K!!!

Future mods: 2/4 lowering, bra and some Roush stuff.

cphilip 01-24-2000 11:54 AM

Triton46,

There was a sound clip here a while back someone posted or it was linked to an tech article? Anyone know where it is? It was on a 5.4L and compaired stock to Super Truck.

As far as being too loud? Not in my opinion. It is a low rummbly deep tone that you can hear in the cab all the time but you quickly get used to it. Not too intrusive but there none the less. Definately growls on acceleration. You can feel it! Noticable "Old timey V8" Sound all the time. Trust me you will love this thing. I will tell you that, contrary to popular custom, you do not have to cut any of your stock exhaust to put this thing on. Mine came apart at the joint after removal of the clamp. I did cut the clamp cause it was rusty and the kit came with a replcaement anyway. Then, it just sliped right on and matched up to the OEM hangers exactly. I still have my stock one intact hanging in the shed. My point is if you do it this way you can always go back and sell it if you don't like it.

As far as these other guys saying Gibsons are not loud: You will notice they are not compairing the Super Truck. They where just going on his need for a split rear system and they are probably right about those types of systems. Gibson is known for making a non-intrusive sounding split rear system but how loud taht one really is, I don't know. I just stepped in because I knew for a fact Gibson does make at least one loud system that being the ST.

Joshman 01-24-2000 07:06 PM

Hey guys, I have a 4.2l V6 and I want a new exhaust that uses the same layout as stock (stock hangers, etc...). Also, will it sound good with the V6 or will it sound like crap?

Josh

Bitchin4.6 01-24-2000 08:08 PM

i went on the borla web site and seen the part #14808,and the #14808f. the "f" stands for a FIPK and exhaust in a combo pack. i am wondering what company do they use? if they use k&n i will defintly get it. but if they use a different company i might not get it. but if the price is not that much more than the exhaust itself,i'll have to think about it.

thanx,
Josh

P.S. if it is possible could someone get a quote on this combo?

Drifter 01-24-2000 08:34 PM

Thanks for the info on the f at the Borla website. I already have the fipk so I dont need another one. Guess when I get ready to get this system I will have to call Borla to find out how to get the exhaust by itself. Thanks

------------------
1998 ext cab 4x4 4.6 4EOD
KN Gen11

Triton46 01-25-2000 07:27 PM

cphilip,

Ive heard the wav file of the 5.4, but would like to here a members 4.6 with the supertruck to get a better idea of how it sounds. Anyone?

------------------
The Truck: 1997 Black F-150 Flareside. Regular Cab ORP and Towing Package
The Mods: K&N Filter, Eurolid Hard Tonneau, Profile Windstream Side Deflectors and Ford Bug Deflector.
The Site:
Triton's 4.6 Liter Web Page
www.mindspring.com/~acbradley/index.html

BLACKENEDFORD 01-25-2000 07:49 PM

Im kinda confused here....
Most of you say that the series 40 flowmaster is loud. Well Ive got one on my truck and its not very loud at all. I did however keep the stock tailpipe just to save some bucks. Is it still choaked up? Could I get some better sounds if I just bend it out the side? Should I have gotten the single in/dual out?

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 XLT BLACK ORP 4.6 5 SPEED 3.55
LUND HOOD SHEILD
K&N
FLOWMASTER SERIES 40
PREMIUM SOUND W/CHANGER
PIONEER 6815's(for now)
SUPERCHIP
AIRBOX MOD

Bitchin4.6 01-27-2000 08:01 AM

does any one have no muffler where you take 1 pipe out the cat. and split it into to 2 rear exits?